YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Men's basketball at UW-Milwaukee

<< < (2/3) > >>

guinpen:

--- Quote from: ysuscuba on January 31, 2012, 10:08:28 PM ---Nice rebound from last week!  Go Guins!

--- End quote ---

Agreed, nice game and great start to the trip

ysuscuba:
I am still amazed we are 7-4 in the Horizon! ;D  I wish we had the one against WSU early in the season...

Wick250:
That was a pleasant surprise.  If we can take care of business in Chicago, second place is in the realm of possibility.  Who would have thought we could ever post a statement like that.  But Indy is right about the legs and general fatigue.  I am glad that we have Loyola last since their guards are unimpressive and they certainly won't try to play at a fast pace.

If Kendrick Perry has good stats in Chicago and the team enjoys success, it would be hard to deny him player of the week honors.  Imagine that.  Over the course of a season, the entire starting five would win Horizon League weekly honors.  Twilight Zone stuff.  And no, I am not backing away from the opinion that we will be bad in two years.  Just enjoying the moment.

ysufan0505:
Great bounce back win. KP with a great game

ysuindy:
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/138455509.html

Just 2½ weeks ago, UW-Milwaukee's men's basketball team was leading the Horizon League and riding a three-game winning streak.

Five games and four losses later, the Panthers suddenly are searching for answers.

"I really don't know where to begin, other than we are not playing very good basketball right now," coach Rob Jeter said after Youngstown State led by double digits for most of the game en route to a 73-65 victory at the U.S. Cellular Arena on Tuesday night.

"Youngstown State really exploited the areas we are struggling with," Jeter said. "Until we can figure that out as a group, as individuals and as a team, it's just going to be an uphill battle every game."

Milwaukee fell to 14-10 overall and 7-5 in the conference. Youngstown State, which beat UWM for the second time in 12 days, improved to 12-9 and 7-4.

"Teams are trending upward and we're trending downward right now," Jeter said. "We have to put a stop to that."

Kendrick Perry, a 6-foot sophomore guard, went off for a career-high 30 points to lead the Penguins, who went into the game leading the league in three- point shooting (38.1%) and made 7 of 15 in the first half and 9 of 21 in the game.

"When a team shoots (42.9%) from three I can never be happy with that," Jeter said. "But I think things are starting to carry over. Our struggles at the offensive end are starting to carry over on the defensive end. And our struggles at the free throw line are carrying over on the defensive end.

"We're searching for answers right now."

The Panthers shot just 40.3% and made only 3 of 14 three-pointers (21.4%) in the second half. Their Achilles' heel, free-throw shooting, also haunted them again as they made just 9 of 21 (42.9%).

Milwaukee led, 18-17, after forward James Haarsma scored back-to-back baskets, the second with 7 minutes 19 seconds left in the first half.

But over the next 4½ minutes the Penguins made four shots from beyond the arc and got a three-point play from forward Damian Eargle to open a 32-24 lead.

Youngstown State scored the first six points of the second half to build its lead to 41-28 and after that led by at least 10 points until the final 3 minutes, when the Panthers forced some turnovers with their press.

Milwaukee cut the deficit to 65-58 on a basket by Kaylon Williams and forced a quick turnover. Paris Gulley's three-pointer would have cut the lead to four with 2:43 left, but the ball went in and out and the Penguins then went on an 8-3 run to put the game out of reach.

"The good news is the guys continue to fight," Jeter said. "But we have to be smart. You just can't work hard. You have to work smart. We're putting together efforts but the efforts aren't consistent to our rules and principles, which leads to breakdowns.

"It goes back to trust. As a team we have to man up, respect our responsibilities and get back to trusting each other."

Williams led the Panthers with 17 points and added six rebounds and five assists. Kyle Kelm scored 12 points and Tony Meier added 10.

"There's still time to make a move," Williams said. "We're focusing on ourselves right now. We're just trying to get better."

UWM next faces UW-Green Bay on the road at 1 p.m. Saturday. The Panthers beat the Phoenix, 64-63, on Williams' three-pointer at the buzzer Jan. 7, but a lot has happened since then.

"I think we all just need to make sure we're focused on the task and the process," Jeter said. "Maybe it's going to be good for this group to go out on the road and see what we can do."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version