YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Cleveland State game

<< < (6/6)

YSUGO:
IP, another question...when we were in the OVC...when Dom;s and Rice's recruits overlapped...Cherry, Timko, Keshock, Tunstall, gilmore,  Bevley, Robinson, Williams,..Mccollough...Martin, Alexander...and if I spelled them wrong sorry...were they better recruits..vs what we get...now ...I know the basketball landscape has changed...since then...I still remember when YSU almost upset West Virginia at Home...great memory...plus the Rice years were fun...with the Friday nite midnite games!!! As for the Slocum stuff I agree with the 1 year contracts as well!

ysuindy:
Go - I remember Division II YSU beating Pitt at Beeghley in the 70's.  Think about how the basketball landscape has changed.  Pitt playing AT a Division II school on a 3 game contract.  We can't get Pitt to play at Division I YSU now.

At that time the OVC occupied a much higher place in the NCAA basketball hierarchy than they do now.  There were lots of good teams and good players in the OVC back then - Stephen Kite at Tennessee Tech, Bob McCann at Morehead, Boyce and Jakubik at Akron, MTSU and EKU had lots of good player.

Here is what struck me about the guys you named:

Cherry, Robinson, Williams, Alexander were from Akron
Timko from McDonald
Keschock from Mayfield Heights with family in the Valley
Gilmore from Warren
Bevely from Campbell
Tunstall from Altoona
Martin from Farrell
McCullough - wasn't he from Mohawk?

Add Dave Klenovich from Aliquippa to the list. 

Every single guy you named from the area that Tressel used to call the State of Youngstown.  And it wasn't like YSU was getting all the guys.  You just don't get that many Division I players out of that area these days - whether it is less students or other factors.  For my money, those years were the Golden Years of high school basketball in the Mahoning Valley.  YSU got Gilmore and Bevely.  Wesson from Niles went to OSU, Blaney from Badger to WVU, Greg Jones from Rayen to YSU, Joe James from Rayen to Michigan, Adam Powell of Rayen to WVU.  5 guys to the Big 10 and Big East.  We might go 20 years without one guy in the Valley at that level now.

The game has changed so much in 30 years.  Today's guys are bigger, stronger, faster than the guys above that I was nostalgic over.

If only we could get every player to improve the way John Keshock improved from his junior to senior years.  Bench warmer to first team all league.  If Vaughn Luton hadn't called time out, Keshock's shot would still be talked about today.

YSUGO:
I lived on the same floor in the dorm with alot of those guys...i want to think Art McCollough was from..Kentucky or Tennesee..but I could be wrong...

ysuindy:
Go - think you are right on McCullough.  I was thinking of McClenahan (sp) or something like that.  :)

ItalianPenguin:
Go, I think Indy hit it right. For some reason, there just isn't the basketball talent in the area like there used to be. Kids don't seem to be as dedicated these days. The maverick Harding program is a prime example. Kids coming and going all the time and it's hard to recruit them because they just don't like to go to class. And Dom did a good job recruiting those kids--that's one of the reasons the playing court bears his name!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version