Author Topic: Friday's Game vs UWM  (Read 12050 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Friday's Game vs UWM
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »
Let's not forget to "pack the place" for ESPN coverage. It is a "Red Out" ...that is different. So wear your red. The free t-shirts are for the students only. I expect they will have the bookstore and others opened if you are like me and pout on a few extra pounds and may need to buy something :)

We should have the preview this evening. Any early lines on the game? Any predictions?

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Friday's Game vs UWM
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
My prediction

If students ONLY get free T-Shirts, 6 OTTA COVER IT.

HOW ABOUT US LOYALS????????

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:53 AM »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel game preview story

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/panthers-enjoy-life-at-the-top-qv3s74r-137726893.html

So, UW-Milwaukee Panthers, how does it feel to be sitting up there alone on top of the Horizon League men's basketball standings?

"It feels great," said UWM sophomore forward Kyle Kelm after a practice this week. "One of our goals coming into this year was to win the conference championship. To be ahead is good, but we haven't accomplished what we want to yet."

Coach Rob Jeter, whose team faces a rugged pair of road games this weekend at Youngstown State and Cleveland State, takes a more immediate approach to the situation.

"There's a lot of basketball yet to be played," said Jeter. "I'm just worried about trying to handle Youngstown State because they're talented."

The Panthers (13-6, 6-1), who completed a 3-0 sweep of their three-game home stand with a victory over Detroit last Saturday, will play at Youngstown State (9-8, 4-3) Friday night and Cleveland State (15-4, 5-2) Sunday afternoon.

It's been a topsy-turvy Horizon League so far as there has been no dominant team and every team has had at least a game or two it wishes it could get back.

Going into Thursday's games, Cleveland State was tied with Valparaiso (12-7, 5-2) for second place while Youngstown State was tied with Butler (10-9, 4-3).

"I haven't even looked at Cleveland State because we have so much to look at with Youngstown," Jeter said. "That gives us one day to look at Cleveland. My focus has been squarely on Youngstown."

A major concern will be the Penguins' three-point shooting as they lead the Horizon in three-point baskets per game (9.1) and three-point shooting percentage (38.2%). Penguins guard Blake Allen leads the league in threes (53) and is fourth in three-point percentage (43.1%).

But UWM is leading the nation - yes, the nation - in defensive three-point percentage (23.5%), which Jeter said had been a major focus of his team.

Also for Youngstown State, sophomore guard Kendrick Perry is averaging 14.6 points and 4.2 assists, senior guard Ashen Ward is averaging 11.0 points overall and 15.3 points in conference games, and junior forward Damian Eargle is averaging 10.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and has blocked 72 shots.

"It's going to be a serious challenge for us, knowing that they're at home and that most teams shoot better at home," said Jeter. "(Three-point defense) is part of our entire philosophy defensively, but we really have made it an emphasis not to allow teams to beat us from beyond the arc. Try to make them make a tough two points. I think everyone says it and talks about it defensively because no one wants to give anyone three-point shots."

The Panthers are the Horizon's top defensive team. They lead the league in points allowed (58.7 per game) and defensive field-goal percentage (39.2%).

UWM's ball-screen coverage can be disruptive, and Jeter has the option to go with a long defensive front line consisting of the 6-9 Kelm, 6-8 Tony Meier and 6-7 James Haarsma.

"Statistically, they've been one of the best defensive teams in our league," said Wright State coach Billy Donlon. "They're really good and the bottom line is their size. What they do is they play a lot like Wisconsin does when you set a ball-screen. Their guy on the ball-screen and the guy defending the screener, they kind of switch-not-switch, and everybody else stays home. You practice for it, but it's totally different when you haven't seen it all year and then in a game you try and compete against it live.

"And their size . . . when they take (6-2 guard Paris) Gulley out of the game, and they play Meier, Haarsma, Kelm and Kaylon Williams, that's a huge lineup and that's advantageous for them. If you can't dribble drive and if you can't finish plays around the basket, and then if you also can't make threes, you're in trouble."

Said Jeter, "We haven't done that (gone big) a lot, but we do have that ability."

The Panthers seemed to be a quietly confident bunch as they prepared to hit the road for a challenging weekend.

"We have a lot of good leadership in Kaylon Williams, Tony Meir and Ryan Allen," said Kelm. "They get our heads straight whether it's confidence or just making sure that we're on our toes rather than on our heels."

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
Checking the statistical sites for predictions:

Pomeroy predicts a 64-60 Milwaukee win and gives YSU a 35% chance of winning.

Sagarin's overall ratings make Milwaukee a 3 1/2 point favorite, his predictor ratings a 4 point favorite.

As an aside, Pomeroy's projected scores for YSU for the rest of the season have all but one game being within five points, win or lose.  Yes the Horizon League is that balanced.

The game in on ESPN3 tonight - available on-line if you are an ESPN Insider or have specific cable providers.  Play by play man is Greg Rakestraw - he is an Indy area guy - former IUPUI radio play by play game, does a lot of high school tv and radio and local small college tv and radio, football and basketball.  Good guy - I think he will do a good job tonight.  Don't know if I will be home to watch/listen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »
How's the weather looking?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »
My prediction

If students ONLY get free T-Shirts, 6 OTTA COVER IT.

HOW ABOUT US LOYALS????????

Looks like you and Ray Ray will get your TeeShirts   ;) First 500 in the door by the looks of the write up  :D

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:58:15 PM by ysubigred »

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »
We are in a weather advisory.  Sorry enough to keep me
indoors.  Much as I'd love to be there.  Prediction of not
only snow 3 to 6", but possible freezing rain. 

Go Penguins, I'll cheer this one from my Lazy Boy.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
Is this game on espn?  Paper here in Cbus has Cleve state game??

GOOOOOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
Listed as ESPN 3.....On Armstrong (in Austintown) we do not get it,
however, go to YSU SITE, and on there you will see tonights game
Audio....Video....click on video, you should be able to watch on your
computer.  We most always can.  Hopefully, tonight.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
Just went to YSU site, as I told you to do.
Sorry, no video listed for tonights game.
May have risked the snow storm had I
had checked earlier.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »
One last thing to try.  Search ESPN 3.  They list our game tonight.
Follow the instructions for your cable company name.  Perhaps
you will find it.  We are Armstrong, it is not listed.  Oh My gosh,
the agony of listening to basketball.  No offense to the radio guys,
just hate to listen to any BB....just doesn't cut it for me.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/

probably a little late but here is the link

ESPN3 is internet only - not cable broadcast

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
YSU wins 68-66.  Ashen Ward's rebound basket with 32 seconds left was the winning bucket, YSU's first field goal in more than ten minutes.

UWM takes a long three with about 7 seconds left that misses, Panthers get the rebound but Eargle with a huge blocked shot to preserve the win.

Huge, huge win for YSU.  Protect the home court.  Back in the thick of the race at 5-3.  Win 'em at home and play 4-5 on the road.

Enjoy the win tonight, get ready for UWGB on Sunday.