YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU vs BUTLER SUNDAY 2 PM

<< < (3/3)

IAA Fan:
Indianapolis, Ind. -- Senior Ashen Ward scored a game-high 21 points but the Youngstown State men's basketball team committed 17 turnovers and allowed 13 offensive rebounds in a 71-55 loss to Butler on Sunday afternoon at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

The Guins fall to 9-8 overall and 4-3 in the Horizon League while Butler improves to 10-9 overall and 4-3 in the league.

Sophomore Kendrick Perry was the only other YSU player to reach double figures with 10 points.
In the first half alone, the Guins committed 10 turnovers that led to 12 Butler points and gave up six offensive rebounds which gave the Bulldogs 12 more points.

The interior play of Butler's Andrew Smith and Kameron Woods presented problems for the Guins and the pair scored 20 and 10 points, repsectively. Woods also posted a double-double with 10 rebounds.
The Guins led early, 6-2, after 3-pointers by Blake Allen and DuShawn Brooks, but the Bulldogs scored 11 straight points to take a 13-6 lead with 14:26 left in the first half and trailed again.

Ward connected on two 3-pointers and a steal and layup by Perry brought the Guins within three, 17-14, with 11:13 to go.

A 12-5 run by Butler expanded the Bulldogs' lead to 10, 29-19, with 6:22 left and led by as many as 11, 34-23, with 1:55 to go before halftime.
The Guins went into the lockerroom down seven 34-27, after a tip-in by Kendrick Perry and a jumper by Nate Perry.

After a Chase Stigall 3-pointer opened the second half scoring to put Butler up 10-, 37-27, Damian Eargle's two basketbal cut the lead down to six, 37-31, at the 18:43 mark.
Butler then outscored the Guins 15-3 over the next nine minutes to build an 18-point cushion, 52-34, with 9:55 to go.

The Bulldogs went up by as many as 20 points, 56-36, at the 8:18 mark before the Guins used a 16-6 run to slice the deficit down to nine, 62-53 with 2:37 left.

Ward drilled his fifth 3-pointer, was fouled and converted the free throw, then Kendrick Perry stole the in-bound pass and his layup capped the Guins' run.

Butler, though, made seven of their last 10 free throws to seal the game.
YSU returns home to host Milwaukee, Friday, Jan. 20, at 7:05 p.m. at the Beeghly Center. The game will be broadcast on ESPN3.com and 570 WKBN-AM.

ysuindy:
The game recap summarizes it perfectly - the two things my son and I kept talking about and noticing.  The team that hasn't been turning the ball over a lot, did.  And once again we got killed on the offensive boards. 

The Butler radio guys summed it up well after the game in talking about Butler's effort.  They HAD to win today to have any chance of winning the championship - they had three league losses and were staring at a four game road trip (where Butler is 2-5 this year).  Just like happens a lot in the NFL the more desperate team won.  I am not faulting the YSU effort, but Butler's effort was clearly greater - it was very noticeable.

Pita - it is way too early to get concerned about other games in the league and who wins.  Just about every team in this league has flaws - and different teams are better prepared to expose other teams.  Valpo winning should not be a surprise.  Since Valpo joined the Horizon League no team has ever come to Indiana and swept Butler and Valpo on the same road trip.   Valpo is now 8-2 at home, both losses by two points.

YSU has a tough stretch of games coming up, home to Milwaukee, Green Bay and Cleveland State and on the road at Milwaukee.  3 games against the top 2 teams in the league.  Winning two of three at home would be big.  The road to 11 wins and a home game in the post season is 7-2 or better at home, 4-5 on the road.  Win your first tournament game at home, go on the road to play the second game at a neutral site.  Yeah I want more, but if you could guarantee me that scenario, I would absolutely take it.

FWIW - Ken Pomeroy, who runs one of the more advanced statistical sites, coming in to today projected CSU to win the league at 14-4, Milwaukee second at 13-5 and YSU, Valpo and Butler to finish 10-8, Detroit 9-9, Green Bay and Wright State at 9-10, UIC 5-13 and Loyola 3-15.  Point is this league is as muddled as can be - one 0-2 road trip doesn't end the season.  I would be much more concerned about a 0-2 weekend at home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version