YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Firday 8 p.m. - Men's Basketball at Valparaiso

(1/4) > >>

ysuindy:
The men travel to Valpo for a Friday night game.

Wondering when the team is leaving.  The Lake Michigan Lake Effect Snow Machine is expected to crank up Thursday and early Friday.  South Bend in line for up to 11 inches of snow, lesser amounts west to Valpo.  Assuming the team is bussing to Valpo means a stretch of bad weather on the Indiana Toll Road.

Valpo is 10-7, 3-2 in the League.  The Crusaders are 6-2 at home, losing two points contests to Oakland and UW-Milwaukee.

Sagarin's overall ratings make Valpo a 5 point favorite, the predictor rankings have the Crusaders favored by 4 1/2.  Sagarin's home court advantage is nearly 4 points.

Pomeroy gives YSU a 36% chance of winning, predicting a 76-71 Valpo win.

YSU's statistical strength continues to be low turnovers.  Penguins are 6th in the nation, turning the ball over on only 16% of possessions.  Valpo ranks 283rd, turning the ball over on 23% of possessions.   In a 70 possession game, Valpo would turn the ball over an additional 4 times - can the Penguins capitalize?  Valpo excels in limiting opponent offensive rebounds, a YSU weakness.  Sounds like the same scouting reports as last week.

ysuindy:
To answer my question - the team left this morning (Thursday).  Looks like they should beat most of the weather in to Valpo.  Newest forecast for Valpo is up to 8 inches.  Hopefully they have a good bus driver!

ysuscuba:
I'm excited about this series.  I know we don't have a deep bench but at least 4-1 is something we all can get excited about midseason.

Wick250:
This game tonight might be the most important that we have played since we lost in the finals of the Mid-Continent tournament in 1998.  If we can steal it, we might be able to stay in contention all season for a top four league finish.  Lose it, along with the inevitable loss to a more talented and much deeper Butler on Sunday, and we are back to the pack, struggling to keep afloat.  Valpo has two big guys that can score.  I just don't see how Eargle can stay on the court for enough minutes.  But I sure hope that I am wrong.

YSUGO:
Well unless we make a spirited comeback...we are down by 13 with 4:30 to go...so whats everybody thoughts...now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version