YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Men's Basketball vs. Loyola Thursday 7 p.m.

<< < (2/3) > >>

ysuscuba:
Ugly, but I'll take it.  It's nice to be on the winning side.  The Bobby Morris loss still hurts!  Go 4-1, Please!

YSUGO:
winning at home is a good thing!

Wick250:
We take them any way that we can get them.  But this game really was a preview of the trouble that we shall face as the league season progresses.  Loyola had two good inside players.  Brooks really struggled on defense tonight, but he is actually a small forward forced by circumstances to play the 4 spot.  The more the big guys on our bench see action, the worse they look.  If we just had two DI players to bring off our bench, this would be a good team.  I know that you out-of-towners are getting sick of complaints about our depth, but it looks worse in person than it does on tv.  Again, 3-1 in the league for the first time.  Let's enjoy it.

ysuindy:
Trib game story

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/id/566236/YSU-s-milestone-victory.html?nav=5024

YOUNGSTOWN - The Youngstown State University Penguins defeated Loyola University Chicago Thursday night at the Beeghly Center, 68-64, in overtime.

"We went into the timeout saying they gave us five extra minutes to prove that we were supposed to win this game in the first place, and we came out and executed on defense," senior Ashen Ward said. "I feel like when you play hard and you do it every day, then it's going to show in the game."

The Penguins (8-6, 3-1) shot 46.4 percent from the field, 31.6 from 3-point territory and only 43.5 at the free throw line. The Ramblers (5-10, 0-5) shot 44.6 percent overall, 35.3 beyond the 3-point line and 66.7 at the foul line.

The Penguins, however, committed only three turnovers and scored 14 points off the Ramblers' nine turnovers. YSU coach Jerry Slocum said taking care of the basketball is the team's strength.

"Our goal tonight was to keep them to under 10 offensive rebounds," Slocum said. "We got a really tough game on Saturday, but I'm happy for our kids. They played hard tonight. It wasn't an effort issue."

The Ramblers collected 11 offensive rebounds and out-rebounded the Penguins 35-31. The Ramblers also compiled eight more assists (20-12).

Slocum said wasn't the prettiest game, but his kids battled hard throughout.

"I told our kids going into the overtime 'listen. This is Horizon League basketball. It's physical, it's not pretty, it's clutchy,'" Slocum said. "I thought our kids did a great job. I thought they overcame missed shots."

Slocum added that the Penguins overcame a few of the 13 missed free throws.

"When you have good years, you overcome these types of situations," Slocum said. "It wasn't for a lack of effort. We just didn't shoot the ball well and didn't make our foul shots."

Ward said Slocum will have the Penguins shooting a lot in practice on Friday.

"It's really just about routine," Ward said. "I mean we missed a few (free throws), but we made a few down the stretch to give us the win. We just got to keep our confidence, keep our routine and hopefully Saturday we'll shoot better."

Ward led the Penguins with a season-high 21 points, and he added four rebounds and four assists to his game. He said he's used to these games.

"A lot of them on the opposite end, but this team is working," Ward said. "We're working really hard, we're battling despite everything and just playing hard."

Junior Damian Eargle, recently named Horizon League Player of the Week, finished with 14 points, nine rebounds and five blocks. Sophomore Kendrick Perry added 13 points and junior Blake Allen collected 11.

The Penguins got all but two points from their starters. The bench played 25 total minutes, 22 in the first half. Freshman Josh Chojnacki was the lone bench player with a field goal.

"They've been playing very well lately," Slocum said. "It was just kind of the flow of the game tonight. I think we did a good job of them getting in the first half, and then in the second half, I didn't squeeze the trigger. I didn't get those guys in, and I should have."

The Penguins had their hands full against senior Walt Gibler and junior Ben Averkamp.

Gibler finished with 26 points and 11 rebounds while Averkamp pitched in 23 points before fouling out midway in overtime. The rest of the team scored 15 points.

Slocum said Averkamp and Gibler got the best of the Penguins.

"It's disappointing to some regard to know who their best two players are and for them to dominate," Slocum said. "One dominated the first half; the other dominated the second half. But, on the other side of that, our last three minutes, I thought we got some great stops."

Ward said the two players were almost unstoppable but added that things got easier when Averkamp fouled out.

"When Averkamp and Gibler were in the game, it's tough to stop two bigs that they can give it to at any time, but when you know there's only one down there, you can give a lot of extra help," Ward said. "That's really what we did. We just tried to stop Gibler."

The Ramblers had a shot to win in regulation, but Averkamp and Gibler missed two jumpers after Perry hit a game-tying free throw. He missed the first free throw in that stretch.

The Penguins won their 1,000th game since the men's basketball program began in 1927. Ward said it was a big deal.

"I hope that I'll be mentioned somewhere down the line for that 1,000th win," he said.

Slocum said one couldn't mention 1,000 wins without naming former head coach Dom Rosselli.

"On the night that you get your 1,000th, you cannot not remember him and what he did for basketball and what he did at YSU," Slocum said. "Obviously it's a historic night, but let's bring up coach Rosselli's name that night."

Slocum added that he is proud of YSU and what they mean to the valley.

Rosselli coached YSU from 1946-82, compiling 566 victories. Slocum has won 66 games at YSU since he began in 2005. The Penguins' overall record stands at 1,000-1,024.

The Penguins' next game is Saturday against the University of Illinois at Chicago (5-10, 1-4) at the Beeghly Center.

Ward said the team's confidence is high heading into the game.

"We believe that we were supposed to win these games," Ward said. "We're just looking forward to the next game against UIC on Saturday and hoping for the same result. They play hard, so it should be another grind-out game where hopefully our toughness is better than theirs."

ysuindy:
Vindy game story

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/jan/06/grand-victory/

After spending most of the night staring at his shoes whenever one of his players attempted a free throw, Youngstown State coach Jerry Slocum made sure to deliver a message to senior DuShawn Brooks in the closing seconds of Thursday’s game.

“Hey!” he shouted. “Make one of them!”

Brooks took the advice literally, missing the first before swishing the second with 12 seconds left to clinch a milestone 68-64 overtime victory over Loyola at Beeghly Center.

It was the 1,000th win in YSU history. It gave the Penguins (8-6, 3-1) their best start in Horizon League play since ... well, ever. And maybe most important, it proved they could win the type of close game they’ve lost so many times in the previous two seasons.

“This is my fourth year in the Horizon League and I’ve been through plenty of games like this,” said senior Ashen Ward, who scored a season-best 21 points. “A lot of them on the opposite end.

“We went into the [overtime] saying that they gave us five extra minutes to prove we were supposed to win this game in the first place.”

In a game that featured 15 lead changes, the Penguins’ defense stiffened in key moments, forcing two missed shots in the closing seconds of overtime (by each of Loyola’s two best players, no less) before holding the Ramblers to just two points over the final 2:55 of overtime.

“I thought that we battled,” said Slocum, whose team made just 10 of 23 at the line. “Obviously it wasn’t a pretty game but I told the kids going into overtime, ‘Hey, listen, Horizon League basketball is physical. It’s not pretty.’”

Damian Eargle added 14 points, nine rebounds and five blocks for the Penguins, who were coming off an emotional win over league-favorite Cleveland State on Saturday. Kendrick Perry added 13 and Blake Allen 11 as YSU got 66 of its 68 points from its five starters.

The game’s key play may have come midway through the overtime session when Loyola’s best player, junior Ben Avercamp, was hit with an offensive off-the-ball foul, his fifth.

With Avercamp out, YSU was able to send help on senior forward Walt Gibler, who was blocked twice by Eargle and was picked on a baseline steal by Ward, all in the closing minutes.

“It’s tough to stop two bigs,” Ward said. “To know that there’s only one down there, you can give a lot of extra help and that’s really what we did.”

Avercamp scored 23 points but the last two came on a jumper with 8:17 left. Gibler had 26 points and 11 rebounds for the Ramblers (5-10, 0-5), who dropped to 0-7 when giving up 60 points or more.

“Defensively, we did a really good job over the last five or six possessions,” Slocum said. “I’m disappointed in some regard to know who their two best players are and for them to dominate. One dominated the first half, the other dominated the second half.

“But the other side of that is, our last three minutes I thought we got some great stops.”

YSU improved to 1,000-1,024 all-time, with the first win coming on Jan. 14, 1928 — a 36-16 victory at Clarion.

“I was alive when that first game came up,” joked Slocum. “I’m proud of YSU. I’m proud of what Youngstown is to the Valley.”

Slocum is 66-127 in his seven years at YSU, so he went out of his way to praise Dom Rosselli, who won 589 games from 1940-1982.

“On a night when you get your 1,000th, you cannot not remember him and what he did for basketball and what he did at YSU,” Slocum said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version