YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Men's Basketball vs. Loyola Thursday 7 p.m.

<< < (3/3)

YsuPride:
We should have lost but luck was on our side.  Bench will haunt us the rest of the year.  Our fan support is pathetic for a team battling for 1st place.  We are averaging 1,400 fans a game which may be the worst it has ever been since moving to Div 1 30 years ago. 

Wick250:
I have blasted the marketing department for years, but I will now back off.  I no longer blame them for the lack of crowds.  Last evening while driving home over the South Avenue bridge I noticed that there were as many cars in the Covelli Center lot as there were parked for our basketball game in our tailgate lot.  What was the Covelli attraction?  Hockey.  Junior hockey played by teenagers!  So our college basketball program is about as popular in this community as high school-aged hockey!  So how can you get people to support a product that they do not like or care about?  You can't.

IAA Fan:

I am hoping we avoided an upset after being a bit too confident following the CSU win. I hope the team now knows that CSU is really not the favorite anymore, and we have to play at 100% all the time. Boy, Slocum "pegged" Loyola earlier in the week. Real aggressive post play. I was most disappointed that we gave them a shot, and an offensive rebound, and another shot at the close of regulation  ...that is not lack of depth. I am very happy with what coach S has done with the team.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on January 06, 2012, 12:01:48 PM ---I have blasted the marketing department for years, but I will now back off.  I no longer blame them for the lack of crowds.  Last evening while driving home over the South Avenue bridge I noticed that there were as many cars in the Covelli Center lot as there were parked for our basketball game in our tailgate lot.  What was the Covelli attraction?  Hockey.  Junior hockey played by teenagers!  So our college basketball program is about as popular in this community as high school-aged hockey!  So how can you get people to support a product that they do not like or care about?  You can't.

--- End quote ---

I do not think that basketball is any different then football, this area has some hardcore fans that will be there no matter what. Not enough to fill either venue. Lots and lots of "fans" will come and fill the seats but only when they are pretty sure we will win. Bottom line - win and they will come.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version