Author Topic: Champion’s Lydic chooses Youngstown State  (Read 2304 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Champion’s Lydic chooses Youngstown State
« on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »
TIM CLEVELAND , Tribune Chronicle

After wrapping up one of the most successful golf careers in Champion High School history, Thomas Lydic will attempt more of the same at the collegiate level as he has given a verbal commitment to golf at Youngstown State University.

"I really like coach (Tony) Joy," Lydic said of why he chose the Penguins. "I feel I can learn a lot from him the next four years. It's close to home. I like that hometown feeling. I felt like it was home."

Lydic was also recruited by Allegheny College and a few other Division III schools. He plans to major in business.

Lydic made the Division II state golf tournament twice. In 2009, as a sophomore, he shot rounds of 80 and 82 to finish 18th. As a senior, he shot 83-90 and tied for 20th. Both championships were at North Star Golf Resort in Sunbury.

Thomas mentioned the two state appearances as well as a couple other things as his favorite athletic memories of Champion.

"My sophomore year we went undefeated and this year we were Girard's only loss," he said.

Thomas' father Craig pointed out Thomas holds the school's stroke average.

"It's always fun to beat Lakeview," Craig Lydic said. "He made it to state this year and his sophomore year. He had a 34.7 average for the year, which was the record for Champion. That's pretty impressive."

Thomas' father Craig said the school's recent improvements played a role in YSU landing Thomas' talents.

"Tony Joy has been following him for years from afar," Craig Lydic said. "He just likes Tony a lot and he likes YSU. He likes the history there. The new sports complex is phenomenal. He'll be able to practice 12 months now. Being able to work on his game all winter is huge."

Both father and son were asked how they feel Thomas will do at Youngstown State.

"We're excited. We're happy for the opportunity," Craig said. "We're looking forward to August. We plan on following him as much as we can. They play a lot of good teams."

"I'd like to do really well," Thomas said. "All winter and summer I'll work really hard. To start as a freshman is the goal."