YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Lose 59-56 at the Buzzer to Robert Morris

<< < (2/4) > >>

ysuindy:
The seemingly regular losses to Robert Morris bother me - a lot.  This is a program that appears to have a lot less to offer recruits than YSU.  They play in a high school sized gym (heck in Indiana 131 high schools have gyms bigger than Robert Morris), they play in  a bottom 10 conference that never has a chance at an at large bid and almost always gets a 14, 15 or 16 seed, they are, at best, #3 in their city (#4 if you count PSU).

Yet this is six straight wins over YSU with five of the wins by 5 points or less.

Credit to Robert Morris and to their coaches.  Makes you wonder what they could do with a better arena to show recruits and the ability to play in a Top 12 conference most years.

Very frustrating - this series and see yet another fast start slipping away.

southbeach:
  The next time we are in the market for a new head b- ball coach ( next year ) we should let the ad at
Robert Morris make the selection for us. That is the difference between our program and theirs. They consistently have better coaches who can recruit.

ELPENGUIN:
You are correct South beach. I say, most coaches can do the x and o's and the better ones are able to adjust the x and o's during a game or especially at the end of the game.   "If " - and I mean if  there is a problem with not winning?  Then what/where is the problem?  Are the players we have not basketball ready with a reasonable basketball IQ?  What else could it be?  Is it recruiting?

The name of the game must be "can you recruit" and can you not find the player with the athletic ability (basketball IQ) in junior college or high school to play under your system. 

Recruiting strategy should be to identify, solicit, stay with it the effort till  that that player turns you down.  Then if you don't succeed then go get the next one on your wish list.

Success in coaching is based on success in recruiting.  That being said, if there is no budget or worse yet, no desire to complete (recruit) on the level of my/our expectations (division one)  then GET OUT OF IT.  Don't raise expectations of masquerading YSU as a division one program worthy of the HORIZON LEAGUE.

As coach Slocum has said many times unfortunately  "It is what it is"!

Wick250:
Even though our starters messed up that last possession, I would wager that they were +15 against Robert Morris.  Take one or heaven help us, two, starters out of the lineup and our team becomes a joke.

I ask this in a serious way.  Should a coach be able to recruit at least 9 Division I players with 15 scholarships?  That is 60%.  You know, a minimal "D" performance on any academic scale.  How can any coach in the best mid-major league recruit only 5 DI players (I'm giving Ward a pass?)  Embarrassing and unbelievable. 

YSUGO:
I have said all along we are way over our heads in the Horizon...we didn't get any bump in recruiting from the Butler success.  Even if we increased the budget it will take years for another coach to turn us around.  We are drawing flies and you can't give the tickets away.  My girlfriends company offers them and nobody wants them.  My whole point was we need to take the dollars slotted and find a level of competition that will match up to.  This is total insanity how we keep taking these beatings year in and year out.  Slocum is what we good get on the dollars slotted and 10-12 wins is what that is worth.   Yes we beat Butler last year,,,but lets be truthful here.  We played over our heads and Butler played like crap.  That was no way a program changing win.  Well I don't know the answer ..I guess we have to accept it just like the AD had that ..he knows we can't compete.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version