YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Lose 59-56 at the Buzzer to Robert Morris

<< < (3/4) > >>

Penguin Nation:
How much is the men's basketball program costing the Athletic Department? How much are the scholarships, the travel, the promotions, the security, etc?  Maybe the question needs to be asked, "Why do we have a men's basketball program?"  When no efforts are made to succeed, and for years it's an embarrassment, than not only does it make the University look bad, but it is a waste of valuable funds.  Maybe the lady Penguins BB, which does show some improvement, could compete with Wisc-Green Bay with the additional funding.  Either play to compete, or even win, or fold the program.

Big D:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on December 23, 2011, 12:16:27 PM ---I ask this in a serious way.  Should a coach be able to recruit at least 9 Division I players with 15 scholarships? 
--- End quote ---

D1 mens basketball teams are only allowed to give out 13 scholarships.

Big D:

--- Quote from: ysuindy on December 23, 2011, 09:02:36 AM ---The seemingly regular losses to Robert Morris bother me - a lot.  This is a program that appears to have a lot less to offer recruits than YSU.  They play in a high school sized gym (heck in Indiana 131 high schools have gyms bigger than Robert Morris), they play in  a bottom 10 conference that never has a chance at an at large bid and almost always gets a 14, 15 or 16 seed, they are, at best, #3 in their city (#4 if you count PSU).
--- End quote ---

Robert Morris is located in a much better city than YSU.  They play is a small arena that only seats around 3000, but they fill about 1/2 of it for every game.  YSU plays in an over 1/2 empty arena every game.  RM regularly wins 20+ games, wins their conference, and goes to the post season.  YSU hasn't come close to 20 wins in the life time of any HS recruit.  YSU has never been competitive in the HL and has never been in the post season.   RM is also a school clearly dedicated to their basketball program.  YSU is fully behind it's football program.  I don't think a coach would have any trouble selling RM over YSU any day of the week in a recruiting battle. 

ItalianPenguin:
Pay attention to what Big D says folks. In the end, you get out of something what you put in. We doubled our football coaches salaries and attracted "some" quality coaches. We spend little money on our basketball program. You see the returns.

ysuindy:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on December 23, 2011, 04:42:58 PM ---How much is the men's basketball program costing the Athletic Department? How much are the scholarships, the travel, the promotions, the security, etc?  Maybe the question needs to be asked, "Why do we have a men's basketball program?"  When no efforts are made to succeed, and for years it's an embarrassment, than not only does it make the University look bad, but it is a waste of valuable funds.  Maybe the lady Penguins BB, which does show some improvement, could compete with Wisc-Green Bay with the additional funding.  Either play to compete, or even win, or fold the program.

--- End quote ---

Find me ONE program that plays BCS or FCS football and doesn't have a men's basketball team.  Hell find me one school that plays football at any level that doesn't have a men's basketball team.

You fold men's basketball, you are out the of the Horizon League and there is not a single league that will touch you.  Your teams will be independent and they will effectively die.  Fold Men's basketball, you are folding YSU athletics. 

Something needs to be done - folding the program isn't it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version