YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU vs Detriot

(1/5) > >>

ysuscuba:
Ok, it sounds like the state of detriot men's basketball is out of control.  Are the really down to 8 total players?  Well I really hope this team doesn't have a major let down.  We will be on the road this Thursday and Friday.  Is it possible we take the next two?  I had the opportunity to watch the wright state vs gators game and wright state held their own.  In fact, their inside play looked pretty good for a young squad. 

Anyways, I'm jumping head.  We need to focus on the titans.  Hope we can continue adding W's this season.

IAA Fan:
wow, any links we can look at for UDM Scuba? I know they are dedicating a new court to Dick Vital ...I think that is next week and not against us. I know they blew a lead at Akron.

OleYSUfan:
Fan: Detroit to dedicate the new court against St. Johns on Monday Dec 5th.

Apparently UDM is having personel problems with some serious injuries and discpline problems. They have started off poorly losing to Akron, Bowling Green, Notre Dame and G. Washington. They still have some good players with Ray McCallum and etal. I believe they are currently somewhat disfunctional and YSU can take advantage and eek out a win. We will have to click on all cyclinders and that includes Brooks.

Good Penguins!! 

ysuindy:
Sagarin's overall ratings have YSU ahead of UDM, however his Predictor rankings make UDM a 5 1/2 point favorite including the 3.33 point home court advantage.

Pomeroy (kenpom.com) predicts a 80-70 UDM win, giving YSU just a 19% chance of winning.

From the HorizonLeagueHoops blog

5. (2) Detroit (3-4)
Efficiency margin: +4.6 (-4.6)

The wheels are coming off for the Titans, who went 1-3 on the week and saw their efficiency numbers plummet more than any other Horizon League team.

Up-tempo teams like Detroit are like an over-engineered BWM. They perform at extraordinary levels when every piece is doing its part, but when any component fails, it takes a lot of work to get the system up and running again.

Detroit, who worked (and failed) to overcome the loss of rebounds-leader senior Eli Holman, who is gone on indefinite leave, lost John Hoskins who left the team earlier in the month for undisclosed reasons, and now the Titans are forced to grapple with a season-ending ACL injury to senior forward Nick Minnerath. That leaves just eight eligible players for Ray McCallum Sr. and three — 6-7 Doug Anderson, 6-7 Evan Bruinsma and 6-11 LaMarcus Lowe — in the frontcourt.

There’s simply no way to run an up-tempo scheme with eight players, although Detroit will get Chris Blake and Brandon Romain back in January (both were out with academic problems).

Next: Youngstown State, Thursday, 6 p.m. (Live on HLN)

http://horizonleaguehoops.com/2011/11/28/power-rankings-week-3/#more-209

ysuindy:
From the official Horizon League Press Release

At Calihan Hall, Detroit (3-4) hopes to find comfort at home after a difficult five-game road trip was made tougher by the loss of Nick Minnerath last week. Already playing with a short bench, the Titans will enter Horizon League play with just eight active players on its roster.

In Minnerath's absence, Evan Bruinsma has worked to fill the gap, scoring a career-high 17 points in Detroit's lone win last week, a 94-93 overtime win against Austin Peay. Chase Simon went for 27 on Saturday, but foul trouble forced the Titans' hand in an 81-63 loss at Akron. Still, with Simon, Ray McCallum and LaMarcus Lowe, the Titans can pose problems for nearly any team in the League.

The matchup between Lowe and Youngstown State's (4-1) Damian Eargle will be particularly interesting to watch. While Lowe enters the night ranked 16th in the nation in blocks with 3.1 per game, Eargle is second in the country at 4.6. Threee this year, Eargle has swatted six or more shots, coming within two blocks of a triple-double on Nov. 18. Eargle is supplementing his defensive prowess with 11.2 ppg and 7.4 rebounds per game as well.

Detroit will have to get its hands up on the Penguins' perimeter, as YSU leads the Horizon League with a 40.9 percent shooting clip from three-point range. Leading the charge are Blake Allen and Kendrick Perry, who are knocking down 29-of-61 attempts combined. Between Perry and McCallum, Thursday's game also features two of the League's top young point guards.

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/nine-conference-games-to-set-early-season-tone.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version