YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The sorrowful Wait Til Next Year thread!

<< < (5/6) > >>

ysuindy:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on November 20, 2011, 06:56:29 PM ---Actually I like this schedule.  Separating UNI and NDSU is good as that gives us one attractive home game each year and only one very difficult road contest.  Frankly, since we have now blown 17 point leads to pathetic Missouri State in consecutive seasons, I will be glad to avoid them for two years.

--- End quote ---

+1

YSUGO:
I wanted to wait 24 hrs to respond plus i watched the replay.

Positives for 2012:

1. Hess  we have 2 more years ..i thought he really improved on his deep ball this year, needs to work on feeling the rush and maybe know when to tuck it run...and learn not to lock on to first read..seems better when we are up tempo..
2. Cook and the rb's, we are loaded...was disappointed in the use Bellamy..thompson..had some good moments..and where was Pace?  Hymes supposed to be a star..
3. Wr's and TE's..we are loaded..Bryan was a great find...TE's we are okay...used mostly for blocking..
4. The offensive line...I think we get everybody back..not like the lines of the  90's but lots of potential.
5. lb's are another strength..the only thing that concerns me is their size (weight} are we a little light ..does the speed negate that?
Negatives
1.  Our special teams play was bad..buts lets be honest since tress left ..Heacocks special teams struggled as well.  We need to get this addressed..it killed us all year
2. Def coaching...I think Wolf needs to sit down and look at the scheme that we were using and make a decison..if that will get us to the next level. 
3.  Coaching in general...one thing that you could say about tress..the highs and the lows he controlled his emotion...Wolf needs to do the same... he is a work in progress..but does his ability to recruit going to get W's and back to the playoffs..

Attendance..I was stunned when i watched the replay..i bet there was less than 5k in the seats..what gives..

We must remember..Wolf dismantled most of the team and started over..and the good was the win last week and the bad was this week..a football game is decided by a few plays..Cook makes the catch we are probably going to win..he didnt..we lost..College football has changed and the speration between good to bad is very small...and if you have noticed the past 2 years,,no lead is safe..and anybody can lose...Baylor, Iowa St..showed that this past saturday..The spread has changed how football is played ..don't know if its good but it evens the playing field..IMO

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on November 20, 2011, 01:55:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: YSU RON on November 20, 2011, 09:19:33 AM ---This loss was on the special teams. It's been only 2 years so give the staff and team some time. Don't expect miracles in two years. A bunch of you think you are top ranked coaches with your opinions. The wins and playoffs will come.

--- End quote ---

While I appreciate the rationality, I cannot agree. In two years our defense has done nothing outside of two games when we went to a basic box set. If I was seeing progress I would not be so upset, but yesterday just proved that we are relying on offense to win games, with a completely inept defense. Yesterday, we had a defender with about 1.5 yards of the SMS QB (and a slow QB at that), Their QB actually cocked his arm (never any intention to throw) and our defender broke away. I have a photo of it because I thought it was going to be a great sack photo. I mean their QB should have been knocked into the stands. There is no official that would expect a defender to stop that close.

Our special teams are completely non-coached. Have you seen a lane on any kick-off this season? We cannot tackle, so we work kick coverage in pairs, and every team breaks to the outside for a good 15-25 extra yards. Factor our lack of height and depth (speaking about kick-offs only here, punts are excellent), and we hand an already bad defense an impossible short-field situation. I would not even think Wolf was from Youngstown. Now we will all hear about these great recruits, and how this third class of frosh are "the best class yet". Then we have to start them, (because the best kids play) then we lose all of the current frosh, and once again find ourselves making allowances for lack of performance because of our youth. You cannot coach experience ...experience coaches you.

--- End quote ---

The tale of the tape for those of you who still think the defense is so bad.

Note below:  Penelties and special teams kill YSU!!  If the defense was so bad this game should have been a lot worse  >:(

Drive summary:

Youngstown St. 1 15:00 6:29 YSU20 11 80 TD
Missouri St. 1 08:27 0:37 YSU47 3 1 PUNT
Youngstown St. 1 07:50 3:27 YSU10 6 17 PUNT
Missouri St. 1 04:23 2:40 MSU39 8 61 TD
Youngstown St. 1 01:43 1:09 YSU20 3 80 TD
Missouri St. 1 00:23 1:13 YSU10 4 -2 FG
 Youngstown St. 2 14:09 2:19 YSU34 3 -10 PUNT
Missouri St. 2 11:50 2:15 MSU38 7 57 FUMB
Youngstown St. 2 09:35 2:23 YSU27 6 16 PUNT
Missouri St. 2 07:12 0:58 MSU20 3 8 PUNT
Youngstown St. 2 06:14 3:11 YSU46 6 54 TD
Missouri St. 2 03:03 2:23 MSU20 6 11 INT
Youngstown St. 2 00:40 0:28 MSU27 3 27 TD
Missouri St. 2 00:04 0:04 MSU33 1 0 HALF
Missouri St. 3 14:54 1:32 MSU46 4 54 TD
Youngstown St. 3 13:22 2:38 YSU20 5 27 PUNT
Missouri St. 3 10:44 4:57 MSU43 11 57 TD
Youngstown St. 3 05:47 2:02 YSU20 5 25 PUNT
Missouri St. 3 03:45 2:48 MSU18 6 23 PUNT
Youngstown St. 3 00:57 6:29 YSU27 14 73 TD
Missouri St. 4 09:19 2:51 MSU40 9 60 TD
Youngstown St. 4 06:28 4:24 YSU31 8 27 PUNT
Missouri St. 4 02:04 1:54 MSU36 9 64 TD   :-X
Youngstown St. 4 00:09 0:09 YSU27 2 18 HALF

goodnews:
MSU was 4/4 on fourth downs which is unheard of.  I live on the west coast and watched the play-by-play on the computer and if i recall they converted a 4th and 17?  Im not sure how anyone can defend the defense with those stats..... Bottom line the TEAM choked under pressure and that includes coaches!  If nothing else they know how it feels now... Move on and hope for the best. 

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: goodnews on November 21, 2011, 01:01:52 PM ---MSU was 4/4 on fourth downs which is unheard of.  I live on the west coast and watched the play-by-play on the computer and if i recall they converted a 4th and 17?  Im not sure how anyone can defend the defense with those stats..... Bottom line the TEAM choked under pressure and that includes coaches!  If nothing else they know how it feels now... Move on and hope for the best.

--- End quote ---

Wasn't saying the D wasn't bad just saying they weren't the only problem as some on here think.  We really played bad against a team that give's up 37 points a game.   This is my last word on this years team now on to 2012 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version