Author Topic: The sorrowful Wait Til Next Year thread!  (Read 17748 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The sorrowful Wait Til Next Year thread!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:24 PM »
If next year is only 11 games then I here we have Pitt, Valpo, and Albany as our non-conf foes plus we will have 9 conf games.   Do yens have any confomation of this?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »
This loss was on the special teams. It's been only 2 years so give the staff and team some time. Don't expect miracles in two years. A bunch of you think you are top ranked coaches with your opinions. The wins and playoffs will come.

While I appreciate the rationality, I cannot agree. In two years our defense has done nothing outside of two games when we went to a basic box set. If I was seeing progress I would not be so upset, but yesterday just proved that we are relying on offense to win games, with a completely inept defense. Yesterday, we had a defender with about 1.5 yards of the SMS QB (and a slow QB at that), Their QB actually cocked his arm (never any intention to throw) and our defender broke away. I have a photo of it because I thought it was going to be a great sack photo. I mean their QB should have been knocked into the stands. There is no official that would expect a defender to stop that close.

Our special teams are completely non-coached. Have you seen a lane on any kick-off this season? We cannot tackle, so we work kick coverage in pairs, and every team breaks to the outside for a good 15-25 extra yards. Factor our lack of height and depth (speaking about kick-offs only here, punts are excellent), and we hand an already bad defense an impossible short-field situation. I would not even think Wolf was from Youngstown. Now we will all hear about these great recruits, and how this third class of frosh are "the best class yet". Then we have to start them, (because the best kids play) then we lose all of the current frosh, and once again find ourselves making allowances for lack of performance because of our youth. You cannot coach experience ...experience coaches you.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »
If next year is only 11 games then I here we have Pitt, Valpo, and Albany as our non-conf foes plus we will have 9 conf games.   Do yens have any confomation of this?

Do we know for sure that the MVFC is going to go full round robin and play 9 league games?

Will need to watch Albany in the playoffs - wonder how much they lose.  A game against a non-conference playoff caliber team can't hurt the resume.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
There will remain 8 conference games. We play UNI, Southern Illinois, South Dakota, and Indiana State at home. On the road are North Dakota State, Illinois State, South Dakota State, and Western Illinois. As stated, the OOC games are at Pitt, and Albany and Valpo at home.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »
Actually I like this schedule.  Separating UNI and NDSU is good as that gives us one attractive home game each year and only one very difficult road contest.  Frankly, since we have now blown 17 point leads to pathetic Missouri State in consecutive seasons, I will be glad to avoid them for two years. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:05:13 PM by Wick250 »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
Actually I like this schedule.  Separating UNI and NDSU is good as that gives us one attractive home game each year and only one very difficult road contest.  Frankly, since we have now blown 17 point leads to pathetic Missouri State in consecutive seasons, I will be glad to avoid them for two years.

+1

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
I wanted to wait 24 hrs to respond plus i watched the replay.

Positives for 2012:

1. Hess  we have 2 more years ..i thought he really improved on his deep ball this year, needs to work on feeling the rush and maybe know when to tuck it run...and learn not to lock on to first read..seems better when we are up tempo..
2. Cook and the rb's, we are loaded...was disappointed in the use Bellamy..thompson..had some good moments..and where was Pace?  Hymes supposed to be a star..
3. Wr's and TE's..we are loaded..Bryan was a great find...TE's we are okay...used mostly for blocking..
4. The offensive line...I think we get everybody back..not like the lines of the  90's but lots of potential.
5. lb's are another strength..the only thing that concerns me is their size (weight} are we a little light ..does the speed negate that?
Negatives
1.  Our special teams play was bad..buts lets be honest since tress left ..Heacocks special teams struggled as well.  We need to get this addressed..it killed us all year
2. Def coaching...I think Wolf needs to sit down and look at the scheme that we were using and make a decison..if that will get us to the next level. 
3.  Coaching in general...one thing that you could say about tress..the highs and the lows he controlled his emotion...Wolf needs to do the same... he is a work in progress..but does his ability to recruit going to get W's and back to the playoffs..

Attendance..I was stunned when i watched the replay..i bet there was less than 5k in the seats..what gives..

We must remember..Wolf dismantled most of the team and started over..and the good was the win last week and the bad was this week..a football game is decided by a few plays..Cook makes the catch we are probably going to win..he didnt..we lost..College football has changed and the speration between good to bad is very small...and if you have noticed the past 2 years,,no lead is safe..and anybody can lose...Baylor, Iowa St..showed that this past saturday..The spread has changed how football is played ..don't know if its good but it evens the playing field..IMO
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 10:17:56 AM »
This loss was on the special teams. It's been only 2 years so give the staff and team some time. Don't expect miracles in two years. A bunch of you think you are top ranked coaches with your opinions. The wins and playoffs will come.

While I appreciate the rationality, I cannot agree. In two years our defense has done nothing outside of two games when we went to a basic box set. If I was seeing progress I would not be so upset, but yesterday just proved that we are relying on offense to win games, with a completely inept defense. Yesterday, we had a defender with about 1.5 yards of the SMS QB (and a slow QB at that), Their QB actually cocked his arm (never any intention to throw) and our defender broke away. I have a photo of it because I thought it was going to be a great sack photo. I mean their QB should have been knocked into the stands. There is no official that would expect a defender to stop that close.

Our special teams are completely non-coached. Have you seen a lane on any kick-off this season? We cannot tackle, so we work kick coverage in pairs, and every team breaks to the outside for a good 15-25 extra yards. Factor our lack of height and depth (speaking about kick-offs only here, punts are excellent), and we hand an already bad defense an impossible short-field situation. I would not even think Wolf was from Youngstown. Now we will all hear about these great recruits, and how this third class of frosh are "the best class yet". Then we have to start them, (because the best kids play) then we lose all of the current frosh, and once again find ourselves making allowances for lack of performance because of our youth. You cannot coach experience ...experience coaches you.

The tale of the tape for those of you who still think the defense is so bad.

Note below:  Penelties and special teams kill YSU!!  If the defense was so bad this game should have been a lot worse  >:(

Drive summary:

Youngstown St. 1 15:00 6:29 YSU20 11 80 TD
Missouri St. 1 08:27 0:37 YSU47 3 1 PUNT
Youngstown St. 1 07:50 3:27 YSU10 6 17 PUNT
Missouri St. 1 04:23 2:40 MSU39 8 61 TD
Youngstown St. 1 01:43 1:09 YSU20 3 80 TD
Missouri St. 1 00:23 1:13 YSU10 4 -2 FG
 Youngstown St. 2 14:09 2:19 YSU34 3 -10 PUNT
Missouri St. 2 11:50 2:15 MSU38 7 57 FUMB
Youngstown St. 2 09:35 2:23 YSU27 6 16 PUNT

Missouri St. 2 07:12 0:58 MSU20 3 8 PUNT
Youngstown St. 2 06:14 3:11 YSU46 6 54 TD
Missouri St. 2 03:03 2:23 MSU20 6 11 INT
Youngstown St. 2 00:40 0:28 MSU27 3 27 TD

Missouri St. 2 00:04 0:04 MSU33 1 0 HALF
Missouri St. 3 14:54 1:32 MSU46 4 54 TD
Youngstown St. 3 13:22 2:38 YSU20 5 27 PUNT
Missouri St. 3 10:44 4:57 MSU43 11 57 TD
Youngstown St. 3 05:47 2:02 YSU20 5 25 PUNT
Missouri St. 3 03:45 2:48 MSU18 6 23 PUNT
Youngstown St. 3 00:57 6:29 YSU27 14 73 TD
Missouri St. 4 09:19 2:51 MSU40 9 60 TD
Youngstown St. 4 06:28 4:24 YSU31 8 27 PUNT
Missouri St. 4 02:04 1:54 MSU36 9 64 TD   :-X
Youngstown St. 4 00:09 0:09 YSU27 2 18 HALF

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:36:57 AM by ysubigred »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 01:01:52 PM »
MSU was 4/4 on fourth downs which is unheard of.  I live on the west coast and watched the play-by-play on the computer and if i recall they converted a 4th and 17?  Im not sure how anyone can defend the defense with those stats..... Bottom line the TEAM choked under pressure and that includes coaches!  If nothing else they know how it feels now... Move on and hope for the best. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
MSU was 4/4 on fourth downs which is unheard of.  I live on the west coast and watched the play-by-play on the computer and if i recall they converted a 4th and 17?  Im not sure how anyone can defend the defense with those stats..... Bottom line the TEAM choked under pressure and that includes coaches!  If nothing else they know how it feels now... Move on and hope for the best.

Wasn't saying the D wasn't bad just saying they weren't the only problem as some on here think.  We really played bad against a team that give's up 37 points a game.   This is my last word on this years team now on to 2012 :)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »
On tonights YSU Football show on 570 WKBN Hannon asked Wolford if he expects all of his assistants to be back and Wolford said yes.   

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
On tonights YSU Football show on 570 WKBN Hannon asked Wolford if he expects all of his assistants to be back and Wolford said yes.   

I really wouldn't expect him to say anything different on the radio, especially two days after the season ended.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »

Most of the opinions I've read are spot-on.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what went wrong in that game.  And you don't have to be a college coach either.  I'm tired of "we're young" crap.  We might have been young after the first two games, no longer so young at the end of the year.

If Heacock had blown the 3 games we blew by NOT BEING READY TO PLAY, people would have run him out way sooner than they did.  This Wolford guy gets a pass?  Not from me.

Here's what I want to hear from him:  We were not ready to play and that's on me (he can say that 3 times)  Our special teams have been a struggle all year, and that's on me.  We might have made some unwise personnel decisions, and that's on me.  The coaches are going to work just as hard in the offseason as the players so we can get to where we have to be.

He says that, he has my full support.  He goes around like he's the messiah, guru, he doesn't.

I apologize if he has said any of the above and I missed it somewhere.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

Most of the opinions I've read are spot-on.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what went wrong in that game.  And you don't have to be a college coach either.  I'm tired of "we're young" crap.  We might have been young after the first two games, no longer so young at the end of the year.

If Heacock had blown the 3 games we blew by NOT BEING READY TO PLAY, people would have run him out way sooner than they did.  This Wolford guy gets a pass?  Not from me.

Here's what I want to hear from him:  We were not ready to play and that's on me (he can say that 3 times)  Our special teams have been a struggle all year, and that's on me.  We might have made some unwise personnel decisions, and that's on me.  The coaches are going to work just as hard in the offseason as the players so we can get to where we have to be.

He says that, he has my full support.  He goes around like he's the messiah, guru, he doesn't.

I apologize if he has said any of the above and I missed it somewhere.
Agree 100%--Wolf is a helluva recruiter but he's also where the buck stops--I'll have a lot more respect for him when he admits the bottom line.