YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU vs. UC-Riverside

(1/4) > >>

ysuscuba:
Ok, I've been trying to keep my mind off the playoffs.  Anyone out there have good info on UC-Riverside?  I'm to lazy to look it up myself.  Do we have a good shot @ going 3-0 for the first time since 00-01??   :-*

ysuindy:
Scuba - Yes YSU has a good shot to go 3-0 but it won't be easy.

UC-Riverside is 1-1.  They beat Division III California Lutheran 72-48 before losing at UTEP 52-41.

Sagarin and Massey ratings have YSU as a slight favorite at home - I recall somewhere in the 4 to 7 point range.

6-4 senior Phil Martin is their leading returning scorer.

They had a bunch of new guys last year, finished 12-19.

This game is the return game for the 2009-10 Bracket Buster game where the Highlanders beat YSU 62-60.

Ashen Ward is the only Penguin left who played in that game - he started and had 7 points.

6-7 junior David Chavarria is the only Highlander who played in the game - he had 7 points including the buzzer beater to give UC-R the win.

Says a lot about why these two teams have not had much recent success, that two years after a game in which 19 players saw action, only two of those players are still on the rosters. 

With 6 of the next 8 on the road for YSU, this is a game the Penguins need to win.

ysuindy:
My morning paper has YSU a 4 point favorite - not much more than the home court advantage.

ysuindy:
http://horizonleaguehoops.com/2011/11/18/friday-storylines-nov-18/

See a quick preview here in the Horizon League Hoops blog.  He references Ken Pomeroy's system giving YSU a 67% chance of winning the game.  Also note the comments about Kendrick Perry.

FWIW - I think Pomeroy does the best statistical analysis out there - he went to a pay site for a lot of his stuff this year. 

ysuscuba:
Very interesting.... >:(

"Says a lot about why these two teams have not had much recent success, that two years after a game in which 19 players saw action, only two of those players are still on the rosters. "

I really hope we can get this game in the bag.  I'll be watching!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version