Author Topic: YSU's biggest problem.  (Read 4654 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU's biggest problem.
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
Thinking about this weekend, I've come to the conclusion that we need a better kickoff guy plus coverage team.  I can't believe with all the guy's on the team someone can't kick the ball from the 40 to the goal line or end zone.  The Defense is always covering a short field because of this.  Last week at NDSU we would have been better served if we would have just kicked the ball out of bounds :(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:31:32 PM by ysubigred »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Re: YSU's biggest problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
Red is right.

Our special teams-----------------all of them, are just horrible.  When we play a good team we are thrilled to get the ball back to the 25, while we allow them to get to the 40.  Same thing on punt coverage and returns.
I hope this doesn't bit us in the azz if we are fortunate enough for season to continue.

They should hold auditions for special teams every Monday.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
Tressel has always maintained that Special Teams is the biggest key to victory.  And the championship years proved it.  In the recent past under JH, we had done some pooch kicking toward the sidelines near the 25-30 yd line.

However, I do remember seeing some of the hardest hits of this year come on kickoffs by #34 Thomas Sprague (Valpo and Illinois State). However, I have not seen him on the field for kickoffs during the 2nd half of the season.

Liste is more natural at the P rather than K.  However, our more experienced transfer K haven't been able to get the ball in the endzone, so they may just be working on initiating Nick for both positions.

I have faith in our PK.  I believe the two early misses were a result of 39-41 yd FGs from the right hash rather than straight on or the left hash (certain on SDSU).  Each was a result of the play calling that is not to set up for FG's but rather score TD's, as it should be.

Z

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
Couldn't agree more...the kick-off is the only play where I feel we are outclassed consistantly. I thought it would cost us the game last week.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:53:46 PM »
Couldn't agree more...the kick-off is the only play where I feel we are outclassed consistantly. I thought it would cost us the game last week.

Since we score so much we're always kicking it off LOL!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
great topic ...could not agree more. I have n issue with Liste or Brown ...both are great at wheta they do ...punt and accuracy kicks. We need a "boomer" for kickoffs. We have used 3 kickers since coach H took over ...maybe even a few years earlier.