YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Northern Iowa rallies past Youngstown State 21-17

(1/5) > >>

IAA Fan:
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP)—David Johnson scored on a 1-yard run with 1:59 to play to give Northern Iowa a 21-17 victory over Youngstown State on Saturday.

Johnson carried the ball eight times on the winning drive, and caught a 32-yard pass from Jared Lanpher. A pass-interference penalty also helped Northern Iowa.

Lanpher connected twice with Terrell Sinkfield for touchdowns for the Panthers (7-2, 6-1), who kept their hopes alive for a Missouri Valley title.

Kurt Hess threw a 38-yard touchdown pass to Will Shaw early in the fourth quarter to put the Penguins (5-4, 3-3) ahead 17-14. Jamaine Cook ran for 90 yards and a touchdown for Youngstown State.

YOUNGSTOWN ST-FG, D Brown 28 YD 5:20 1st Qtr
NORTHERN IOWA-TD, T Sinkfield 32 YD PASS FROM J Lanpher (T
Sievertsen KICK) 9:23 1st Qtr
YOUNGSTOWN ST-TD, J Cook 1 YD RUN (D Brown KICK) 14:33 2nd
Qtr
NORTHERN IOWA-TD, T Sinkfield 31 YD PASS FROM J Lanpher (T
Sievertsen KICK) 14:54 2nd Qtr
YOUNGSTOWN ST-TD, W Shaw 38 YD PASS FROM K Hess (D Brown
KICK) 1:18 4th Qtr
NORTHERN IOWA-TD, D Johnson 1 YD RUN (T Sievertsen KICK)
13:01 4th Qtr

YOUNGSTOWN ST    NORTHERN IOWA
First downs                       19               11
Rushed-yards                  40-118            27-30
Passing yards                    175              238
Sacked-yards lost                1-1             3-23
Return yards                       8               54
Passes                       17-35-2          16-28-0
Punts                         6-45.7           9-38.4
Fumbles-lost                     1-0              1-0
Penalties-yards                 3-25             9-81
Time of possession             34:30            25:30

Individual Statistics

RUSHING: YOUNGSTOWN ST-Jamaine Cook 30-90, Adaris Bellamy 4-28, Kevin
Watts 1-5, Team 1-MINUS 1, Kurt Hess 4-MINUS 4. NORTHERN IOWA-David
Johnson 18-47, Carlos Anderson 2-3, Team 1-MINUS 2, Jared Lanpher
6-MINUS 18.

PASSING: YOUNGSTOWN ST-Kurt Hess 17-34-175- 2, Andre Barboza 0-1-0- 0.
NORTHERN IOWA-Jared Lanpher 16-28-238- 0.

RECEIVING: YOUNGSTOWN ST-Will Shaw 2-48, Jamaine Cook 5-39, Christian
Bryan 3-29, Jelani Berassa 3-27, Kevin Watts 3-20, Andre Barboza 1-12.
NORTHERN IOWA-Jarred Herring 6-84, Terrell Sinkfield 3-69, David
Johnson 2-31, Brett LeMaster 1-30, Austin Wells 2-17, Darion Howard
1-10, Chad Owens 1-MINUS 3.

Att: 11,523

YSUfan21:
the last 25 seconds of the 1st half is the reason we lost
that simple

penguinpower:
We played well enough to win but we gave up 4 big plays that hurt us. The first TD pass where we let the receiver get behind the safety, the two pass plays at the end of the 1st half where they scored in 11 seconds and the 4th down play at the end of the game. The defense is much improved. This game turned into a defensive battle. UNI defense was fast and athletic and matched up well with the offense.

Mistakes like a bad snap on the first drive may have cost us a TD. I figured that our high powered offense would have been able to put up some more points against them. I thought the coaches were on to something when they started running Bellamy up the middle on that 15 play 7 minute drive in the second qtr. Bellamy seemed to excel in those inside lanes and it didn't look like they had an answer for it.

The young defense is much improved, and they cut the number of lapses down to 4 against a good team. Hopefully they learned that 11 seconds is too long to have a mental lapse.

The coaches did a great job putting us in position to win. We matched up with them athletically. It was nice to see that aspect. How many times did they just wear us down over the last 10 years?  UNI was happy to get out of there and they were lucky they won. Next year their luck runs out. We get all of our young kids back and maybe with a few more JUCO's to add some depth we will surely be in the top 4 teams in the country

We are playing some good football right now and I would hate to have to face us in any game as a coach. We continue to improve. Hopefully we remain mathematically eligible to make the playoffs if we win out. NDSU is going to have their hands full with us.

Really I'm not upset with the loss because I know where we're headed.

IAA Fan:
Great points. The common thread between your posts is the secondary. Again I nominate Sentner as MVP. He was the only guy back there that knew where the ball was ...and he was not playing his natural position. I mean that pass to the corner (by UNI) needed a calendar & a protractor to measure how long it took to get there and arc; yet we still did not see it because we did not even know the receiver was back there. Two passes for a score in the closing seconds? I have been a fan a very long time & this is the only team I have ever seen give this up ...just no excuse. Then we put Obiwan in finally, and use his size to open a lane.

On offense I completely agree that we missed the boat with Bellamy. UNI was trying to bring pressure on Hess from the sides and giving us the middle, because they knew it was for short yardage, but with a power back in there, those 2-3 yard runs would have turned into 4-6 yard runs. Montgomery outfoxed himself this time. Too many looks, especially in the first half. We wound up playing a true "gateway conference" football game and we not prepared ...nor did we have the roster. UNI knew we could not move the ball against them ...so they stayed with drives that ate up the clock ...caring less whether or not they scored. If the score was 14-10 at the start of the second half, this would not have happened.

YSUfan21:
but i think its starting to get close to say YSU is working its way to being back to a powerhouse in FCS

we are just experiance away on D from being a NC contender, too much youth has killed us this year
we have 2 big games left, we win both we could make the playoffs and that much more practice time and another game or 2 will only make us stronger for next year

how many starters do we return next year? i know on D we should only lose 1, not sure on how many on offense

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version