Author Topic: SIU post game thoughts (Wolfords first road win}  (Read 11522 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SIU post game thoughts (Wolfords first road win}
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Wasn't pretty but I'll take it.

We certainly improved defensivly. Not sure if it was scheme or play or both. I just don't get the same perspective whn I am not watching live play.

Special teams could have caused us bigger headaches with the field position we were giving up all day. The Defense played better and I like the blitzing.

The offense really didn't have too many sustained drives. 2 of the scores were like 1:30 3-play drives
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:58:55 PM by penguinpower »

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »
Congrats on the Win!  8)

Contrary to popular belief I have been very happy with the half-time adjustments made by our defense (both staff and players).

team   1st   2nd   3rd   4th  total
YSU     63    76     48    28   215
OPP    48    99     20    38   205

Z

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »
Good point PenZ. We actually backed off the blitz in the second half. I like to see more power on both sides of the ball ...(ie: sustained drives and blitzing). However, in the second quarter, their QB burned us on those blitzes (slant pattern of course), so we backed off.

A integral part of blitzing is having faith in your secondary. In this case, the SIU QB "couldn't hit the broad side of a barn". He had many, many wide opened receivers. He had only started 1-game prior to Saturday. This luxury will not happen against MSU, WIU, NDSU and UNI. I am still concerned, but I asked for noticeable change, and I got it. Thanks Wolf!! Congrats on the win guys!