YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

a win is a win

(1/4) > >>

guinpen:
First of all, best of luck to Valpo the rest of the season.

We won and I do not believe anyone got hurt so it was a good day. Crowd was too small, weather was ok. Like the new net at the south end, it really bugged me how the old one sagged. Team looked good but next week will be a better gauge.

Wick250:
I am still excited about the way that we competed at Michigan State, especially after the Spartans demolished a FBS team yesterday.  The Valpo game means nothing, except to the idiots in the NCAA who pretend that nonscholarship football belongs in FCS.  The Illinois State game is going to tell us a lot.  Their offense is probably the most explosive in the league.  Can we rush the passer?  Can we prevent backs from turning the corner?  Can the secondary hold up?  We should know the answers to those questions in seven days.  If this defense can hold opponents to 24 points per game (and I am confident that they can) we should score more than that on any FCS foe.

ysuguins4:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on September 11, 2011, 11:50:03 AM ---the NCAA who pretend that nonscholarship football belongs in FCS.
--- End quote ---
I couldn't agree more with that.  I've attended roughly 150 YSU games, and I believe Valpo was the worst opponent I've seen.  The only one that may come close is the Central State team we played in 2008.

ysuindy:
Did not realize that Valpo comes back again next year.

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

Wick250:
Yep, that will really "pack 'em in." :P  We need to buy two home games, and if the Pioneer League is the best that we can do, so be it.  Going back to D2 games given bizarre NCAA policy would be suicidal.  I really hope that we can start to get two games per year against teams from the NEC conference.  As partial scholarship outfits, those teams can not play real money games like we can.  Also, certainly they harbor no illusions about making the playoffs as an at large selection, so losing to YSU won't hurt their playoff chances and should "toughen" them for their league competition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version