Author Topic: Road Trip  (Read 11209 times)

Offline Just Toyin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Road Trip
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Any of the old road crew plan on making the trip to East Lansing?

Anyone have any tips on where to tailgate (preferrably where some other YSU faithful can be found!)?

Looking forward to catching up with many of you back in the world's best tailgate lot in a couple of weeks!!!

Go Mighty Guins!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
several of my crew are going, although I am not. Look for two pick-ups with the tall YSU flag.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
Just Toyin

Hello to you and yours....We are not going to MS game
however, we'll see you at a home game soon.

GO PENGUINS

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:41 AM »
We'll be staying home.  See you in a couple of weeks when we take on mighty Valpo.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »
Any of the old road crew plan on making the trip to East Lansing?

Anyone have any tips on where to tailgate (preferrably where some other YSU faithful can be found!)?

Looking forward to catching up with many of you back in the world's best tailgate lot in a couple of weeks!!!

Go Mighty Guins!!!

Going to Indy ST. And southern IL right now.  Looking into going to NDSU with a NDSU grad if he's not deployed to Afgan :(

Offline Just Toyin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »
I-AA - I'll keep my eyes peeled for a tall YSU flag - we'll have one flying high as well but I'm not hopeful that I will spot your crew unless I know which lot they plan to tailgate.

Pita - I am definitely looking forward to seeing you and your better half at our home opener.  I hope the two of you have had a very healthy off season!?!  You know the away games just aren't the same without you and your pre-game toasts!!!

Husky - Mighty Valpo, I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog!!!

Red - Indy St is a definite for me.  SIU is probable.  I want to get to both S & NDST at some point just not sure it will be this year (maybe some airline deals too good to pass up but that is unlikely).

I try not to get overly optomistic but I am very much looking forward to both the upcoming football and basketball seasons.  I think both programs have taken a step forward!?!  We shall see.

GO MIGHTY GUINS!!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
Toyin'--a number of us are busing up for the game and are staying at the Lexington Lansing hotel. There is a mini "tailgate" party at the hotel at approx 2:30 PM. Stop if you get the chance.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:31:53 PM »
Thought about this game, but the Friday night kills us.  Was going to take my son out of school early - until he ended up with 4 exams on Friday.  Can't leave Indy at 3 and get there by kickoff.  Will be in front of the TV watching.  Unfortunately Saturday high school cross country in Northern Indiana is going to keep us from getting to Terre Haute.

I will try to remember to post this again later, but for any of you going to Indiana State - add some extra travel time.  I-70 is effectively one long construction zone from just west of the Indy airport to the Illinois State line.  Numerous bridge reconstructions and lots of traffic jams and horror stories about long backups.  The Terre Haute schools have taken all of their buses off of I-70 for athletic travel, etc due to the backups as well as numerous accidents.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the tip Indy.  I go straight up 41 out of Evansville so I can see Jeffrey Dormers last place of residence  :)

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
Thought about this game, but the Friday night kills us.  Was going to take my son out of school early - until he ended up with 4 exams on Friday.  Can't leave Indy at 3 and get there by kickoff.  Will be in front of the TV watching.  Unfortunately Saturday high school cross country in Northern Indiana is going to keep us from getting to Terre Haute.

I will try to remember to post this again later, but for any of you going to Indiana State - add some extra travel time.  I-70 is effectively one long construction zone from just west of the Indy airport to the Illinois State line.  Numerous bridge reconstructions and lots of traffic jams and horror stories about long backups.  The Terre Haute schools have taken all of their buses off of I-70 for athletic travel, etc due to the backups as well as numerous accidents.
Indy--a bunch of us are driving there. Any tips as to where to go once reaching the Indy airport??

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
IP - let me talk to a couple of people who work out that way once we get closer to game week.  The obvious answer is take US 40 - which parallels I-70 a handful of miles to the north.  40 is the old National Road - is four lanes all the way to Terre Haute.  What I can't tell you now is how crowded and congested that will be.  There really isn't another "easy" way to go.  Two major towns on 40 - Plainfield just west of the airport and Brazil about halfway out.  I drove 40 back from Terre Haute to Brazil after the game a few years back - it was a decent drive, but lots of stop and go in Brazil.

Offline MSU Spartan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
If theres any tips I can give to those making the trip to East Lansing tomorrow let me know.

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
Indy, any info. on Rt.40 to  Terra Haute. Only 2 weeks away. ;D

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:37 PM »
A lot is going to depend on when you come through town.  Talked to my co-worker on Friday - she said that during afernoon rush hour 70 is backed up several miles and recommended taking 40. 

If you head out Saturday morning I would allow an extra hour - what is normally a one hour trip might take two - but staying on 70 "probably" works. Friday afternoon - from 4 to 7 the most regular traffic reports are on 93.1 - every ten minutes.  Their traffic coverage isn't what it used to be - but it is still the best in town.

Also watch the overhead signs as you come in to and through Indy - stay on 70 through the City unless there is a reported accident or issue on 70 thorugh the City.  There is construction on 465 on the West and East side.  US36 is not really an option IMO as the traffic from 465 out to Danville, Indiana is brutal - think 224 between 680 and 11.

The overhead signs typically give good information - the problem is that they only reference mile markers - not exit routes, towns, etc (i.e. accident ahead mile marker 64.1 - expect delays).  The airport is exit 68.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
Well just 5 days away who all is going to be there and what time is the TG lot/grass area going to be open.  Any special requests for beverages  ;)