YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Interesting quote from coach W

<< < (3/3)

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: ysubigred on August 24, 2011, 10:25:37 AM ---If they're that beat up then they need to be on the bench.  I'm not sure what you mean by "they deserve something".  They are paid to perform via scholarships. If all is equal then the under class men should get the nod since he's going to get better.  The JR/SR seems to be peaked out.

--- End quote ---

On the bench for a rest? That is what the back-up is for. If not, I now have a dejected former starter, that is going to give a little as possible as a back-up. Now you can easily say, then go down to your third-string ...but then what have you accomplished? The former starter at 50% is probably better than the third-stringer at 99%. The better plan is to keep your upper-class starter, then increase your back-ups playing time as needed. Eventually it may become more than the starter, that is the cycle I would like to see on any team.

Again this only general talk on coaching philosophies. I like what I see from coach W so far.

HappyPenguin:
He said something very similar last year in the pre-season too....don't read too much into it.

If he doesn't win than he is out of a job so I can see his point.

penguinpower:
Heacock's issue was that he was loyal to a fault.  Upperclassmen didn't have to work once they were upperclassmen in addition to the fact that the best player may not have been on the field most of the time. 

If you are satisfied with one playoff appearance in 10 years, then run the new coach off.  Because this new guy is on a mission to win and I think you will find that he intends to do it in his own style.

bpcats:
Always put the best players on the field.

MSU's redshirt freshman D. McGhee won the job over returning Sr. Qb Kempt and we couldn't be happier with the results. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version