Author Topic: Packers rookie CB Brandian Ross makes play of the night  (Read 2784 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Packers rookie CB Brandian Ross makes play of the night
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »

Green Bay Packers rookie CB Brandian Ross makes play of the night, intercepts Aaron Rodgers

Brandian Ross wasn’t your typical “Pick-6” cornerback during his college career at Youngstown State University.

Actually, Ross never even scored a touchdown.

But as an undrafted rookie trying to make the Green Bay Packers‘ roster, Ross is quickly discovering that being a playmaker doesn’t hurt your chances.

The 6-foot Ross was responsible for the most exciting play of Saturday’s weather-shortened Packers Family Night practice, intercepting quarterback Aaron Rodgers on the first offensive play of the night and returning it for about a 20-yard touchdown.

With both of Green Bay’s starting cornerbacks, Charles Woodson (coach’s decision) and Tramon Williams (hip), sitting out during Saturday, it opened the door for the 21-year-old Ross to show why he was the Penguins' first defensive player to sign an NFL contract as an undrafted player since 2003.

“In college, I was more of the ‘Pick it and run out of bounds guy,’” said Ross, who had seven interceptions during a four-year college career. “I wasn’t the type to score in college, but was definitely nice to do.”

Ross continued to hold his own against the first-string offense, breaking up a long-pass to wide receiver Jordy Nelson on the offense’s next possession.

Rodgers still got a measure of revenge later in practice with a long completion to wide receiver Randall Cobb at Ross’ expense, but it was a strong start overall.

If Ross needed any further proof of where a strong training camp can get you, he need look no further than second-year cornerback Sam Shields, who made the team last year with his game-breaking ability.

“Making plays on this defense is going to get me on the field,” said Ross, who moved from safety to cornerback during his senior year because of injuries. “Every practice and every game, I try to envision myself doing something good whether it’s on defense or special teams. I always try to play it in my head over-and-over again, so I wasn’t shocked or anything. It was nice to do it.”

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:59:21 PM by IAA Fan »