Travis William LB Miami Hurricanes Transfer to YSU

<< < (3/4) > >>

IAA Fan:
Okay, here we are. The Hampton paper:

By Larry Rubama
The Virginian-Pilot
© August 04, 2011

NORFOLK

Travis Williams, a former Lake Taylor High star linebacker, has called an audible.

Last week Williams, who is 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, said he was going to Hampton after transferring from Miami (Fla.).

But on Monday he decided to sign with Youngstown State.

"I feel like it's a better situation," said Williams, a former two-time All-Tidewater player.

"Growing up in the 757, I've seen all I need to see. I just wanted to continue my journey away from home. In the (Missouri Valley Football Conference) they play bigger schools. I'll get a chance to play against better competition, so I can see where I really stand (rather) than against a lower division."

According to one power poll last season, the Missouri Valley ranked second among Football Championship Subdivision conferences behind only the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, where Hampton plays, ranked 10th out of 11 conferences.

Youngstown State has  played Penn State, Pittsburgh and Ohio State in the past four seasons and this season opens at Michigan State on Sept 2.

Williams was highly recruited out of high school and signed with Miami.

He missed last season with a knee injury, but earned a starting position during spring practice.

He said a disagreement with new Hurricanes head coach Al Golden made him realize it would be better to leave.

He wanted to come home to be with mother. Last July, his brother, Wayne, was killed.

"When my brother got murdered my family was stressing and I wanted to be close to home," he said.

"After talking to my mother, my mother encouraged me to go away from home."

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 04, 2011, 10:22:48 AM ---Okay, here we are. The Hampton paper:

By Larry Rubama
The Virginian-Pilot
© August 04, 2011

NORFOLK

Travis Williams, a former Lake Taylor High star linebacker, has called an audible.

Last week Williams, who is 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, said he was going to Hampton after transferring from Miami (Fla.).

But on Monday he decided to sign with Youngstown State.

"I feel like it's a better situation," said Williams, a former two-time All-Tidewater player.

"Growing up in the 757, I've seen all I need to see. I just wanted to continue my journey away from home. In the (Missouri Valley Football Conference) they play bigger schools. I'll get a chance to play against better competition, so I can see where I really stand (rather) than against a lower division."

According to one power poll last season, the Missouri Valley ranked second among Football Championship Subdivision conferences behind only the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, where Hampton plays, ranked 10th out of 11 conferences.

Youngstown State has  played Penn State, Pittsburgh and Ohio State in the past four seasons and this season opens at Michigan State on Sept 2.

Williams was highly recruited out of high school and signed with Miami.

He missed last season with a knee injury, but earned a starting position during spring practice.

He said a disagreement with new Hurricanes head coach Al Golden made him realize it would be better to leave.

He wanted to come home to be with mother. Last July, his brother, Wayne, was killed.

"When my brother got murdered my family was stressing and I wanted to be close to home," he said.

"After talking to my mother, my mother encouraged me to go away from home."

--- End quote ---

Cool!!  At 6'3" 208 I bet he's fast as a cat!!  Sounds like a great pick up for the "D" :)

Wick250:
I also applaud the views posted by Pizza.  This young man now has a wonderful opportunity.  Sad to learn about his brother, but that just underscores the fact that parts of inner-city culture are dysfunctional everywhere in this country.  I hope that he can put that behind him and make a new life here.

guinpen:
I like the looks of this, welcome aboard

Pizza:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 03, 2011, 11:07:49 PM ---That should be required reading Pizza ...great post.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, but I just state my humble opinion and the obvious......no great  talent required on that venture.....LOL.

But appreciate it nontheless.

Welcome Travis!!!!!!

KNOCK PEOPLE DOWN !!!!!

and stay out of trouble......the library during your free time is a great place to do that!

Just sayin'......just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version