Author Topic: Scalzo: Ice Castle becomes White Castle  (Read 6406 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: Ice Castle becomes White Castle
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:35:45 AM »
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

YSU sophomore Adaris Bellamy first saw snow last semester and the Florida native often grabbed his roommates from Arizona and California to have impromptu snowball fights.

Then he went home from Christmas.

“When I came back I got tired of it,” he said.

He spent part of Wednesday’s practice complaining that he couldn’t run drills because his legs were frozen.

Defensive coordinator Rick Kravitz, also a Florida native, spent his whole career coaching in the south until taking a job at Western Michigan a few years ago.

“The first time I ever went in the snow, I almost fell three times,” he said.

He spent part of Wednesday’s practice complaining that his hands were frozen. Oh, and he nearly fell, too.

Finally, at 5:40 p.m., Penguins coach Eric Wolford decided he’d seen enough and ended practice about 40 minutes early. As he walked toward the tunnel near the south end zone, the WATTS — the indoor facility that was originally scheduled to open in late 2010, a date that has now been pushed back to June — stood in plain sight, mocking him.

“That thing’s looking at me right now,” Wolford said, grinning.

After getting terrific weather for his first spring at YSU, Wolford hasn’t been so lucky this year. He was greeted Wednesday with a snow blanket that covered up the yardage lines — sophomore running back Jordan Thompson used his shoe to create boundaries — and had some offensive linemen wearing (gasp!) long sleeves.

The conditions provided the extra mayonnaise for the turkeyburger Wolford’s team has been enduring, weather-wise, over the first five practices.

“Last year we had good weather, so maybe if you have bad weather in the spring, it’ll be a better outcome,” said Wolford, whose team went 3-8 last fall. “It’s part of being in northeast Ohio. You’ve got to play in the elements.”

Bellamy and Kravitz are both from the Tampa/St. Petersburg area — which had a high in the 70s with a thunderstorm warning Wednesday, in case you’re wondering — and the Penguins have 10 Florida natives on the roster. They also have two from California and one each from Arizona, Georgia and Virginia.

“I don’t think too many guys have played in anything like that,” Bellamy said. “Maybe pickup games, but not an actual game or a scrimmage.

“You can’t do what you really want to do. You can’t make the right cut and the right read. Really, it’s all footing and ball control.”

The Penguins spent a lot of time on running plays during the nearly two-hour session — the ones involving 225-pound running back Torrian Pace were particularly fun — and Wolford was disappointed that the Penguins committed so many turnovers, particularly fumbles.

“Those are things we feel like we should be able to control,” he said.

Still, Wolford said the conditions gave the Penguins a taste of December football.

“If we go where we want to go, we’re probably going to have to play in one of these games,” Wolford said. “It’s just good to get in some work in a not-perfect setting and see who responds and who doesn’t.

“We’ve got to find out who can play in weather. Who can throw in it, who can catch it and who can take care of the ball.”

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Scalzo: Ice Castle becomes White Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:40:13 AM »
Come on Joe ...the article should read "this is why they call it the 'ice castle'". This is NE Ohio ...it is cold and snows here. Get used to it. We fans bundle up, tailgate and watch in the snow. I would have loved to have been there. No matter how odd it is for April ...This is Penguin Weather!! So think of it as an omen ...this is the year of the Penguin.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »
Coach Eric Wolford Post Practice Comments | March 30

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
The team should not have to practice in that enviroment, that's why the WATTS center was constructed. Due to an inept construction management crew the WATTS center was not completed on time. Maybe by next spring training the team will have a fine facility to practice in.

This allows for less injuries, to run correct routes for each play and allows the proper timing to be accurately accessed.

Yes, we may have to play games in this type of weather, but spring practice is not game.   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Right on with WATTS OYF! The biggest issue is the loss of limited practice days. Let's remember though; not too many schools our size have anything like WATTS. Also, many of our JUCO's may not have ever seen this weather before; so this is good, as the chance of summer snow is slim-to-none. I do not want my players to seeing snow inthe Ice Castle for the first time when James Madison is taking the field, or we are heading out to EWU or Montana. I would think that coach W modified the workouts to limit injuries.

Not snow related, I see more and more mentions of Torian Pace this spring. Nice to know we have 230lbs waiting for 4th-and-goal.

Offline TheBearMay

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »
All I have to say is that it got pretty $%*&$)%& cold watching practice yesterday.... Nothing like taking off your cap and realizing you have over a 1/2 of snow sitting on top it. ;D
Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.