YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Guins Visit Valparaiso in First Round of Horizon League Championship

<< < (3/3)

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on March 02, 2011, 12:16:56 PM ---Scalzo had a column in the Vindicator today in which he was honest and pulled no punches.  He reported that Slocum would be back for his option year, but he also suggested that Slocum was not the long-term solution.  Scalzo pointed out his lack of enthusiasm with fans and media and the customary high turnover rate during his tenure.

Scalzo also bluntly made two points that our bland media usually ignore.  First, this is "a poor recruiting area."  I still bump into people that believe that we should be recruiting the junk that comes out of our local high schools.  Second, he cited our "weak tradition."  Those of us that followed the Dom teams from South High fieldhouse to the two near Ohio Valley conference tournament misses (by Rice but with Dom's players) might be offended by that statement.  But it is true.  That success was ancient history.  Face it.  We have stunk for about 25 years!

Finally, Scalzo noted the lack of concern for this constant losing by the general public.  This is the most dangerous problem.  Most casual fans are beyond caring.  Most of our football fans don't even follow the basketball team, forget about attending games.  And Scalzo implies: how do you increase the financial commitment when nobody seems to care?  As distasteful as his comments are to the true fans on this site, they are right on the mark.

--- End quote ---

Ditto.  I'm one of those fans that love to see basketball end because spring football is about to start  :D  Would love to see the Guins make it to the big dance before I die tho.........  :-\

Dmorton:
Whether you say Slocum can not recruit big guys or not, the fact remains it is why we lost half the games we lost.  How many offensive rebounds did Valpo and Milwaukee, Cleveland St. have against us.  I could easily count five to seven a game.  It does not take an Einstein to see where our problems were this year!  Hint:  It wasn't guard play!  I was post play, even though Eargle is a beast at 6-7.

Dmorton:
YSUPride says it best on the other site in reply to (YSU basketball future bright).  We'll lose a couple of guys off the team, not play any defense and have no big men of consequence.  Another 20-loss season next year.  Our recruiting will look Div II against other teams in the Horizon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version