Author Topic: SDU week  (Read 2489 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDU week
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2024, 04:58:04 PM »
AMEN

WELL SAID

Let the search begin!!! LOL

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2024, 05:18:14 PM »
I just watched Phillips post game press conference on youtube. I would say more of the same from the head coach.  One insight is that ONLY 149 viewed or watched what he had to say.  That tells me there is very little interest in what he has to say and the program in general.
Good point.
I gave up half way through the last one and I will not watch anymore. As a matter of fact, the DE gave the best assessment on his video after the SDU game. He spoke from his heart. DP should learn from him.
Forget about the 149 views… just think about the decrease in posting during and after each game. It had less than 20% of what it used to be.
There were more posting on the basketball than football. How far have we fallen?

Offline Jayguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2024, 12:06:00 AM »
Not sure why we praise Wolford.  He frustrated me the most out of any coach.  No lead was big enough.   As a young coach he did not manage timeouts and he never improved in 5 years with that.   Also he had the 7 is better than 3 philosophy and never kicked a fg.  Both of those things cost us a game or 2 a year and that's directly related to the head coach. He is a good offensive coordinator but at least when he was here he wasn't a head coach.  I think to be fair this year our d is our weakness. Let's see how we finish the year. Go guins. The last 3 games are winnable   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2024, 05:45:33 AM »
Not sure why we praise Wolford.  He frustrated me the most out of any coach.  No lead was big enough.   As a young coach he did not manage timeouts and he never improved in 5 years with that.   Also he had the 7 is better than 3 philosophy and never kicked a fg.  Both of those things cost us a game or 2 a year and that's directly related to the head coach. He is a good offensive coordinator but at least when he was here he wasn't a head coach.  I think to be fair this year our d is our weakness. Let's see how we finish the year. Go guins. The last 3 games are winnable   
To be honest, both Wilford and DP frustrated me (one was being too “over the top” and the other was being “too lay back “. However, Pelini frustrated me the most. Unlike the two, I don’t think Pelini wanted to be here.IMO, Wofford generated a lot more interests than DP. Right now, there are so few interests on our football program including low attendance and lack of participation by members on this board. We used to have passion during the season and now, very few seems to even care.
I don’t think it’s us. It has more to do with the product put on the field.
Go penguins.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2024, 09:07:55 AM »
Not sure this was mentioned on this site but our defense is leading the nation in giving up over 8 yards per play by the opposition.  I saw this posted on X .  YSU is ranked 96 out of 123 in total defense and it could probably be worse but the offense is ranked first in the nation in time of possession.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22/p2

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/705
« Last Edit: October 22, 2024, 09:14:02 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2024, 09:34:32 AM »
We are first in the nation in time of possession because our opponents score often and quickly, usually in five plays or less. :o Seriously, those defensive stats are shameful.

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2024, 09:42:26 AM »
I'm a bit perplexed what you guys want DP to say at his press conferences. I'm not defending the bad season by any means, but it also sounds like you guys want to complain just to complain.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2024, 10:26:01 AM »
I'm a bit perplexed what you guys want DP to say at his press conferences. I'm not defending the bad season by any means, but it also sounds like you guys want to complain just to complain.

This ^^ Wolford LOL LOL LOL!!

YSU fans are entertaining to say the least.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2024, 12:31:31 PM »
IMO, every coach since JT was frustrating.  EVERY. ONE!!!  JH - handed a dynasty. EW - couldn’t win in November. BP - accidentally found his way to Natty then arguably has worse season than DP but certainly left us with less than zero.  DP - enough has been said.

Finding out we are on par with all other coaches? There’s simply no other reason to doubt those who have a role in our demise.  The AD, JT and big name local donors have failed this program.  PERIOD. Because those three have direct involvement in every hire since ‘99. 

At his point, I want someone with zero ties, ever, to this area brought in to be AD and then to hire a new coach. Hell, it can’t be worse!!!

I realize this is a pipe dream but again IMO, this is the only option…for now.  Then, reassess again in 4-5 years.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2024, 12:38:54 PM »
I feel like the administration tried to pull the wool over our eyes with regard to salaries and budgets.  Always claiming poverty..  In my eyes Phillips and his coordinators are overpaid.  Phillips should be at the bottom of the conference based on his resume. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2024, 01:19:47 PM »
IMO, every coach since JT was frustrating.  EVERY. ONE!!!  JH - handed a dynasty. EW - couldn’t win in November. BP - accidentally found his way to Natty then arguably has worse season than DP but certainly left us with less than zero.  DP - enough has been said.

Finding out we are on par with all other coaches? There’s simply no other reason to doubt those who have a role in our demise.  The AD, JT and big name local donors have failed this program.  PERIOD. Because those three have direct involvement in every hire since ‘99. 

At his point, I want someone with zero ties, ever, to this area brought in to be AD and then to hire a new coach. Hell, it can’t be worse!!!

I realize this is a pipe dream but again IMO, this is the only option…for now.  Then, reassess again in 4-5 years.

Well said, #34.

Here are the hometowns of our football coaches since Narduzzi: Tressel (Berea,) Heacock (Beloit,) Wolford (Brookfield,) Pelini (Boardman,) Phillips (our Springfield.)

Here are the roots of the athletic directors since Narduzzi: Malmisur (Youngstown,) Tressel, Strollo (Austintown,) I am ignoring Pauline Saternow, the stop-gap between Tressel and Strollo.

As 34 noted, we need fresh eyes and fresh perspectives. A new AD and head coach from outside Northeast Ohio would be welcomed.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2024, 10:56:42 AM »
Folks...it comes down to recruiting and managing NIL and the Portal...none of the coaches that you mention had to deal with NIL or the Portal.  I can guarantee that if JT had to deal with NIL and the Portal - most of the star players that led to NCs would not have been there - OSU, Michigan, Pitt, WVU, Cinci, Penn State, MAC Schools, etc.. would have raped our program of Tamron, Deligianis, Vecchione, Hogg, Wilkins, Jones, etc..those kids would have left for $$$$ and would not care about NCs at 1-AA. Wave a a few hundred thousand, an SUV, etc.. in front of those kids who grew up in YO and that money would have been life changing let alone millions of $$$.  YSU would have been looked upon as a minor league for the big schools.  Tressel would have resigned and moved on and no way could have dealt with that pressure to reload every year by paying kids and sucking up to them..DP is dealing with a different monster and the Dakota teams don't deal with the portal as much as we have to due to no schools being in proximity of them - 4 schools in 2 states that dominate recruiting....If I was head coach, I would hire people who just deal with NIL and the Portal - business managers, HR professionals and Customer Service experts who can manage and satisfy these spoiled football players and their families of today.  Expectations are different - look at VA basketball coach - retired on the top of his game because of all of this BS. Nick Saban - gone!  We have found a way to ruin college sports in a matter of a few years! That is why people are losing interest because we all know that you only need to buy a good team now and not develop players. We don't have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Let's face it - back in the day - we might have a mediocre season but we knew what we had coming back and who was making progress and that we would be good the next year - now you can't count on that philosophy! I would not want to be a college football coach today because we turned a pretty much wholesome game (except for the violations exceptions) into a business.  That is why people are losing interest...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2024, 10:59:25 AM by peteonastick »
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2024, 11:05:51 AM »
Folks...it comes down to recruiting and managing NIL and the Portal...none of the coaches that you mention had to deal with NIL or the Portal.  I can guarantee that if JT had to deal with NIL and the Portal - most of the star players that led to NCs would not have been there - OSU, Michigan, Pitt, WVU, Cinci, Penn State, MAC Schools, etc.. would have raped our program of Tamron, Deligianis, Vecchione, Hogg, Wilkins, Jones, etc..those kids would have left for $$$$ and would not care about NCs at 1-AA. Wave a a few hundred thousand, an SUV, etc.. in front of those kids who grew up in YO and that money would have been life changing let alone millions of $$$.  YSU would have been looked upon as a minor league for the big schools.  Tressel would have resigned and moved on and no way could have dealt with that pressure to reload every year by paying kids and sucking up to them..DP is dealing with a different monster and the Dakota teams don't deal with the portal as much as we have to due to no schools being in proximity of them - 4 schools in 2 states that dominate recruiting....If I was head coach, I would hire people who just deal with NIL and the Portal - business managers, HR professionals and Customer Service experts who can manage and satisfy these spoiled football players and their families of today.  Expectations are different - look at VA basketball coach - retired on the top of his game because of all of this BS. Nick Saban - gone!  We have found a way to ruin college sports in a matter of a few years! That is why people are losing interest because we all know that you only need to buy a good team now and not develop players. We don't have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Let's face it - back in the day - we might have a mediocre season but we knew what we had coming back and who was making progress and that we would be good the next year - now you can't count on that philosophy! I would not want to be a college football coach today because we turned a pretty much wholesome game (except for the violations exceptions) into a business.  That is why people are losing interest...

Spot on. Great post.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »
And another thing...we were interested in posting on here every year because we knew the players..we knew who were upcoming freshman and sophomores...we watched the spring game with anticipation...we watched recruiting because we were excited to have them for 4 years and knew they would develop..we were interested in off season work outs and fall camp as we knew who was coming back and who showed promise the year before...if we were senior laden with all of them coming through the system we knew we were going to be good and we all talked about it on here with a passion and regularity....now the NIL and Portal rue the day and we are just sitting back and watching this ****show and have no say or idea what the he** is going to happen year to year...it's a shame.  Just like Bball...we have no idea how good we are going to be because we have 10 new players every year...it's a joke
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2024, 01:44:15 PM »

Pete I have to challenge you here a bit. lol. And I apologize if I misunderstood. I do agree with your post however, I don’t think its fair to say everyone deals with the portal/NIL, and if JT had the portal he would resign…all while effectively saying that the Dakotas schools DON’T have to worry  “as much” about the portal because there’s only 4 schools. I find it impossible to believe that their programs don’t have multiple players worthy of being raped but they decide to stay because there’s no other schools but 4?  Money is money whether you’re in Youngstown or Dakota or Nevada.  Or maybe their kids stay because their entire system is strong. And Maybe our players don’t stay because our entire system weak.  Full of unqualified, disgruntled P5, or friend of a friend of a donor coaches. While your point about someone be hired to manage the portal/nil is wise, who will that be?  Wolford’s grandson, the presidents cousin, Zidian’s neighbor???  I used to roll my eyes with Palladin and others calling out the cronyism and the poor history of Strollo. But ya know what, I’m finally seeing their point.  And since we have a new day and age of college athletics, we are way past due of conducting a real, authentic, genuine, quality, transparent world wide search for replacements.  I suppose we can debate all day about how well or not JH, EW, BP and DP recruited.  But the Number of times we have made the playoffs since ‘99 is the only stat we need. Recruiting doesn’t mean much when the coaching itself is suspect. Ultimately, and unfortunately, my point is that the entire system here is failing. It’s not exclusively the portal/nil affecting our wins and losses.