Author Topic: SDU week  (Read 2491 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDU week
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2024, 09:58:13 PM »
better effort but still a ways to go, First couple of drives were nice but then they adjusted, and we did not. Our play calling after their fumble was terrible. I would not have taken the points off the board, very rare that points should be taken off.

Giving up a first down when they have 2nd and 30, can't happen. Our guys seemed pumped for the game, we need to cut down on stupid penalties.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Jayguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2024, 10:12:36 PM »
Good effort.  D Improved.  Would like to see them able to hold when the other team is backed up.  Offensively they were ok. just ok.  Need to be able to be able to go deep to spread the d out.  If they can't stretch the field good teams figure us out.  I think that is what happened in the 2 nd half. Brungard is learning however he still misses some open receivers when he is in the pocket.  He seems to do better when scrambling.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2024, 10:19:53 PM »
Kudos to Phillips and the team for showing up.  Have to give them credit for hanging with the competition.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2024, 10:26:25 AM »
Pleasantly surprised!  I am still concerned of any deep threat offense and pass blocking looks atrocious. Not sure about the decision to take points off the board…possibly to take the clock down but he would have massive confidence in the Lastovka which was almost a disaster off the upright.

Go Guins

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2024, 01:43:19 PM »
Phillips just got out coached in 2nd half.  Only chance for a win is the last home game against UNI.  They look awful too.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2024, 03:08:16 PM »
Much better effort for the team. D is making progress.
Can’t seems to make needed adjustments to match SDU’s adjustments, especially in the 2nd half. sDU made the adjustments after our 2tds and our offense was ineffective after that. It was mostly on the coaches.
Go penguins.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2024, 04:06:10 PM »
On kickoff returns YSU has Tyshon King back and he more than likely calls for a fair catch most of the time.  I know he's a strong runner but not a burner.  Why not have Whatley or Gilbert back there.   They seem to be the type that may break one.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2024, 05:29:14 PM »
On kickoff returns YSU has Tyshon King back and he more than likely calls for a fair catch most of the time.  I know he's a strong runner but not a burner.  Why not have Whatley or Gilbert back there.   They seem to be the type that may break one.
Exactly….. that was also the coaches’ decisions….at kickoff return (catching the ball is not as critical as the punt return), we need speed and quickness. King is a good running back, but those are not his attributes. I thought we have a 4.4 RB on the roster….

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2024, 07:09:36 PM »
Tyshon is not having a good year at all.  Wright is better option.  But what do I know.  At this point I would be playing a lot of reserves to get experience.  No chance for the playoffs at all.  But he tends to lean to his top players.  Mind
Boggling

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2024, 08:21:56 AM »
Same old song and dance.  When is enough enough.   I and most of the fans will be waiting for end of year.   Cannot go from playoffs last year to 2 or 3 wins this year.  Enough is enough.  Program is not even in middle of the pack in our league.  Attendance will be the lowest in last 35 years.  Should have not gotten rid of Wolford.

Online Buddy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2024, 09:49:23 AM »
Same old song and dance.  When is enough enough.   I and most of the fans will be waiting for end of year.   Cannot go from playoffs last year to 2 or 3 wins this year.  Enough is enough.  Program is not even in middle of the pack in our league.  Attendance will be the lowest in last 35 years.  Should have not gotten rid of Wolford.

I was ready for this season to be over after the Duquesne game..... 
100% on Wolford.  All he needed was a good defensive coordinator and we would have had a top program.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2024, 10:19:15 AM »

100% on Wolford.  All he needed was a good defensive coordinator and we would have had a top program.

Agree with Wofford needing a DC and he would still be here.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2024, 10:28:11 AM »

Wilford was good in the offensive side of the program. He was able to recruit and pick the QB. His downfall was his refusal to bring in a DC and tried to do this himself. He had signature win against Pitt and a good game against Penn State.
He lost his job because he couldn’t win with poor defense.

On another hand, DP did not have any signature wins or good games against FBS. His defense is worst than Wofford and he is offense is also not as good.He also can’t recognize & utilize good QB.
If we didn’t keep Wilford, how could we justify in retaining DP if he can’t turn around next year?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2024, 02:57:14 PM »
I just watched Phillips post game press conference on youtube. I would say more of the same from the head coach.  One insight is that ONLY 149 viewed or watched what he had to say.  That tells me there is very little interest in what he has to say and the program in general. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2024, 03:35:33 PM »
Agree that Wolford committed "Head Coach Suicide" by his inability to locate and hire a competent dc. His failure was all on him.

I keep thinking about the financial figures presented by UCF last week, and it just makes me more angry. Between Phillips and the coordinators, we are paying out about 500k in salaries. That is about par for the MVFC. How about this plan:

We all know that Tressel was his own oc; Klacik had the title but Tressel ran the offense. Is there any reason why on the FCS level a head coach can not also run the offense or defense? If we can dispose of Phillips, hire an experienced oc or dc, make him the head coach, and pay him 400k. Also hire and pay 200k to the other coordinator. For a mere 100k more in the budget, we then get a highly paid head coach and a coordinator that makes TWICE the salary of any other oc or dc in the MVFC.

For those that say that one man can not be the head coach and a coordinator at the same time, Tressel in his later years at YSU was also the athletic director. It can be done.

We must do something. The status quo will bury this program beyond the ability for resuscitation.