Author Topic: Realistically What Can and Should Be Done!  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Realistically What Can and Should Be Done!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2024, 12:01:09 PM »
Calhoun is a proven Coach with success.  I cant say the same about Phillips.  For instance, Howard who now is the leading tackler at Duke has a head coach who is an elite defensive mind.   Some coaches can get untapped results out of a player.  I think it's pretty obvious YSU has a coaching issue.   We are staring 2-4 wins in the face this year and likely next year.  Sorry, people don't like the truth or don't want to accept whats right in front of their face.

We can’t really compare DP and JC in terms of the coaching experience and accomplishments.
JC was a successful head coach at a championship program (although at a lower division). He has demonstrated his ability to coach the players and the game. He also has the ability to adapt to the changing landscape (Portal and NI). He knows how the game is played and was able to make the necessary adjustments to remain competitive.
I am not sure that I can say the same for DP.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2024, 01:06:40 PM »
Goodnews,the reason I don't dump on Phillips is that he.

1. Had back to back winning seasons and made the playoffs.
2.I felt that Pelini left the program in the dump for Phillips.

I agree that he's the ceo and the buck stops with him.

Phillips said in his first year that it was a process and he was commited to the NDS model of recruiting for example HS linemen or TE and developing them in the weight room so when they're upper classmen they'll be really good.
The problem with that is NIL and transfer portal hit the scene and that takes precedent over his long term model.  He needed to hit homeruns last season in the portal with the exodus especially on defense but he did not so this upcoming portal he needs to be exceptional.   Can he do it ???

I understand yours and the boards frustration and I agree but is the next guy the savior ? 
For me,I have him on a pitch count and that's the 2025 season.

I want to say that I have piled on the defense but I do not take pleasure in beating up on young men who are doing their best.  They have to know that their performance is poor and I'm sure a few are really YSU starter material but as a whole not so.   If that hurts feelings then they're in the wrong place .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 01:08:25 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2024, 01:31:05 PM »

Phillips said in his first year that it was a process and he was commited to the NDS model of recruiting for example HS linemen or TE and developing them in the weight room so when they're upper classmen they'll be really good.
The problem with that is NIL and transfer portal hit the scene and that takes precedent over his long term model.  He needed to hit homeruns last season in the portal with the exodus especially on defense but he did not so this upcoming portal he needs to be exceptional.   Can he do it ???

I understand yours and the boards frustration and I agree but is the next guy the savior ? 

I want to say that I have piled on the defense but I do not take pleasure in beating up on young men who are doing their best.  They have to know that their performance is poor and I'm sure a few are really YSU starter material but as a whole not so.   If that hurts feelings then they're in the wrong place .

good post
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2024, 01:34:15 PM »
From today’s press conference.
As I posted before, it sounds just like all his previous talking points in other press conferences.

What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/JiFuLzuv_mI

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2024, 01:59:04 PM »
From today’s press conference.
As I posted before, it sounds just like all his previous talking points in other press conferences.

What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/JiFuLzuv_mI

It maybe rinse and repeat the next frew press conferences.   He has to remain positive and paint that picture to the press.  What else can he do ?  Go Jim Mora (PLAYOFFS!!!).
Found it interesting when he spoke of South Dakota going 3-8 two years ago and look how good they are now.  I guess he's saying if they can do it then so can YSU by staying with the plan.

Offline Jayguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2024, 02:28:07 PM »

Great post.  I agree.  Really the only thing we can do is support the team by being in the stands.  Imagine how much easier recruiting is when they see the atmosphere on game day with 13000 there when we have a down year.  How many left in the portal after they saw we only had 4k for a playoff game and felt this wasn't the program they were recruited to because of lack of support.  This was a playoff game.  Go guins. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2024, 03:01:48 PM »
Whatever his plan is it is not working at all.   He needs to get with the times because portal is part of the recruiting process just like basketball.    He needs to adapt or resign if he cannot.  Recruiting starts with your own player retention then portal finds then high school or juco.  Am I correct?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2024, 03:04:36 PM »

Great post.  I agree.  Really the only thing we can do is support the team by being in the stands.  Imagine how much easier recruiting is when they see the atmosphere on game day with 13000 there when we have a down year.  How many left in the portal after they saw we only had 4k for a playoff game and felt this wasn't the program they were recruited to because of lack of support.  This was a playoff game.  Go guins.

Some really good points about how and why to support the program, a lot of folks do not get it.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 03:06:29 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2024, 10:52:26 PM »
Whatever his plan is it is not working at all.   He needs to get with the times because portal is part of the recruiting process just like basketball.    He needs to adapt or resign if he cannot.  Recruiting starts with your own player retention then portal finds then high school or juco.  Am I correct?
It’s not that simple though… it’s much easier for basketball teams to use the portal because you’re only playing 5 players at a time and have a team of 15. With football, you’re playing 11 players at a time and a roster size of 63 and up. It’s apples and oranges.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2024, 11:01:04 PM »
Phillips was gaslighting the media room the entire time.  Then when someone asked about the QB he acted like a smug ********. Honestly he sounds like a high school coach who took over a perennial doormat.  If he didn't have Stambaugh Stadium, WATTS and all the facilities under Stanmbaugh I would give him a pass.   I'm sorry he has no excuses as far as I'm concerned.  The issues are his fault including the staff he hired.  We are 2 months away from signing day too.  How do you sell any recruits based on whats currently going on?   He better be selling a few big donors the same song and dance he is to everyone else for NIL money.  Otherwise, you can kiss next away too.

I'll repeat we're in year 5.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 11:03:12 PM by goodnews »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2024, 06:07:23 AM »
Year 5 and he should have the program winning and not in a total rebuild.  Goodness you make good sense.  I completely agree.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2024, 09:07:46 AM »
Well, my disappointments:

1. Defense.. I was hopeful they'd jell. Watching their performance the last 6 games I can only say slow undersized clueless pussies without any direction. The mass exodus last year, I wasn't too concerned with the loss with the exception of 3 or 4 players. Replacing the D coordinator, I also thought it could be a plus.. WRONG!

2. Offense.. that experienced Oline is a huge disappointment. I get it. The QB is weak, but I'm not sure a young Tom Brady would be successful behind it. Run production is a problem with a stacked box, but no protection is provided for passing hell, Valpo pressured the Guins.

3. Coaching.. what can we say here, is this the best money can buy. Who would want to coach in the MVFC conference against UNI, xDSUs, and xDUs.. recruiting here is too competitive, given the xfer portal and NIL in play. If YSU doesn't step it up and get big money for better players, talent this type of team is the norm. DP has the right tools as far as character and mindset, rubbing off the kids but coaching them up to actually play, wowsa!!. We'll see how or if they will use that to build on.

4. Fan base.. has gone away with the 90s glory years. I love the loyal tailgate group I hang with Paul and Tammy are beyond the best ever. POaS and his group are 1st class also. After that, the YSU fan base is clueless armchair QBs, and the student section has no interest at all in what is going on the field and what little shows up. No fans no team.

This will be my last post on YSU Football for a negative reaction. What else is there to say? I've said my piece on what I've witnessed. I'm hopeful that my 6-6 is still obtainable. Will be lucky to be 4-8 now.

GooooooooGuins..

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2024, 05:37:53 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy: it sounds just like all the other previous pregame comments:

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2024/10/penguins-continuing-to-work-through-struggles-adversity/