Author Topic: Realistically What Can and Should Be Done!  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Realistically What Can and Should Be Done!
« on: October 13, 2024, 11:57:28 AM »
For the remainder of this season, we could just keep venting with Fire Phillips and Fire Strollo chants, but we all know that is not going to happen. How about sharing some realistic suggestions for pathways to move out of this mess. I will start with these three ideas.

First, at the conclusion of the season dismiss the dc and all the defensive coaches. Then find the next Jon Heacock, a young, ambitious coach who has proven his ability as a dc at a lower level.  Bring him to Youngstown, pay him the top salary for a FCS dc, and give him nearly complete authority to build a competent defense. That includes huge input in the hiring of position coaches and the ability to purge the roster of all the current players who are clearly in over their heads at this level. Phillips won't like having his authority compromised, but he can always resign. Phillips deserves no say in the construction of a defense after the junk he placed on the field this season.

Second, inform the folks who run the Penguin Collective that all funds for the foreseeable future must be earmarked for football and men's basketball. I am a big supporter of women's sports, but they will have to wait until we move through this crisis.

Third, stop splitting so many scholarships. I don't have the exact figures, but we give out too many partials and hope to "develop" unprepared players. Out of the 63 scholarships, about 50 should be full, given to recruits or transfers that we know can play right now. Then take about 30 walk-ons who would try to earn one of the 13 remaining scholarships each year. We don't need 100 players, with the majority "projects" that will never help us.

What realistic suggestions do you have? Please keep the "fire" rants (appropriate as they are) in a separate thread.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Realistically What Can and Should Be Done!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2024, 12:43:49 PM »
Where's the press release for Phillips extension?  Surely someone has to have the details since its a state contract?  Phillips and the administration thk by having all these kids on the roster will help with enrollment and game attendance.  It may help.with enrollment but surely not attendance.  Why would an AD be ok with this as we become less competitive?   The BS we are a developmental program is another thg that Phillips shouldn't be saying either.  Unless he is including himself. None of what we are doing is working.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2024, 01:03:40 PM »
I think that getting rid of RS is a realistic conversation, the buck stops at the top and his name is on the door. Yea I have been told that he does not have a say on some coaching hires, if so then why is he even there. As for DP, can't afford to keep him and can't afford to get rid of him.

Can agree with most of your First opinion but it may be hard to keep the lines clear between HC and DC. DP would have to buy into it.

Do not agree with your Second opinion at all, why should the women's sports or any other sport for that matter suffer because of the mess football is in.

I can agree with your Third opinion, worth looking into.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2024, 02:39:54 PM »
Doug Phillips did not destroy this program!  NIL did, and we will never be a major player in NIL and keep our best players!  It is just a fact we are one of the have nots! bottom line is we cannot compete in the MVC any longer!  Sad to say!  Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2024, 02:48:24 PM »
Doug Phillips did not destroy this program!  NIL did, and we will never be a major player in NIL and keep our best players!  It is just a fact we are one of the have nots! bottom line is we cannot compete in the MVC any longer!  Sad to say!  Does anyone have any other thoughts?

NIL and the ease to transfer has killed college sports at our level.

Whether it is DP or anyone else, fact is that coaches need to work with and master the new rules.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 04:29:04 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2024, 04:05:48 PM »
We arent even competitive and that is on the COACH.  His recruiting footprint or lack thereof is to blame.  Although he's a big-name dropper he has NO CONNECTIONS.

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2024, 04:39:15 PM »
For the remainder of this season, we could just keep venting with Fire Phillips and Fire Strollo chants, but we all know that is not going to happen. How about sharing some realistic suggestions for pathways to move out of this mess. I will start with these three ideas.

First, at the conclusion of the season dismiss the dc and all the defensive coaches. Then find the next Jon Heacock, a young, ambitious coach who has proven his ability as a dc at a lower level.  Bring him to Youngstown, pay him the top salary for a FCS dc, and give him nearly complete authority to build a competent defense. That includes huge input in the hiring of position coaches and the ability to purge the roster of all the current players who are clearly in over their heads at this level. Phillips won't like having his authority compromised, but he can always resign. Phillips deserves no say in the construction of a defense after the junk he placed on the field this season.

Second, inform the folks who run the Penguin Collective that all funds for the foreseeable future must be earmarked for football and men's basketball. I am a big supporter of women's sports, but they will have to wait until we move through this crisis.

Third, stop splitting so many scholarships. I don't have the exact figures, but we give out too many partials and hope to "develop" unprepared players. Out of the 63 scholarships, about 50 should be full, given to recruits or transfers that we know can play right now. Then take about 30 walk-ons who would try to earn one of the 13 remaining scholarships each year. We don't need 100 players, with the majority "projects" that will never help us.

What realistic suggestions do you have? Please keep the "fire" rants (appropriate as they are) in a separate thread.

Fact check: of the ~550 student-athletes at YSU, only about 50-60 are on full scholarship.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2024, 05:24:15 PM »

Fact check: of the ~550 student-athletes at YSU, only about 50-60 are on full scholarship.

And that is the problem. We have access to 63 football scholarships. USE THEM. Stop giving partial rides to individuals who are nothing more than practice tackling dummies.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2024, 05:27:32 PM »
Basically YSU is attempting to play D1 sports with a D2 budget. Clearly not working.

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2024, 05:43:43 PM »

And that is the problem. We have access to 63 football scholarships. USE THEM. Stop giving partial rides to individuals who are nothing more than practice tackling dummies.

But again, just because we have 63 doesn’t mean they’re full ride scholarships… because they’re all not.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2024, 06:54:04 PM »
Transfer portal.   Phillips has to hit several home runs especially on defense.  Are there guys at smaller schools that can help?  Are there backups at bigger schools that want playing time ?   If he depends on hs recruits then it will take 3 years at least until they see the field.   He has to emulate what the basketball team has done the last 3 years.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2024, 08:35:45 PM »
Unless we get some mega donor that pumps millions into NIL we will remain where we are as a stepping stone. Last years exodus of the defense was the sign. It’s a shame what happened last year. Nobody is getting fired except anyone DP feels is not doing their job. What I would like to see is some player on the sidelines start ripping into these players. There is no life or passion out there. Unfortunately we will be 2-10 this year.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline PeteGuinYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2024, 10:40:07 AM »

Wanted to clarify the comment made about informing the Penguin Collective to direct all funds to Football & Men's Basketball.  A donation to the Penguin Collective is no different than a donation made to the Athletic Department, Penguin Club or YSU Foundation.  The person making the donation specifies where they want their donation to go. 

2024 Penguin Collective NIL contributions designated for football total a little under $190,000.   MBB NIL contributions are a little over $330,000.

Totally agree with comments on splitting scholarships.  More full scholarships will help bring & retain the players.  DP needs to try something different as the on-field results speak for themselves. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2024, 12:19:29 PM »
Phillips' Coaching Career

1989 - Sylvania Northview High School - Assistant Coach
1990 - Toledo St. Francis DeSales - Assistant Coach
1991-92: Youngstown State - Graduate Assistant
1993 - Struthers High School - Assistant Coach
1994 - Springfield Local High School - Assistant Coach
1997-2000: Springfield Local High School - Head Coach
2001-05: Salem HS - Head Coach
2006: Ohio State - Quality Control (Defense)
2007-08: Bowling Green - DE/Recruiting Coordinator
2016: Iowa State - Director of Player Personnel
2017: Cincinnati - Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2018-19: Cincinnati - Running Backs
2020-Present: Youngstown State - Head Coach

Does anyone see experience that will ever make Doug Phillips a successful Head Coach?  Don't forget we're now in year 5.  Not to mention he no longer has the former university president to close the recruits which I'm sure he helped more then we know. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2024, 12:23:43 PM by goodnews »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2024, 01:59:01 PM »
Phillips' Coaching Career

1989 - Sylvania Northview High School - Assistant Coach
1990 - Toledo St. Francis DeSales - Assistant Coach
1991-92: Youngstown State - Graduate Assistant
1993 - Struthers High School - Assistant Coach
1994 - Springfield Local High School - Assistant Coach
1997-2000: Springfield Local High School - Head Coach
2001-05: Salem HS - Head Coach
2006: Ohio State - Quality Control (Defense)
2007-08: Bowling Green - DE/Recruiting Coordinator
2016: Iowa State - Director of Player Personnel
2017: Cincinnati - Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2018-19: Cincinnati - Running Backs
2020-Present: Youngstown State - Head Coach

Does anyone see experience that will ever make Doug Phillips a successful Head Coach?  Don't forget we're now in year 5.  Not to mention he no longer has the former university president to close the recruits which I'm sure he helped more then we know.

Based on your information, he only coached in college for 4 years (2 @ BGSU & 2 @ UC). He was neither DC nor OC at any college levels. That experience really did not prepare him to be HC @ D1.
If you listen to his post game comments, they all sounded the same.
I don’t think he has able to select or retain assistant coaches (either lack of funds or judgements). He just cannot win with them. I am not calling for him to resign. I am just saying we get what pay for.