Author Topic: Valeo week  (Read 1441 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Valeo week
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2024, 05:38:54 PM »
Maybe I should not feel too bad about our program with St Francis taking down Kent State.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2024, 06:37:03 PM »
What it tells you is that there arent enough high school players to support Kent, Akron and YSU.  Therefore, you have to recruit outside of NEO.   The BS of the 1990s "State of Youngstown" is looooong gone!!!!!!  Bottom line is that this program never grew.  Many bad hires, many bad extensions and the list goes on.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2024, 06:50:39 PM »
We are depressed after that performance today. But at least we are not Michigan or Notre Dame fans. 8)

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2024, 07:41:09 PM »
Thoughts after attending game. Defense is terrible against both the run and pass.  Beau is a tough guy, good runner but lacks the arm strength to play at this level.  Had a guy wide open about 40 yards down field and could not get the ball to him.  You do not have to have a 70 yard arm but you do need a 40 yard arm which he doesn’t have. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2024, 08:07:23 PM »
was at the game and the crowd was disappointing, just do not understand the excuse about who we were playing, I was there to see YSU.

Nice 1st qtr but that 2nd qtr not so pretty D and O.

Their freshman qb caused some issues in the 2nd and made things more interesting than it should have been, but we had him figured out in the second half.

Thought that we made some nice adjustments at half and played a good second half D and O.

Do not recall that we turned the ball over.

BB did ok passing but his running was huge.

Thought that we really did not control the line until the 4th.

Still have a ways to go but a nice win.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2024, 09:47:01 PM »
A running QB that can't go through his progressions is a sitting duck in the MVFC. We tried this already and it doesn't work.  He looks great when the coach is trying to run up the score to save face against a non scholarship weenie.  No disrespect to any of the players as the staff recruited them to play.  The coaching staff is responsible for the current condition of the program.   We're years away if ever again. I hope they prove me wrong but I have serious doubts.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2024, 10:40:43 PM »
Defense sucks but we found a way to win big and came up big after the Disaster of a second quarter meltdown.. Defense only gave up 3 points in second half.  Putting up 59 points is not too shabby.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2024, 10:42:35 PM »
Because of the portal d1 sports is closer than you think. Lots of talent out there.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2024, 10:36:45 AM »
Thoughts after attending game. Defense is terrible against both the run and pass.  Beau is a tough guy, good runner but lacks the arm strength to play at this level.  Had a guy wide open about 40 yards down field and could not get the ball to him.  You do not have to have a 70 yard arm but you do need a 40 yard arm which he doesn’t have.

Agreed. We knew this was going to be the scenario. Tough opener and our weaknesses were exposed. Defense is all new and a new coordinator. Offense is one dimensional which we also knew was going to be the issue if BB is qb. We will need to continue to get better on defense the next two weeks. I don’t expect a win at Pitt but we need to see some improvement and good plays now and then in order to see an improvement. If we can’t throw 40 yards and not push the dbacks deeper we will be in for a long year.

Go Guins.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2024, 12:44:17 PM »
A running QB that can't go through his progressions is a sitting duck in the MVFC. We tried this already and it doesn't work.  He looks great when the coach is trying to run up the score to save face against a non scholarship weenie.  No disrespect to any of the players as the staff recruited them to play.  The coaching staff is responsible for the current condition of the program.   We're years away if ever again. I hope they prove me wrong but I have serious doubts.
Agree.
It was mentioned that BB was 1 yard short of the running yards in a game record by an YSU qb. That was Crenshaw. How did that work out for us?

The past qbs, Kurt H., Hunter W. & Mitch D. could all make deep throws. They were relatively successful because it open up the short passing and running game (including the runs by qb).
Crenshaw and BB have had the issue which was their love or priority in running (either by choice or by coaching). They didn’t go through the progression to find receivers. That will not work against good teams in MVFC.
If we don’t try to make an attempt throwing some deep passes, we will not be able to complete short passes to TE or RB let alone trying do the qb runs.
I hope I am wrong.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2024, 01:33:20 PM »
Bad loss for quins....?.
What?  We won, you're kidding? I was sure we lost reading this.  For those of you new to YSU football, the D last year was awful. 10 new starters. It will take a while to get good.   
I don't get the coaching critics at all? Timeouts? Game plans?  You've lost me.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2024, 07:26:59 PM »
One thing I agree with is you need a strong passing qb before you need a strong running qb. As said before most of our good teams over the years had a strong passing qb, not a strong running qb. I recall Hunter Wells was a forgotten man and didn't even travel to some away games. When inserted as the starter things really went well and we made it to the national championship game. All coaches want the total package of the running qb that can throw well. Hard to find at least at our level.

In our current situation I think we have a qb that is a great runner and a true team player doing all that he can to lead our team. If he can make the deep throws or even shorter ones with zip on the ball is the question. So far it hasn't shown. I sure hope he can do it. If not we need to find a throwing qb even if he can't be a strong runner.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2024, 08:48:34 PM »
A few things about the game.  We put up 59 points and UNI put up just 35.  Now UNI had a better defense than us so that is why they scored 25 on us.  Our running game is solid ad long as we give #2 the ball more than King.  Much better back.  Passing game needs work.  Remember Villanova only scored 27 on us.  We had a shot a forcing OT in that game. Yes we need to pass more.  Duquesne will tell us alot about our progression. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2024, 09:43:44 PM »
It is too early to condemn Brungard as an ineffective passer. For those out-of-towners that watched the game, the wind was brutal. Yesterday was no true test for any quarterback throwing deep balls. And Brungard's last td pass to the side of the end zone was very well thrown. For league games I am still more concerned about his lack of height than his arm strength.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2024, 09:46:40 PM »
A few things about the game.  We put up 59 points and UNI put up just 35.  Now UNI had a better defense than us so that is why they scored 25 on us.  Our running game is solid ad long as we give #2 the ball more than King.  Much better back.  Passing game needs work.  Remember Villanova only scored 27 on us.  We had a shot a forcing OT in that game. Yes we need to pass more.  Duquesne will tell us alot about our progression.

Agree and Duquesne will be looking at us as a break in their schedule. Toledo then Boston College and being out scored 105 to 10. I agree it will tell us something
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne