Author Topic: preseason YSU football ranking  (Read 752 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: preseason YSU football ranking
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2024, 08:15:19 AM »
Comments by coach on the program during conference media day interview

https://youtu.be/CgaCgo6-rLg?feature=shared

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2024, 02:15:27 PM »
Personally, I think the barometer for the year is the season opener at Villanova. If we win that game, I am going to be very optimistic. I personally am worried for that game, I think that game will be a tougher game than the Pitt game in terms of odds of winning. Before anyone hits me with their pitchfork, I am not saying that Pitt will be an easy game, but ironically the FBS game is, IMHO, NOT the toughest OOC game on our schedule. The Jackrabbits Illustrated crew gave us within a 1% difference in odds to win either game (with Pitt being just 1% less likely than the Nova game), both were in the 34-35% and change range.

I am excited by coach philips comments though, he is very enthusiastic and one thing that will be a strength this year should be offensive line, so that bodes well for breaking in a new QB.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2024, 05:02:37 PM »
Coach sounded very positive.  Not sure if he has an alternative but it's year 5 for Phillips and there is no room for excuses as there was when he took over for Pelini.   I'm concerned about all the guys on defense that transferred and most when to a higher conference which leads to ask did the transfer portal make up for those defenders that left ?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2024, 11:44:18 PM »
Coach sounded very positive.  Not sure if he has an alternative but it's year 5 for Phillips and there is no room for excuses as there was when he took over for Pelini.   I'm concerned about all the guys on defense that transferred and most when to a higher conference which leads to ask did the transfer portal make up for those defenders that left ?

We did pick up quite a few new defenders from the portal.  They came from P4, G5, and DII programs. I thought that our defense stunk last year, except for the home game against Southern Illinois and, ironically, the game in Columbus. Hard to see how the new guys could be much worse, and they might actually be considerably better.

I did not see the spring game, but some suggested that the hitting was good and that our defensive backs were actually guarding the receivers. What a refreshing change that would be.

Offline InTheYo

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:04:17 AM »

We did pick up quite a few new defenders from the portal.  They came from P4, G5, and DII programs. I thought that our defense stunk last year, except for the home game against Southern Illinois and, ironically, the game in Columbus. Hard to see how the new guys could be much worse, and they might actually be considerably better.

I did not see the spring game, but some suggested that the hitting was good and that our defensive backs were actually guarding the receivers. What a refreshing change that would be.
Agree with you here. With the mass defections (players and DC) from a defense that was statistically weak, I am eager to see what this revamped defense with a lot of new talent via the portal can bring. They did look better in the spring game, especially against the pass.