Author Topic: preseason YSU football ranking  (Read 716 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
preseason YSU football ranking
« on: July 22, 2024, 05:04:55 PM »
ST. LOUIS (WKBN) — The Youngstown State University Football team is ranked No. 7 out of 11 teams in the 2024 Missouri Valley Football Conference Preseason poll released Monday.

Defending Missouri Valley Football Conference and national champion South Dakota State received 42 of a possible 44 first-place votes and 482 total points to outdistance North Dakota State, which earned 437 points, in the 2024 MVFC preseason poll. 

2024 Missouri Valley Football Conference Preseason poll
1. South Dakota State
2. North Dakota State
3. South Dakota
4. Southern Illinois
5. North Dakota
6. Illinois State
7. Youngstown State
8. Northern Iowa
9. Missouri State
10. Indiana State
11. Murray State
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: preseason YSU football ranking
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 10:48:11 PM »
Wow.  7th place we get no respect.   I guess a lack of a QB is the reason.  Plus all the transfers out of our program.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 10:56:38 PM »
Conference is loaded for next year.  Ysu included other than QB position.  Thoughts?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 11:04:22 PM »
The first 8 teams on that list are all legitimate top twenty FCS programs. It is certainly strange to see Northern Iowa ranked that low. Also South Dakota and North Dakota are way too high. Neither of those programs can win league games on the road (just like us.)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 08:11:08 AM »
S Dakota won at NDSU and SIU last year by the way
North Dakota not so good.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 09:29:38 AM »
Hate to see that is what others think of our program, but I get it. I do feel that we are getting better ever so slowly. Yea it is ancient history now but we were there at one time, and we allowed the decline.

Have been watching the play-off games from the 90's over the last couple of weeks, we were so good, so fun to watch. Again that was a long time ago, but it still bothers me that while we were not able to maintain 4 of the teams above us were D2 in the 90s. They not only moved up but passed us up. So many of the teams we were playing have moved up.

Waiting for my season tickets.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2024, 10:39:07 AM »
YSU has a good chance with the talent on the team this year to outperform this preseason forecast.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2024, 11:21:25 AM »
Two things:

1. Davidson really played well last year, so he will be missed.
2. DI college ball is just like the NFL now. They had to fill a need, so they simply put all the passing/receiving duties on the receivers. All QB's have to do now is get the ball within a couple of feet of the WR; then the receiver fights for the ball. I bet there are not 10 QB's in the division that can "hit a player between the numbers", beyond 10-yards out. This system simply makes poor QB's look good.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 11:22:13 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2024, 09:50:19 PM »
I think the pre season poll is spot on.  If we can get lucky with QB play and play halfway decent defense we can finish in top 5.  Staying healthy as well.  SDSU AND PITT definitely a loss and possibly Villanova on the road.  We probably need to go 8-4 to be considered.   Thoughts??

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2024, 10:23:05 PM »
The fact is we are now in the bottom half of the conference.  If we make it to 5 th we've beaten NO one.   Its been years since this program won a game they shouldn't. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2024, 11:30:31 PM »
This is the hardest schedule in the history of the school. We will be in the top five nationally in SOS. We won't be favored in any of our six road games. If Phillips can go 7-5, it will be his best coaching to date. And 7-5 will mean three wins against ranked teams (not counting the two weak non-conference home opponents, Indiana State, and Missouri State, who might or might not be good.)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2024, 12:33:36 AM »
If we aren't 4-2 its likely a .500 season or worse

Online InTheYo

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2024, 07:20:40 AM »
To me the key to this season is the QB play. Interestingly, I do think the defense will be better than last year (can it get any worse) with all the defections, a new DC, and new talent brought in via the portal. The glimpses of what I saw in spring give me some hope on that side of the ball.

So can our offense put up similar numbers to last year's squad? I have my doubts currently, but we do have a lot of talent returning on the OL, WR, and have a damn good RB duo of King/Wright. We just need a QB that can throw around the field or the defenses in our league will load up the box, like the Crenshaw days, and we will struggle come league play.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2024, 10:17:20 AM »
If we aren't 4-2 its likely a .500 season or worse

Agreed. The conference opener on the road at Missouri State will define our entire season.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
We are probably looking at 5-7 this year.  2-2 going into league play.