Author Topic: MBB Non-Conference Schedule  (Read 3985 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB Non-Conference Schedule
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2024, 09:05:35 PM »
Im sure they did the best they could.  There is no way with all the conference realignments the last few years that there were lots of open dates on schedules.  Like I said we are better collecting checks until things settle down.   We need all the money we can get in the coffers. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2024, 10:52:14 PM »
From what I hear we are playing 2 non D1 schools next season in Bethany and Westminster.   And as of now no d1 home games vs non conference opponents.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2024, 10:25:43 PM »
Any updates on Home non conference games.  I hear only Two Non D1 schools at home and 10 conference games. Be a shame if we cannot attact quality opponents in our newly r Remodeled Beeghly.   Be a shame if all we get are two non D1 games.  If anyone has any info please pass it along.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2024, 09:44:55 AM »
The idea that relevant D1 programs are coming to Beeghly is a pipe dream.  The facility is getting a badly needed face-lift.  Thank you to the donors and the previous coaching staff for getting done what the athletic department couldn't.  The landscape of college sports is nothing more then a money grab at this point!  The coaches and administration know whats going on.  Colleges are closing and money is drying up for both academics and athletics.  As a result,, doors are closing all over the country.  Kudos to the administration for navigating YSU through these rough waters so far. 

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2024, 02:03:52 PM »
The idea that relevant D1 programs are coming to Beeghly is a pipe dream.  The facility is getting a badly needed face-lift.  Thank you to the donors and the previous coaching staff for getting done what the athletic department couldn't.  The landscape of college sports is nothing more then a money grab at this point!  The coaches and administration know whats going on.  Colleges are closing and money is drying up for both academics and athletics.  As a result,, doors are closing all over the country.  Kudos to the administration for navigating YSU through these rough waters so far.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what major colleges/universities have closed their doors?

Don't say Notre Dame College because their undergraduate enrollment was 1,376. And don't say Eastern Gateway because they were a community college and horribly run.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2024, 03:49:55 PM »
Maybe I should've clarified my thoughts.  Yes, schools have closed that are much smaller then YSU.  I just think that there is a very good possibility that academia in states like Ohio and PA r gonna be in trouble. The enrollment in schools in the rust belt are down.  Although D2 the PSAC already merged 6 schools to 2.  Ohio leads all states in enrollment decline in higher education.  CSU has tough decisions regarding its future. The question is where does YSU continue to get funds to be.competive in academics and athletics?  Fortunately
YSU has a nice size endowment  Anyway, if u think big schools don't have problems think again.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2024, 04:45:32 PM »
What does this have to do with home games against d1 schools .    What does this nonsense about schools merging  have to do with quality HOME GAMES AGAINS D1 SCHOOLS.  Makes no sense to me. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2024, 06:38:53 PM »
Let me give you and the rest of the board a quick finance class and reality check. No one wants to come to Beeghly to play a game.  Further more it makes NO sense to financially to pay a visiting team $50,000+ for a home game.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2024, 07:23:17 AM »
Money is the issue and not schools closing or combining.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2024, 11:30:57 AM »
Isn't it always about money?  Why do you think Strollo is clarifying that the renovations to Beeghly is from private donors? The fallout from the academic community would be catastrophic. Just so you know I bet Westminster and Bethany are each getting paid $20-$25k to play at Beeghly.  The $90k pay days at OSU and Syracuse go quick when you have to travel an entire season.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2024, 10:32:41 PM »
There are not major financial resources issues at YSU that cannot be managed by competent planning, nor is there a problem with teams coming to Beeghley to play the Penguins.  These concerns are matters of outsized fan base expectations.   

YSU has the same apprehensions regarding financial assets as any other collegiate institution, or any individual for that matter.  There is never enough to go around.  As resources expand, programs expand to encompass them.  How long has it been since a poster heard another institution or person remark that it, he, or she has all the resources needed, and assets are no longer an issue in life?  YSU is in a better position than neighbors Canisius, Niagara, Binghamton, St. Francis, and many schools in the MAC.  YSU's stipend from the State of Ohio alleviates a number of financial pressures.  Imagine what the private schools are experiencing.  Additionally, YSU had a thriving basketball program over the past two years.  Attendance is in the upper half of mid-majors and may be higher.  Road “buy” games yield a premium.  This contributes to the bottom line.  Most importantly, YSU directors and executives understand who and what we are.  We are a medium sized state institution with regional appeal.  Nothing more.  Administration does not attempt to become something the school was not intended to be or equipped to be.  Resources are not endless.  Neither are they driven by fan base expectations.  The school spends accordingly.  This is not the case with a number of MAC colleges in Ohio and Michigan.

Home game scheduling may not be quite as bad as represented on the board.  First off, the game against Western Michigan this season is at home.  The Penguins played at Kalamazoo last year.  They would not play there two years in a row.  Next, the teams mentioned above, i.e.  Canisius, Niagara, Binghamton, St. Francis, the directional Michigans, and for that matter all MAC schools, must schedule non-conference games, too.  They are in the same position as the Penguins.  It is difficult to imagine any of them would not want a home and home with YSU, with the exceptions of Akron and Kent State.  You could probably add Valparaiso, UIC, Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State, Bellarmine, Tennessee Tech, St. Peter’s, American University and a host of others to the list off colleges comparable to YSU who would be willing to play us home and home.  Colleges with more of a national reputation would present more difficult scheduling scenarios.  YSU is likely paying Westminster around $2,500 for a home game.  How much does it cost to rent a bus and a driver for a twenty-minute trip?  Bethany may require a bit more as they would have a longer journey.  It is likely both teams are pleased merely to be on the schedule of a Division I school. 

YSU is operated in a responsible manner financially.  It is not driven by expectations.  The Athletic Department follows suit, although it performs the more important matters better than some of the smaller, public facing tasks.           

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2024, 07:34:56 AM »
Chezmustache,are you trying to say Duke is not coming to Beeghly : ;D.

I think you're actually using too much commonsense  and actual real data for us "we want it all now" crowd. 

Reality and truth is such a burden on false narratives. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2024, 08:57:41 AM »
According to the latest W Michigan was supposed to be a home game but I believe moved to W Michigan for whatever reason.  It was announced at the curbstone coaches back I may by coach Faulkner as a home game along with Toledo but I think it all changed since then.   Now we only have 2 home non conference games as far I hear.  Both non D1.   From what I been hearing and reading.  Just saying

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2024, 12:01:23 PM »
Clearly, there is more $$$$ to the story.  Last year we lost home opponents too.  Regardless of the sport home games are expensive. We are now paying Valeo, Butler, RMU, St Francis and Mercyhurst anywhere from $100,000-$125,000 for a home football game. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2024, 07:42:29 PM »
Any idea when the 24-25 Men's schedule will be released?  Mid August already.