Author Topic: NDSU TO MOUNTAIN WEST?  (Read 3664 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NDSU TO MOUNTAIN WEST?
« on: April 11, 2024, 08:01:18 PM »
Friend of mine said it was announced today but could not find anything on this potential move  to the FBS.  Does anyone know if it is a true story.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: NDSU TO MOUNTAIN WEST?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 06:17:52 AM »
I thought that the mountain west was going away?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 07:47:07 AM »
I believe the two remaining Pac 12 schools have joined the league.  Washington state and Oregon state  I believe.  Not sure whether the league plans to disband or not. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 02:50:47 PM »
I would look for several MVFC/Big Sky teams to make a possible move to the Mountain West with today's re-alignment.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 07:03:27 PM »
With four Mountain West schools now going to the revamped PAC 12, it would seem to make sense athletically that the Mountain West backfill by adding NDSU, SDSU, Montana, and Montana State. The question becomes what kind of tv deal does the Mountain West now have, and how that deal will be impacted by the defection of its four highest profile teams. If tv is the most important criterion, the Montana and Dakota schools, good as they are on the field, are next to worthless with their very small tv market populations. Sacramento State and Portland State would be more attractive options. I fear that we are stuck with the Dakotas forever.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 08:20:12 PM »
With four Mountain West schools now going to the revamped PAC 12, it would seem to make sense athletically that the Mountain West backfill by adding NDSU, SDSU, Montana, and Montana State. The question becomes what kind of tv deal does the Mountain West now have, and how that deal will be impacted by the defection of its four highest profile teams. If tv is the most important criterion, the Montana and Dakota schools, good as they are on the field, are next to worthless with their very small tv market populations. Sacramento State and Portland State would be more attractive options. I fear that we are stuck with the Dakotas forever.

I agree with your logic but just think the hit FCS would take if the Montana and Dakota schools would leave.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 11:38:52 PM »

I agree with your logic but just think the hit FCS would take if the Montana and Dakota schools would leave.

You might be right, but I wonder if the departure of the Dakota and Montana schools would harm or actually save FCS. These are the primary universities in their states. They are well-funded by state governments, and their business communities will saturate them with NIL money once they learn how to work the system. Few if any other FCS schools can accumulate that many resources. I expect the gap between these four programs and everybody else will actually increase in the coming years. On the other hand, if they left, FCS would become wide open and much more interesting. This is really idle speculation on my part because I really don't feel that any FBS conference wants them, for the reasons I stated in my post.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2024, 10:21:06 AM »
lol. This article was written in April 2024 with a disclaimer directly below the heading that says this article is satirical and part of April fools joke.