YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League Coaches/Portal

<< < (15/19) > >>

33Y0:

--- Quote from: mudclods on March 27, 2024, 12:22:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 27, 2024, 12:18:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: goodnews on March 26, 2024, 10:21:03 PM ---Although things have improved YSU is one of the all-time worst mens programs in D1 the last 30+ years.  The players the last two years came here for a pay day.  How sustainable is that moving forward?

--- End quote ---

That is the correct question and YSU and the 350 other D1 schools are dealing with the same problem but obviously an OSU has different issues than a low mid major like the Horizon league teams.

The sustainability factor is how much can you afford to pay.  Unless the NCAA has any power anymore then it's going to get ugly and shady and like mud said we'll be cheering for the shirt since the body in the shirt is going to be different every season.  Looks like the days of a Kendrick Perry or a Cameron Morse playing 4 years at YSU are history.
I think the coaches see it and are adjusting but not sure the fan bases are.  Some of the old time coaches like Nick Saban don't want to deal with the madness.  Then again old Nick Had no problem jumping several times to the highest bidder himself.
Not sure I can be mad when another team pulls a guy like DJ Burns who we ourselves pulled from a previous team.

--- End quote ---

Yes it's tough to get accustomed for fans, coaches, etc., but unfortunately I don't see anything changing because as you said the NCAA seems to have lost its power.

I just saw this interesting tweet that Scott Nagy from Wright St may be in line for the SIU job https://x.com/CbbCoachRumors/status/1773019237428117582?s=20

--- End quote ---

That would be... interesting. Why leave Wright State for SIU? Granted, I'm kind of saying the same about Calhoun. Why leave YSU for SIU? Both cases are strange to me.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: 33Y0 on March 27, 2024, 01:48:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: mudclods on March 27, 2024, 12:22:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 27, 2024, 12:18:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: goodnews on March 26, 2024, 10:21:03 PM ---Although things have improved YSU is one of the all-time worst mens programs in D1 the last 30+ years.  The players the last two years came here for a pay day.  How sustainable is that moving forward?

--- End quote ---

That is the correct question and YSU and the 350 other D1 schools are dealing with the same problem but obviously an OSU has different issues than a low mid major like the Horizon league teams.

The sustainability factor is how much can you afford to pay.  Unless the NCAA has any power anymore then it's going to get ugly and shady and like mud said we'll be cheering for the shirt since the body in the shirt is going to be different every season.  Looks like the days of a Kendrick Perry or a Cameron Morse playing 4 years at YSU are history.
I think the coaches see it and are adjusting but not sure the fan bases are.  Some of the old time coaches like Nick Saban don't want to deal with the madness.  Then again old Nick Had no problem jumping several times to the highest bidder himself.
Not sure I can be mad when another team pulls a guy like DJ Burns who we ourselves pulled from a previous team.

--- End quote ---

Yes it's tough to get accustomed for fans, coaches, etc., but unfortunately I don't see anything changing because as you said the NCAA seems to have lost its power.

I just saw this interesting tweet that Scott Nagy from Wright St may be in line for the SIU job https://x.com/CbbCoachRumors/status/1773019237428117582?s=20

--- End quote ---

That would be... interesting. Why leave Wright State for SIU? Granted, I'm kind of saying the same about Calhoun. Why leave YSU for SIU? Both cases are strange to me.

--- End quote ---

Very strange and even more puzzling is Scott Nagy is making a base salary of $500,000 a year, which is even more than the president of Wright St. and well more than any coach in the HL.

guinpen:
I like having a little coin in my pocket as much as the next guy but this obsession with money the players, coaches and just people in general have, is out of control.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: guinpen on March 27, 2024, 02:20:37 PM ---I like having a little coin in my pocket as much as the next guy but this obsession with money the players, coaches and just people in general have, is out of control.

--- End quote ---

Agree! I'll never deny someone that it's their right to make money, but as you said this obsession to bounce around with zero loyalty and uprooting families and lives.  It's hard to blame the players when the coaches are just as bad.  Speaking of such it's so refreshing to see what Greg Kampe has done at Oakland.

mudclods:
So John Lovelace is going to Milwaukee, ehh https://twitter.com/ACNY2LA/status/1773163958611870198?t=KCUbaQblmio3AKCWPkbe3g&s=19

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version