YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League Coaches/Portal

<< < (10/19) > >>

Double ET:
Comparing to the parallel with the MLB or other professional sports, there are other mechanisms in play to avoid the run away freight trains ( mechanisms such as revenue sharing, salary cap, drafting system…..etc.)

NCAA is trying to accomplish the same goal without these governing mechanisms.
The mid and lower majors are like minor league teams. With the major league teams power 5) paying big $$$ to attract all the top players, it is difficult to compete.

Something will have to be done, otherwise, I am afraid it will eventually destroy college sport as we know it today. More restrictive transfer rule might have be implemented in combination with contractual agreements between players and schools might be needed.

Wick250:
Nothing could have preserved the tradition of college sports. The insatiable greed of the power conference schools has destroyed the experience for 90% of NCAA institutions. They want all the money and exposure. They want all the spots in post-season tournaments, even the NIT which used to be a worthy prize for mid-majors.

Historically, the NCAA did try to shield the majority of the membership from the greed of the bigs. From the early 1950s until the early 1980s, the NCAA retained a monopoly over the telecasting of football. To protect the gates of all member institutions, the NCAA restricted any school...Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc... from appearing on national television more than 3 times in a two year period. The NCAA also distributed the proceeds of the tv contract that it controlled widely among the membership.

That all changed as cable tv injected millions, then billions, into college sports. The University of Georgia sued the NCAA and won back control of its athletic television rights. Soon big time conferences then made deals with the networks with no restrictions on the number of appearances. Notre Dame struck their own deal with NBC. And for 90% of NCAA institutions, no distribution of proceeds and big time games saturating the tv dial on Saturdays, snuffing out attendance.

For the last four decades the NCAA could at least control academic standards and player movement. Now that is also gone. The NCAA no longer has any real authority, as it loses in court every time it tries to interfere with the greedy aspirations of the bigs. It could not even stop Tennessee from using NIL money to lure recruits.

For YSU fans, and those of 90% of the nation's colleges, you now have a choice. As Mudclods noted, just cheer for the YSU shirt and don't worry about the individual who happens to be wearing it (however briefly.) Or just walk away from this corrupt system. For me I will just support the YSU shirt and intensify my hatred for each and all big time greed machines.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on March 20, 2024, 05:55:24 PM ---Nothing could have preserved the tradition of college sports. The insatiable greed of the power conference schools has destroyed the experience for 90% of NCAA institutions. They want all the money and exposure. They want all the spots in post-season tournaments, even the NIT which used to be a worthy prize for mid-majors.

Historically, the NCAA did try to shield the majority of the membership from the greed of the bigs. From the early 1950s until the early 1980s, the NCAA retained a monopoly over the telecasting of football. To protect the gates of all member institutions, the NCAA restricted any school...Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc... from appearing on national television more than 3 times in a two year period. The NCAA also distributed the proceeds of the tv contract that it controlled widely among the membership.

That all changed as cable tv injected millions, then billions, into college sports. The University of Georgia sued the NCAA and won back control of its athletic television rights. Soon big time conferences then made deals with the networks with no restrictions on the number of appearances. Notre Dame struck their own deal with NBC. And for 90% of NCAA institutions, no distribution of proceeds and big time games saturating the tv dial on Saturdays, snuffing out attendance.

For the last four decades the NCAA could at least control academic standards and player movement. Now that is also gone. The NCAA no longer has any real authority, as it loses in court every time it tries to interfere with the greedy aspirations of the bigs. It could not even stop Tennessee from using NIL money to lure recruits.

For YSU fans, and those of 90% of the nation's colleges, you now have a choice. As Mudclods noted, just cheer for the YSU shirt and don't worry about the individual who happens to be wearing it (however briefly.) Or just walk away from this corrupt system. For me I will just support the YSU shirt and intensify my hatred for each and all big time greed machines.

--- End quote ---

Excellent post. 

I do believe Coach Calhoun has embraced the changes and done a good job at fielding winning teams, but is that as far as it goes with post-season tourneys now becoming unlikely unless YSU can somehow win the tourney?  And I do wonder how much longer he'll be at YSU.  The WVU job is open and the Duquesne job will be too.  I feel like the Beeghly renovations and a spot in the NCAA tourney are things he wants to accomplish at YSU, but money talks.

Double ET:
Believe it or not, Oakland U. Just took down Kentucky.

Penquin68:
80 - 76! Greg Campi is a great coach. Beat us in the last 5 seconds with a bit of a trick play. He out coaches a lot of coaches. Just show our league was pretty good this year as was YSU.  And 3 pointers are what can win big games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version