YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League Coaches/Portal

<< < (7/19) > >>

Double ET:

--- Quote from: guinpen on March 19, 2024, 02:14:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: mudclods on March 19, 2024, 12:32:40 PM ---So DJ Burns has another year of eligibility!? https://twitter.com/underratedd__/status/1770104649544012062

--- End quote ---

so is he staying or going

--- End quote ---
Looks like he is entering the portal and the draft simultaneously. He implies he could go to another school with his additional eligibility if he is not drafted.

Personally, I wish him luck. At 6’6”, chance of becoming a dominant rebounder in NBA is virtually slim and none. He probably could continue his game oversea.

mudclods:
I didn't think DJ had another year of eligibility, at least that's what we were made to believe.  Looking back at his career stats, he only played in 6 games (started 4) during the 2020-2021 COVID season.  Not sure if he was injured or what.  So maybe it was a deal like Garrett Covington getting a 6th year.  It's just odd it was assumed and basically talked about that this was it for him. 

We're basically to the point where if a school gets 2 years out of a player that's a lot. 

guinpen:
I guess that even if he is in the portal he can always stay if he changes his mind. Either way I wish him the best

mudclods:

--- Quote from: guinpen on March 19, 2024, 02:56:15 PM ---I guess that even if he is in the portal he can always stay if he changes his mind. Either way I wish him the best

--- End quote ---

True, that is what Garrett Covington did for his 6th year, but he was a YSU lifer.

ucfpengbuck:
Didn't know he had another year.  It's bothersome that he's not electing to stay so I guess he's looking at his options and I can't blame him.  He can go pro over seas and get paid or with his rebounding ability he can go to a high major and receive a better NIL compensation than YSU could pay.
It's a new reality in college basketball and we all need to get used to any decent player that develops at YSU will look to the open market when the season concludes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version