YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League Coaches/Portal

<< < (5/19) > >>

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: mudclods on March 18, 2024, 02:05:19 PM ---John Lovelace has entered the portal.  Disappointed, but can't say I'm 100%.  Seemed like his mins and production dipped the second half of the season

--- End quote ---

Hate to see a guy who was brought in out of HS leave the program.   John started to shoot the ball better from 3 this season and had many sensational put backs and follow up dunks.   Talented player who I thought got deserving minutes.  This could be a NIL situation were he or his family might got word that he's leaving money on the table.  I'm only speculating.
Lovelace was never going to be a banger so his skill set was a wing shooter/slasher.  kind of a poor man BJ freeman.    His best basketball might be a head of him.  Not happy about this but coach C has shown that he can go out and find players.  Hopefully he'll find someone as good or better.

YsuPride:
Going to be a big loss.  He probably would have started this coming year

Double ET:

--- Quote from: mudclods on March 18, 2024, 02:05:19 PM ---John Lovelace has entered the portal.  Disappointed, but can't say I'm 100%.  Seemed like his mins and production dipped the second half of the season

--- End quote ---

Yes. I am disappointed in him leaving also.The entire season, I was pushing for a 6’7” Lovelace over the 5’9” Langdon at guard to compliment Thompson. However, coach preferred Langdon.

He brought lots of energy to the game. With the success of UWM, he might be heading back to his hometown.

ucfpengbuck:
  Milwaukee had a nice run in the Horizon tournament .   YSU beat UMW twice this season so if he goes there then he'll be Benedict Lovelace in my eyes.  I'm hoping he goes out to another conference.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: Double ET on March 18, 2024, 04:16:40 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Yes. I am disappointed in him leaving also.The entire season, I was pushing for a 6’7” Lovelace over the 5’9” Langdon at guard to compliment Thompson. However, coach preferred Langdon.

He brought lots of energy to the game. With the success of UWM, he might be heading back to his hometown.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I was a big fan of Lovelace and was really excited about him going into this season and was hoping he'd stick around.  It just felt like we didn't get enough out of him.  I liked his energy, his defensive ability, and I thought his shooting improved.  Coach always talked highly of him as well.  He was averaging 10 points a game & scored in double figures 4 times through the first 11 games, but only got in double figures 2 times in the final 21 games and his ppg dropped to 6.6.  He only scored a total of 4 points combined in the final 3 games.

Langdon brought leadership, but his size was an issue and struggled shooting the ball.  I don't know if the year off from basketball hurt him or not.  I honestly would have rather had Shermar stay, but I think his size and injury last year cut his playing time down.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version