YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU in Wisconsin

(1/8) > >>

YsuPride:
Game Friday night at Milwaukee.   Have a good feeling about Friday.
Thoughts anyone?  We need to play solid defense and nail down 10 3 pointers and hit some free throws to win.. we won in overtime at home against them a few weeks ago.  We can do it again.

Dmorton:
Need to have a good Wisconsin trip!  I don't know about ten threes though!  Would be nice!

Double ET:
* Cut down the turnovers to below 10
* Let BT bring the ball up court and let him stay in the game as long as possible
* Keep Reid out of foul trouble
* Set up screen or kick the ball out to Rush beyond the 3 point line. He shot poorly from the 3 with a defender closely pressing him
* hustling for the loose balls
* Keep Burns’ and Thompson’s emotion in Check (less trash talk.

YsuPride:
We can hit 10 3 pointer just need Rush and Thompson to hit some.  Defense and turnovers will be the key.

mudclods:
In 6 of YSU's 7 league losses they've given up 76 or more points, which is well over the ppg avg they give up in league play of 72.7 (4 of 7 they've given up 81 or more).  The only game they didn't was the road loss at Oakland 70-67.

In 8 of 11 of YSU's league wins they've scored 81 or more, 2 of the other wins were against IUPUI which you can almost throw up.  The only other league win when they didn't score was the Robert Morris road win when they won 71-57.

This really translates to when YSU plays good defense they win, and most of their wins have been by a comfortable margin meaning they've played well on offense.  They've struggled in the close games, most of which they've had sizable leads.  I didn't look at the stats, but it seems like they turn the ball over a lot in those losses.

I still feel like in order for YSU to go on a run down the stretch, they are going to need Rush to play better.  Rush has been under his ppg avg for 4 straight games, 7 of the last 8, and 9 of the last 11.  He's went from YSU's leading scorer to 4th.

Pretty much know what we get out of Burns, Reid & Thompson.  Guys like Rush, Langdon, Farmer & Lovelace are all so inconsistent. 

I know Coach mentioned last week that he even asked Rush if he'd like to come off the bench, which he didn't want to.  But I'm not even sure if YSU gains much if you started say Farmer or Lovelace instead.  Farmer is worse from 3 and the FT line than Rush.  Farmer's mid range game is better than Rush's and probably play's better defense. 

We also need better play out of Dynes and Zorgvol.  Dynes has been non-existent the last 3 games.  0 points and just 1 block and has played a total of just over 22 mins during that stretch.  Also during that stretch, Zorgvol has just 3 points and only 1 block.  So between the 2 they have just 3 points and 2 blocks in 3 games.  Dynes has seemed lost in recent games and I'm sure that's why his mins have dried up.

I haven't heard any update on Bates in awhile.  He's missed 9 games now and Coach acted like it wasn't a serious injury and he was day-to-day.  Seemed like weeks ago Coach was confident of getting him back, now nothing has been said recently.  There was times he added a nice spark off the bench and I feel like YSU could have used that at times in recent games. 

Outside of the beginning of the season, this is honestly the least confident I've been with YSU since the end of 2 seasons ago.  The last time YSU played really well was the Wright State road game on ESPNU.  Since then they are 2-3 needing OT to beat Milwaukee at home and really not playing that great in their home win against RMU.  Bad road losses to PFW and CSU and losing at home to GB without their leading scorer when so much was at stake.

It's going to take a hell of an effort to sweep these teams.  I'm hoping for a split, but unfortunately I wouldn't be shocked if YSU loses both.  You need to be playing your best basketball of the season this time of the year and unfortunately YSU isn't. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version