YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Now that you know the final 4 teams where are we in the top 25?

<< < (4/7) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on December 11, 2023, 10:23:57 AM ---Let's not forget that Tressel, with the exception of Ken Connatzer (sp?) and veteran high school coach Bob Stoops, had a very young coaching staff. Some of these guys advanced to become prominent head coaches and coordinators. And that was an era when P5 assistants were not making too much more money than IAA head coaches.

The issue is not that Phillips has a young staff; the issue is does he have the right staff? Can these guys grow into good coaches and move on, to be replaced by the next generation of ambitious young men? Right now I feel that the problem with our defensive coaches is not their youth but rather their basic competence. You can't evolve in your profession if you lack the ability to be in that profession.

--- End quote ---

I have the same observation, especially when the DE's lose containment.  Either the players are being lazy or the coaches aren't teaching them.  Schematic breakdowns are in the coaches in my book.

To your point, Tressel made it to YSU in 1985 (I think). Back then he didn't have the transfer portal, but he was able to make it to the playoffs in 1990 I believe.  We lost in the playoffs in 1990 and it wasn't until 1991 that we won it all.  6 years is what it took him.  The best team being 1994.  It took Tressel 9 years to reach the pinnacle and we still didn't win with the consistency that NDSU has demonstrated.  We only won a few games in 1996 before winning it all in 97. 

IAA Fan:
Just because I tell the truth, does not make me a crackhead. I imply feel we are not in the top-24 teams. In the MVFC alone we have SDSU, USD, NDSU, UND, UNI. Arguably I feel that SIU and ILS are also better than YSU. That is anywhere from 5-7 teams that would be ranked higher than YSU. Albany, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware and Elon (about the same really for Elon). In the Big Sky, there is no less than 4 teams superior to YSU.  Now that is 14-16 right there. It looks like  YSU would be in the top24, but just barely. Other teams I feel are better than YSU this year are ...Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga (WCU about the same as YSU), Gardner-Web, Samford and I am sure there are a few more that are our equals or better in 2023.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on December 11, 2023, 11:43:28 AM ---Just because I tell the truth, does not make me a crackhead. I imply feel we are not in the top-24 teams. In the MVFC alone we have SDSU, USD, NDSU, UND, UNI. Arguably I feel that SIU and ILS are also better than YSU. That is anywhere from 5-7 teams that would be ranked higher than YSU. Albany, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware and Elon (about the same really for Elon). In the Big Sky, there is no less than 4 teams superior to YSU.  Now that is 14-16 right there. It looks like  YSU would be in the top24, but just barely. Other teams I feel are better than YSU this year are ...Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga (WCU about the same as YSU), Gardner-Web, Samford and I am sure there are a few more that are our equals or better in 2023.

--- End quote ---
Sometimes you make good sense but not here. Gardner Webb?  CMon man!  And GW beat Elon. Villanova thrashed Delaware worse than they did us. Comparible scores don't support your position. This blog has turned into a bunch of ysu haters. You guys make me tired.

IAA Fan:
Let's put it this way. How many teams did we play this year (regular season) where you were sure we were going to win? The answer is "1". I was even afraid that we were going to lose to a then win-less Indiana State. I mean I am sorry but a top-20 team this does not make.

YSUGO:
Everyone has good points. Something’s to ponder if this was 10-20 years ago didn’t they only choose 12 or 16 teams. The playoffs have been watered down.  Phillips is not the messiah here. Yes he has improved the team but it’s not close in talent to any of Wolfords teams.  Wolford beat Pitt.  What’s Phillips signature win.  Phillips has not come close to recruiting as Wolford.  As for where are in the scheme of things we are s middle of a pack conference team that couldn’t or can’t beat the top 4 Teams.  We played a schedule with no Bison on it.  We weren’t going to beat them and with that loss we would have been 6-5. No better than previous years and previous coaches

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version