YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Mens basketball vs OHIO Chrisitain

<< < (3/4) > >>

ucfpengbuck:
Just for fun I thought it would be cool to update some ex Penguins and after looking at their stats I'm wondering why some were on scholarship at YSU.

Shemar Rathan Mayes NC Wilmington after 2 games is avering 4.5 a game as a back up.

Will Dunn Grand Valley State (D2) starts and is averging 10.5 pts and 9 rebounds in 2 games.

Myles Hunter University of Tampa (D2) has made 1 of 10 shots in 2 games .  Not a starter.

Daniel Ogoro St Thomas Fl (naia)  back up averging 4.3 pt a game on 29% shooting.

Jacori Owens Belmont Abbey (D2) starter 6.5 pts and 5.5 rebounds per game .  Played 2 games.

Michael Lucarotti Gannon college (D2) back up 6.0 pts a game,  Played 2 games.

Josh Irwin Lake Erie college (D2 ) 10 pts per game and 4.5 rebounds.  Started 1 of 2 games.

Cheick Traore Chowan college (D2) back up 3.5 pt per game and 6 rebounds after 2 games.

Owen Long Emporia state (D2) 16.5 pts per game.  Led them last season with over 17 pts per game.

Luke Chicone John Carroll university (D3) 26 points per game after 2 games.

Alex Vargo Garrett College MD (juco) 28 pts per game and 9 rebounds.   59% field goal

As you can see a lot of these guys might have been a reach playing D1 .   I watched two of Vargo's games and after the first one I thought maybe YSU can recruit him again but the 2nd one he had a bad game and I thought nice basketball player and maybe athleticsm might be an achillies heel at D1.    Alex was out of basketball for two years.  The competition was pretty weak.

Love Luke Chicone.  Should of red shirted his frosh season at YSU and stayed the course.   Needs strength at the D1 level to go along with his skill set.

It's early but shocked that Shemar and Myles are deep back ups,

chezmustache:
     Strong research by ucfpengbuck on a fundamental aspect of YSU basketball.  The facts support questioning
Calhoun’s ability to recruit in the high schools.

Bohannon and Ackuchie are the only high school recruits I can recall who came in as freshmen and stayed four years.

Cimo7:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on November 14, 2023, 05:59:03 PM ---Just for fun I thought it would be cool to update some ex Penguins and after looking at their stats I'm wondering why some were on scholarship at YSU.

Shemar Rathan Mayes NC Wilmington after 2 games is avering 4.5 a game as a back up.

Will Dunn Grand Valley State (D2) starts and is averging 10.5 pts and 9 rebounds in 2 games.

Myles Hunter University of Tampa (D2) has made 1 of 10 shots in 2 games .  Not a starter.

Daniel Ogoro St Thomas Fl (naia)  back up averging 4.3 pt a game on 29% shooting.

Jacori Owens Belmont Abbey (D2) starter 6.5 pts and 5.5 rebounds per game .  Played 2 games.

Josh Irwin Lake Erie college (D2 ) 10 pts per game and 4.5 rebounds.  Started 1 of 2 games.

Cheick Traore Chowan college (D2) back up 3.5 pt per game and 6 rebounds after 2 games.

Owen Long Emporia state (D2) 16.5 pts per game.  Led them last season with over 17 pts per game.

Alex Vargo Garrett College MD (juco) 28 pts per game and 9 rebounds.   59% field goal

As you can see a lot of these guys might have been a reach playing D1 .   I watched two of Vargo's games and after the first one I thought maybe YSU can recruit him again but the 2nd one he had a bad game and I thought nice basketball player and maybe athleticsm might be an achillies heel at D1.    Alex was out of basketball for two years.  The competition was pretty weak.

Love Luke Chicone.  Should of red shirted his frosh season at YSU and stayed the course.   Needs strength at the D1 level to go along with his skill set.

--- End quote ---

Awesome stats and info!

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Cimo7 on November 15, 2023, 07:19:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on November 14, 2023, 05:59:03 PM ---Just for fun I thought it would be cool to update some ex Penguins and after looking at their stats I'm wondering why some were on scholarship at YSU.

--- End quote ---

Awesome stats and info!

--- End quote ---

Agreed! I was asked about Dunn yesterday and did not know!

Double ET:

Love Luke Chicone.  Should have red shirted his frosh season at YSU and stayed the course.   Needs strength at the D1 level to go along with his skill set.

[/quote]

Great effort on your research. I agree with your assessments that most of these guys are d2 or d3 players. IMO, Shemar and Miles would have started in d2 if they could consistently make the outside shots. They lost playing time at YSU because of they weren’t capable in doing that.

I also like Chicone as a point guard when he was here. I was hoping that we could redshirt him in his Freshman year. I don’t know whether he didn’t want to sit and finally decided to leave or for other reasons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version