YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

South Dakota Week

(1/21) > >>

The YO Show:
Well penguin fans! It is SD week! A tough matchup for two reasons, 1. YSU doesn't seem to do well in domes, 2. It is a MVFC conference foe, and SD is looking tough taking down NDSU at the Fargo Dome!

Now, I think the Penguins balanced offense will actually prove to be a bit of a challenge to SD, but we will see. Anyone have any other predictions?

GO PENGUINS!

peteonastick:
I’m not 100% sure what got into our defense against SIU but we need more of that style of defense week in and week out. That was a complete game by the defense. We can’t go into this dome and put up 35 points and lose. Going to come down to turnovers, penalties and special teams like it usually does on the road in the MVFC.

Go Guins!

Wick250:
South Dakota earned their win at Fargo even though the statistics heavily favored the Bison. South Dakota won because they hit NDSU with a 50 yard td pass and a 52 yard td pass in the first half. They only threw the ball 12 times in that game, but completed 10 passes.

In their two conference games (against one very good team and one poor team) South Dakota has managed only one quarterback sack. This suggests to me that our balanced offense should cause them problems, as YO has indicated. It is about time that we win a conference game in one of those stupid gyms.

peteonastick:
First off. I see Midco Sports if not televising the game therefore no local coverage - only on ESPN+.
If this team stands any chance at making the playoffs they need to win 2 games in a row and prove they can win on the road. This is a vanilla team we are playing. We have to be disciplined on defense. Lull you to sleep on running and catching you off guard with long play action passes. Bread and butter. The one area that confounds me is our lack of tight end passes. The teams that have consistently beat us in this conference have had excellent tight ends. We never run our tight ends down the middle of the field to occupy safety’s. I think it’s an area that defenses take advantage of if they know the tight end is not a threat. It’s an area that we need to do better at.

Go Guins!

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: peteonastick on October 11, 2023, 08:54:23 AM ---First off. I see Midco Sports if not televising the game therefore no local coverage - only on ESPN+.
If this team stands any chance at making the playoffs they need to win 2 games in a row and prove they can win on the road. This is a vanilla team we are playing. We have to be disciplined on defense. Lull you to sleep on running and catching you off guard with long play action passes. Bread and butter. The one area that confounds me is our lack of tight end passes. The teams that have consistently beat us in this conference have had excellent tight ends. We never run our tight ends down the middle of the field to occupy safety’s. I think it’s an area that defenses take advantage of if they know the tight end is not a threat. It’s an area that we need to do better at.

Go Guins!

--- End quote ---

Great point on the TE's. Last week we had a new offensive formation with 2 TE's up close in the red. We handed off to the TB, so we really had no use for the TE's, even as a decoy. Maybe we will start doing something with them. I noticed the NFL and Big-10 are going back to the two TE sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version