YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Ohio State Week

<< < (10/15) > >>

The YO Show:
So I'm very confused. I must have watched a different game. I thought the Defensive line did fine. I also think our offense is fine! If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with play calling or taking our QB (Davidson) out to sub in another QB when we are driving and have an int thrown...

I didn't like the penalties we need to clean that up, but besides that I'm pretty happy with how the players played. Obviously would love to win and score more... but I'll take what we had.

coachtress:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on September 09, 2023, 06:26:55 PM ---Guess I see this game completely different.  It was fairly obvious if Ohio St could have scored more if they wanted
We had no answer for Harrison.
Henderson could have had a bigger hand to if he was allowed.
That being said we played hard. My concern is we don’t have a player that can hit the home run on offense.   
We have s good punter.  Still think our offensive  coordinator is below average. 
I think we got out without any major injuries.
And yes we scored a td.  So that gives Philips a heads up on Heacock in money games!
I feel if we dont lose to who we not supposed to.  Playoffs can be realistic

--- End quote ---

Uhh, you had to mention Heacock.  Those money games in '05 against Pitt and '07 and '08 against the Buckeyes, it looked like we were not even trying.

Penquin68:
I think that our pass rush, even with blitzing, did not work and their qb just stood back and looked for an open receiver. Our qb sure didn't have that option. Our secondary looked out of position and at times the coverage scheme with our zone coverage fell apart. Man coverage is difficult with the caliber of receivers they have and the time the qb had. They could have thrown long all day if we stayed in that coverage. In the 2nd half with number 11 back, we were able to play more man coverage which I think worked better than our poor zone coverage. Not sure if we have any other dbs to improve on coverage. Did they take it easy on us in the 2nd half? Probably some trying to get their 2nd string qb playing time. Who knows. I wonder what Mitch Davidson could do as their qb today. With all that time I think he would be very good also.

On offense we did ok and for sure Tyshon needs to be our primary running back. He is head and shoulders better than the others. And as I understand it, has another year of eligibility.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on September 09, 2023, 07:17:36 PM ---I think that our pass rush, even with blitzing, did not work and their qb just stood back and looked for an open receiver. Our qb sure didn't have that option. Our secondary looked out of position and at times the coverage scheme with our zone coverage fell apart. Man coverage is difficult with the caliber of receivers they have and the time the qb had. They could have thrown long all day if we stayed in that coverage. In the 2nd half with number 11 back, we were able to play more man coverage which I think worked better than our poor zone coverage. Not sure if we have any other dbs to improve on coverage. Did they take it easy on us in the 2nd half? Probably some trying to get their 2nd string qb playing time. Who knows. I wonder what Mitch Davidson could do as their qb today. With all that time I think he would be very good also.

On offense we did ok and for sure Tyshon needs to be our primary running back. He is head and shoulders better than the others. And as I understand it, has another year of eligibility.

--- End quote ---

Day wanted to score more points.  It would have eased the fan base.  But there's a continuity issue playing 2 QB's if not handled correctly and it appears to be part of it.

Here's the impressive part.  The Penguins held Ohio State to 7 points in the second half.  AND the possessed the Ball for all but about 4 minutes of Q3.  While we were running the clock down to shorten the game, Ohio State couldn't get the penguins off the field.  Our running game looked outstanding against their star studded defense.  King did a hell of a job (as well as our other backs).  But king made some big plays on 3rd down to convert.  Were we ever a threat to score?  Maybe if Brungard would have gotten a little more on his pass, we could have a 14 points.

However, the turning point of the game occured in Q2 with 8 mins remaining.  The roughing the passer call on the sideline was bad.  Not only that, but the penguins held them on Third down after Ohio State was called for holding.  We should have gotten the ball back there.  Now, I don't think there was a reasonable chance we would have won that game, but they would have kicked a FG and we were moving the ball well at that point in the game.  Could have scored 21 on them but they could have probably scored more without all the QB substitution.

Overall, I feel good about how they showed out.  The score wasn't indicative of the fits we gave them. We should be very good at our level.

Watching the Montana State vs SDSU game.  Montana State looks legitimate.

penguinpower:
One other thought.....the penalties we committed like  delay of game, off sides etc.  Absolutely killed us.  They killed our drives and they killed our defensive stops.  We HAVE to clean that up immediately.  No excuses for those stupid penalties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version