YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Transfer Portal

<< < (4/31) > >>

YSUGO:
Due to our economically challenged athletic Department. The portal and Calhoun are a gift from god! It has kept the stockpiling of players at the majors and gave the mids a fighting chance.  The bigs didn’t want another Butler and with transfer rules eased up were cherry picking good players and recruits.  The portal fixed it.

ucfpengbuck:
I tend to agree with the above posters that feel coach C and the portal are a good mix.  Coach hit it out of the park in his 2022 portal haul and 2023 remains to be seen.  In sales you're as good as your last sale.

Having been at YSU for six years has given Calhoun time to build relationships with players and coaches.  I'm sure he's seen many college prospects at his camps he has annually.
I know he recruited Nelson out of hs and not sure on Cohil but he had a relationship with Dwayne and Brandon Rush while they were in high school.

I always hear that building relationships is the #1 factor in recruiting so I think coach C has a decent foundation laid down.

Double ET:
I hope coach can get players from the portal that will be here for couple of years instead of one and done.
I hope a lot of power 5 bench players will join the mid majors by entering the portal to get more playing time.

Speaking on the question on whether coach C will stay after this year’s success, the FDU head coach just left to join Iona after just one year on the job. Of course, he took the team to the big dance and took down the one seat.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: Double ET on March 21, 2023, 05:26:32 PM ---I hope coach can get players from the portal that will be here for couple of years instead of one and done.
I hope a lot of power 5 bench players will join the mid majors by entering the portal to get more playing time.

Speaking on the question on whether coach C will stay after this year’s success, the FDU head coach just left to join Iona after just one year on the job. Of course, he took the team to the big dance and took down the one seat.

--- End quote ---

That whole dynamic with FDU is crazy.  If it weren't for the ridiculous rule that a school moving up to D1 can't be eligible for postseason, Merrimack would have made the tournament and Tobin Anderson wouldn't even have been considered for the Iona job. 

Instead FDU gets a play in game and wins, then takes down Purdue, and nearly pulled off another upset to the Sweet 16.  It got the FDU program a ton of exposure.  I did not know FDU had the smallest team in college basketball and didn't realize he took a 4-win team to what he accomplished in one year.  As I mentioned before, ironically Brandon Rush was at FDU last year. 

However, with that success now FDU is probably starting all over again.

YsuPride:
Portal New way of recruiting.   We seem to have adapted well and lets ride the success. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version