YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Transfer Portal

<< < (3/31) > >>

Double ET:
Without the transfer portal, coach would have to bring in 4 freshmen this past season.
Adding them to our bench players, it would be lucky for us to win 5 games instead of  24.
The portal makes it more balance for the teams. The NCAA and NIT tournaments became more competitive.
Recruiting at the portal became more competitive and more challenging for the coaches.
I think our coaching staff is doing a good job. We shall wait and see who they are coming up with in the portal.

IAA Fan:
Look if we were not previously competitive without the the portal, just what makes you think we will be anymore competitive WITH the the portal going forward? It is not like we are the only team that makes use of it. If it was Calhoun (not the portal), then he should be just as successful without the portal. Portal is terrible.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on March 21, 2023, 12:42:01 PM ---Look if we were not previously competitive without the the portal, just what makes you think we will be anymore competitive WITH the the portal going forward? It is not like we are the only team that makes use of it. If it was Calhoun (not the portal), then he should be just as successful without the portal. Portal is terrible.

--- End quote ---

I would say he was pretty successful without the portal with guys like DQ, Naz, Covington, and Akuchie and where the program was headed until COVID, injuries, and the portal started. 

So you're basically saying it's a bad thing the mid majors are competitive in the tournament?  And that YSU nearly knocked off Oklahoma State

I'm not going to sit here and brag the portal up, but it is giving mid majors more of a chance

Wick250:
The transfer portal is the most radical change in the nature of college basketball since the beginning of the awarding of scholarships. Coaches that can navigate the new system (Calhoun) will thrive; coaches that are lost in this new process (that Green Bay guy who was fired during the season) will disappear. I don't like it but am glad our guy can function in this new world.

chezmustache:
     Agree Calhoun can function in this new environment and should maximize these abilities.  I would like to see the coaching staff strive more for defense and rebounding as opposed to an offense orientation.  Defense and rebounding travel well.  Offense left us vulnerable on off nights (to good defense and rebounding).  It was evident watching the Horizon League tournament and March Madness over the past two weekends that inferior teams that are quick, play defense and rebound have an advantage in pressure situations.     

Calhoun has been average at best recruiting from high schools.  For every "DQ, Naz, Covington, and Akuchie" there was an Alex Vargo, Daniel Ogoro, Cheick Traore, Luke Chicone, and Michael Lucarotti.  Division 2 talents all.  Atiba Taylor and Jelani Simmons were borderline Division 1 players.  Now Will Dunn and perhaps Jacori Owens will join the list.     

I do not like the portal.  However, we have a better opportunity to win with it than recruiting in the high schools.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version