YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

March Madness should be our focus not football.

<< < (2/7) > >>

Wick250:
It should never be football versus basketball. The goal should be success in both so that fans are happy and coming to the campus often between September and March.

That said, stressing basketball is a dubious proposition in the Mahoning Valley. This area has long been recognized as a football-baseball region. About a month ago there was a survey circulating on the internet that listed Youngstown as producing the third most pro athletes all time on a per capita basis. I suspect that the methodology here was flawed but the data did tend to support the reputation of the region.  It suggested that Youngstown had turned out 72 pro football players, 32 major league baseball players, and just one NBA player.

ytownchief22:
Much, much easier to have success in Basketball than Football. YSU football program is dying and there is little interest so let's ride the success and excitement that Calhoun and staff have brought this year.

Double ET:
I am into both YSU football and basketball. I am more a football fan than basketball fan.
Having said that, there is no denying that, this year, we almost took down 2 power 5 basketball teams ( Norte Dame and Oklahoma State).
I don’t think we have any chance for doing that in football.

YSUGO:
I have always said the way FCS is set up it’s not an equal playing field you have non scholly conferences partial scholly conferences and the big boys like Dakota and Montana and Delaware.  Their FB budget is what 2 or 3 times than a school in the Patriot conference or the NEC.  We are beating our heads into the wall trying to compete in the MVFC and our budget my guess is bottom half.  Why not go to a lower tier conference and be the big fish make the playoffs people will especially in Youngstown come out for a winner and then invest some more bucks in Basketball.  Just saying

ytownchief22:
Akron and Kent have been to the NCAA tournament multiple years. There is zero reason that YSU can't do the same. Time to finally invest some money into the program!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version