YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Dan Rivers local media radio questions why we are in MVFC? His Facebook post.

<< < (2/9) > >>

YSUinBoston:
This argument is a bit circular in some points. Some of these teams that made the playoffs instead of YSU are automatic bids from weaker conferences. YSU has a higher ranking in the Sagarin thing because of SoS. If YSU was in a weaker conference, the SoS wouldn't be as high and, therefore, the ranking wouldn't be as high either. Now, was this year's team better than some of the automatic qualifiers? Sure. But, this would have been a back of the bracket team regardless.

As for leaving MVFC----the travel complaints are probably the most compelling argument to me. I am just not sure what the alternative conference would be. I keep expecting some reordering of D-I football and somehow we see us in the same division level as MAC schools or something, but with the expanded playoff coming, maybe that isn't realistic anymore. It just seems silly to pretend these some of these conferences are competing at the same level as the SEC and Big Ten.

lakesbison:
YSU should of been in the playoffs like und was.  you were just as good as them.
AQ's for dog$hit conferences should stop that would help.

YSU program when thriving is a great asset to the MVFC

nova75:
YSU is kind of in a geographical no man’s land for this level of college football. No regional rivalry. When my brother played in the late 90s we got excited for W Kentucky and Northern Iowa. But very few causal fans around town cared. A local YSU grad is highly unlikely to live or work with anyone from a MVFC school. That in my opinion is what feeds rivalries and interest. There are still plenty of locals that don’t even know YSU is division 1. And even less that are interested that Missouri State is coming to town. As a Nova guy we have Delaware and Towson as regional rivals. But even that interest is tepid. YSU in the CAA would be nice, but would the casual Youngstown fan care that Stony Brook was coming to town? And vice versa. YSU is now 25 years removed from national power status. The kids playing now weren’t even born when YSU had the glory days. Nova has some recognition because of basketball, not really for football. I really think that as the years go by the lower levels of college football are sadly becoming an afterthought with so much emphasis on the power teams and now NIL.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: YSUinBoston on December 04, 2022, 08:54:23 AM ---

I keep expecting some reordering of D-I football and somehow we see us in the same division level as MAC schools or something, but with the expanded playoff coming, maybe that isn't realistic anymore. It just seems silly to pretend these some of these conferences are competing at the same level as the SEC and Big Ten.

--- End quote ---

I agree, I am shocked and surprised that FBS would consider giving an auto bid to leagues like the mac. Also giving up hope that we will ever be in a league with the regional teams that we should be playing.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: lakesbison on December 04, 2022, 10:11:05 AM ---AQ's for dog$hit conferences should stop that would help.

--- End quote ---

That would be a step in the right direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version