YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Illinois St vs Youngstown St. Game day thread

<< < (14/15) > >>

guinpen:
Last drive, into the wind mind you, no time-outs, 8 plays 80 yards 56 seconds!

Not saying that we are top 5 yet but you just have to be impressed with the last three games. The 2 games in Illinois both came down to against the odd drives, but we showed composure, did not panic and got the win. Credit to the players but also to the staff, maybe DP is on to something.

Not there yet but heading in the right direction.

ytownchief22:
Still not sold on this coaching but we'll see. Imagine if they would've started the QB who could actually throw from the beginning of the season...

Cimo7:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on November 05, 2022, 11:24:58 PM ---Still not sold on this coaching but we'll see. Imagine if they would've started the QB who could actually throw from the beginning of the season...

--- End quote ---

Absolutely. 3 losses, 1 obviously to top 10 Kentucky team at the time which I think we could’ve made interesting if Davidson starts.

Same with NDSU and the ND was a game we were up in the second half. So our 3 losses weren’t terrible. Next 2 games will be very telling.

penguinpower:
One other thing I would like to note is that this YSU team is physical as hell.  The strength coach needs some props.  We just haven't seen this in so many years.  Someone on here said it reminded them of Tressel teams.  I agree with that statement.  We have a long way to go to become contenders, but we are much,much better than last year.  We need 2 more monster recruiting classes.  Need to fix the corners, get another QB and RB and deepen the lines.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on November 05, 2022, 10:09:26 PM ---To put this accomplishment into perspective, Ohio State played in the same vicious wind in Chicago and scored only 21 points against lowly Northwestern. That makes our drive into that wind in the closing minute even more impressive.

A special Penguin thank you to the Illinois State player that was called for holding as they attempted to run out the clock.  If not for your generous gift, we would have got the ball back with about 26 seconds left instead of 66.

Since we won I will bring this up.  As several mentioned during the game, that was a pathetic technical broadcast. Illinois State University should be ashamed to hire such an obviously incompetent production crew.

--- End quote ---

Actually you brought a very good point. Ohio states weaknesses are glaring and they played against a good coach. That was a much bigger factor than the wind. Same thing with Youngstown State as impressed as I was with that final drive you cannot ignore the fact that we went half the second quarter and almost the entire second half Without any kind of drive and almost no first downs. The only third down we converted the entire game was that catch in the Endzone. We have a lot of work to do if we pull off these next two games it will be very difficult for the selection committee to keep us out of the postseason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version