YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

UND Game thread

<< < (9/12) > >>

Dmorton:
I for one enjoyed reading Paladin's comments!  Most of the time he was spot on!

Wick250:
Since I went to the game, I had no idea what was said on the pre-game show. This information puts to rest the absurd notion that Tressel could be intimidated to select a coach at the whim of a donor. As president, Tressel has done much to fortify his legacy at YSU. Should Phillips work out in the long run it will be his last accomplishment.

I am as angry and disappointed as anybody, but a little historical perspective is in order.  Tressel actually inherited more talent from Narduzzi than Phillips did from Pelini. Yet he won two games in that first year, including the vital upset of Akron in the final game.  Then we snuck into the playoffs in his second year behind some unlikely last second wins.  But people forget that the third year was also a disaster.  It was not until 1989, the fourth year, that Tressel started to win consistently. And the competition that Tressel faced in the Ohio Valley (1986-87) and as an independent (1988-89) was way, way inferior to what Phillips confronts in the MVFC.

I hate the word "patience" too.  But there are no quick fixes to building a program "the right way" as penguinpower and others have noted. I suppose Phillips could have done what Petrino did at MSU, bring in 49 transfers and try to win immediately (as a ticket back to the big time for him.)  That worked a bit last season. How is that working for him in 2022?

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on October 10, 2022, 05:51:32 PM ---Since I went to the game, I had no idea what was said on the pre-game show. This information puts to rest the absurd notion that Tressel could be intimidated to select a coach at the whim of a donor. As president, Tressel has done much to fortify his legacy at YSU. Should Phillips work out in the long run it will be his last accomplishment.

I am as angry and disappointed as anybody, but a little historical perspective is in order.  Tressel actually inherited more talent from Narduzzi than Phillips did from Pelini. Yet he won two games in that first year, including the vital upset of Akron in the final game.  Then we snuck into the playoffs in his second year behind some unlikely last second wins.  But people forget that the third year was also a disaster.  It was not until 1989, the fourth year, that Tressel started to win consistently. And the competition that Tressel faced in the Ohio Valley (1986-87) and as an independent (1988-89) was way, way inferior to what Phillips confronts in the MVFC.

I hate the word "patience" too.  But there are no quick fixes to building a program "the right way" as penguinpower and others have noted. I suppose Phillips could have done what Petrino did at MSU, bring in 49 transfers and try to win immediately (as a ticket back to the big time for him.)  That worked a bit last season. How is that working for him in 2022?

--- End quote ---

Well it’s also a lot easier to bring in 49 transfers when you’re a former FBS and NFL coach who has some name recognition.

It’s sort of like Deion sanders at Jackson state, I’m sure he knows a ton about the Xs and Os but his recruiting advantage is massive as an extremely well know player 

goodnews:
The head coach is likeable just not sure he will be able to surround himself with the staff needed to be successful in the league.  JT handled the offense and was loaded with defensive minds for as long as he was here. 

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: goodnews on October 10, 2022, 09:43:44 PM ---The head coach is likeable just not sure he will be able to surround himself with the staff needed to be successful in the league.  JT handled the offense and was loaded with defensive minds for as long as he was here.

--- End quote ---

That's not a coaching problem, that's a funding problem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version