YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU football starts Fall camp

<< < (2/4) > >>

Wick250:
Good to see that Crenshaw completed 16 out of 18 passes.  If he evolves into a true dual-threat quarterback, this season could get really interesting.

The YO Show:
There is a lot to be encouraged about the offense seeing those passing numbers and the rushing numbers from McLaughlin.

Our offense should keep us in games this year, but I do hope the defense made strides from last year.

Double ET:
From today’s Tribune/ Vindy on YSU defense::

Penguins defense looks to improve under new coordinator, assistants

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 25, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes Youngstown State sophomore Deamontae Diggs looks to break through the line of scrimmage during a scrimmage on Aug. 13 at Stambaugh Stadium.

YOUNGSTOWN — A new regime has taken over the Youngstown State defense, and the Penguins are seeking to take a step forward under that leadership this fall.

Jahmal Brown enters his inaugural season as defensive coordinator for the Penguins, taking over for Joe Schaefer, who took an assistant job at Texas A&M.

Brown previously served in the same role at the Division II level for the previous four seasons, including the last two at Lenoir-Rhyne.

Joining Brown in their debuts are defensive line coach Deonte Gibson, linebackers coach John Haneline and cornerbacks coach Christian Dukes.

Of his preferred style, Brown said, “My thing is always getting guys to be able to play fast and play physical.”

The staff is faced with a tall task in turning around a YSU defense that finished 10th out of 11 Missouri Valley teams in terms of scoring and total defense.

So far, though, Brown likes how things have gone in both the spring and now fall camp.

“I think we’ve accomplished (playing fast and physical) so far. To look back at the spring to where we are now, we’ve done a really good job,” he said. “The first part of doing that is making sure guys understand what they’re doing. If you have a good idea of what you’re doing and where you need to go based off of what the offense gives you, it allows you to play fast.

“So we’ve been fortunate that (head) coach (Doug) Phillips has given us a lot of time to be able to walk through run fits so we can slow the process down and guys can grasp it a little bit easier.”

From a player’s perspective, junior linebacker Griffin Hoak says things are meshing well.

“It’s kind of fun getting to know new coaches. You have to build that trust before you can go out on the field and play 100 percent for him. So building trust from spring until know, I think we kind of got to that level. Going out for them now, I think it’s just going to be a really fast, physical defense, shooting gaps and just be making plays,” he said.

Here’s how the defensive lineups shake out:

DEFENSIVE LINE

So far, this is where Brown says the strength of the defense lies.

“Our guys have gotten off the ball, and they play well with their hands. They play physical,” he said. “I think that’s where it starts. It starts up front on both sides of the ball.”

The line features a fair amount of returning experience.

On the ends, James Jackson is back for his senior season, and Dylan Wudke is entering his sophomore campaign, as is Andres Lehrmann.

Jackson and Wudke have been “very vocal” leaders, according to Brown. Jackson started in all 10 games last season and was credited with 21 total tackles, including 14 solo tackles. Wudke played in all 10 games, and started in eight. He had 24 tackles, including 13 solo stops, and had four sacks.

Inside, Anthony Johnson and Chris Fitzgerald have worked with the first string defense, and Brown highlighted Lehrmann and Deamontae Diggs as critical depth pieces on the second-string unit.

Lehrmann played in nine games last season and also filled in on special teams. He had 22 tackles, 12 of which were solos.

LINEBACKERS

The linebacking corps features both old faces and new.

Hoak is back for his junior campaign and figures to be one of the heart and soul players of the defense. As a sophomore, he started in all 10 games and finished third on the team with 47 tackles, including 31 solo stops.

Brown also highlighted a pair of newcomers who transferred into the program this offseason: Keon Freeman and Greg Benton Jr. Freeman is in from Division II University of Charleston (WV), while Benton last played for MVFC foe Western Illinois. Benton recently was named an All-MVFC Preseason Second Team selection. At Western, he was an MVFC honorable mention and started in 10 of the 11 games in which he played. He had 54 tackles, the third-most of any Leatherneck.

Also back this year is Alex Howard, who played in 10 games last year and had 22 tackles. Of those, 16 were in the final four games. Logan Pasco is back for his sophomore year after playing in seven games in 2021, as well, and sophomore Devin Johnson also will be back after playing in nine games last year.

Behind them is a slew of freshmen.

“Our backers are playing a lot faster (since spring). They’re a lot more physical,” Brown said.

SECONDARY

Like the linebacking position, this year’s YSU secondary is a mix of returners and newcomers.

Safety Quincy Lenton figures to be the leader of the unit, though Brown says he isn’t as vocal and instead leads by example.

“He does a good job of bringing the young guys along, so I’ve been pretty pleased with what we’ve seen from the leadership standpoint,” Brown noted.

Lenton played in four games and started in three last season after returning from an Achilles injury he had sustained in April. He had 15 tackles and an interception.

Brown also likes what he’s seen from other safeties Tyjon Jones and Marcus Hooker, and at corner he took note of Warren G. Harding graduate Troy Jakubec, Natavious Payne and Valley Christian graduate Jordan Trowers, who Brown said has been a “surprise” and “really good for us.”

Jones enters his sophomore season and played in nine games in 2021, including five starts. He had 26 tackles, including a career-best eight against North Dakota State. Jakubec started in seven games last year and appeared in all 10, and had 26 total tackles and seven pass breakups. He also will be a sophomore.

Payne played in nine games and started in two last season and had 19 tackles.

Hooker, meanwhile, transferred to YSU from Ohio State and will look to make an immediate impact for the Penguins.

Also returning to the defensive backfield this year that have previous experience at YSU are Ezekiel Blake, D’Marco Augustin, Amarian Robinson, Gage Salyers and Alijah Curtis.

In addition, the Penguins picked up Caleb Burr (Lafayette) and Andrew Hardin (Monroe) in the portal, and like at linebacker, have a bevy of underclassmen looking to grow in the program.

And as a whole, are there any concerns for Brown as the season begins next Saturday?

“Not yet. I think we did a good job of cleaning things up (during camp),” he said.

YSU begins its season Sept. 3 against Duquesne.

The YO Show:
Very excited for the season! I hope the defense is improved as described. Will be interesting, tomorrow Duquesne plays at Florida State, so we can get a preview of how good or bad they are before we play them next week.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Double ET on August 25, 2022, 05:40:18 AM ---From today’s Tribune/ Vindy on YSU defense::

Penguins defense looks to improve under new coordinator, a$$istants

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 25, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes Youngstown State sophomore Deamontae Diggs looks to break through the line of scrimmage during a scrimmage on Aug. 13 at Stambaugh Stadium.

YOUNGSTOWN — A new regime has taken over the Youngstown State defense, and the Penguins are seeking to take a step forward under that leadership this fall.

Jahmal Brown enters his inaugural season as defensive coordinator for the Penguins, taking over for Joe Schaefer, who took an a$$istant job at Texas A&M.

Brown previously served in the same role at the Division II level for the previous four seasons, including the last two at Lenoir-Rhyne.

Joining Brown in their debuts are defensive line coach Deonte Gibson, linebackers coach John Haneline and cornerbacks coach Christian Dukes.

Of his preferred style, Brown said, “My thing is always getting guys to be able to play fast and play physical.”

The staff is faced with a tall task in turning around a YSU defense that finished 10th out of 11 Missouri Valley teams in terms of scoring and total defense.

So far, though, Brown likes how things have gone in both the spring and now fall camp.

“I think we’ve accomplished (playing fast and physical) so far. To look back at the spring to where we are now, we’ve done a really good job,” he said. “The first part of doing that is making sure guys understand what they’re doing. If you have a good idea of what you’re doing and where you need to go based off of what the offense gives you, it allows you to play fast.

“So we’ve been fortunate that (head) coach (Doug) Phillips has given us a lot of time to be able to walk through run fits so we can slow the process down and guys can grasp it a little bit easier.”

From a player’s perspective, junior linebacker Griffin Hoak says things are meshing well.

“It’s kind of fun getting to know new coaches. You have to build that trust before you can go out on the field and play 100 percent for him. So building trust from spring until know, I think we kind of got to that level. Going out for them now, I think it’s just going to be a really fast, physical defense, shooting gaps and just be making plays,” he said.

Here’s how the defensive lineups shake out:

DEFENSIVE LINE

So far, this is where Brown says the strength of the defense lies.

“Our guys have gotten off the ball, and they play well with their hands. They play physical,” he said. “I think that’s where it starts. It starts up front on both sides of the ball.”

The line features a fair amount of returning experience.

On the ends, James Jackson is back for his senior season, and Dylan Wudke is entering his sophomore campaign, as is Andres Lehrmann.

Jackson and Wudke have been “very vocal” leaders, according to Brown. Jackson started in all 10 games last season and was credited with 21 total tackles, including 14 solo tackles. Wudke played in all 10 games, and started in eight. He had 24 tackles, including 13 solo stops, and had four sacks.

Inside, Anthony Johnson and Chris Fitzgerald have worked with the first string defense, and Brown highlighted Lehrmann and Deamontae Diggs as critical depth pieces on the second-string unit.

Lehrmann played in nine games last season and also filled in on special teams. He had 22 tackles, 12 of which were solos.

LINEBACKERS

The linebacking corps features both old faces and new.

Hoak is back for his junior campaign and figures to be one of the heart and soul players of the defense. As a sophomore, he started in all 10 games and finished third on the team with 47 tackles, including 31 solo stops.

Brown also highlighted a pair of newcomers who transferred into the program this offseason: Keon Freeman and Greg Benton Jr. Freeman is in from Division II University of Charleston (WV), while Benton last played for MVFC foe Western Illinois. Benton recently was named an All-MVFC Preseason Second Team selection. At Western, he was an MVFC honorable mention and started in 10 of the 11 games in which he played. He had 54 tackles, the third-most of any Leatherneck.

Also back this year is Alex Howard, who played in 10 games last year and had 22 tackles. Of those, 16 were in the final four games. Logan Pasco is back for his sophomore year after playing in seven games in 2021, as well, and sophomore Devin Johnson also will be back after playing in nine games last year.

Behind them is a slew of freshmen.

“Our backers are playing a lot faster (since spring). They’re a lot more physical,” Brown said.

SECONDARY

Like the linebacking position, this year’s YSU secondary is a mix of returners and newcomers.

Safety Quincy Lenton figures to be the leader of the unit, though Brown says he isn’t as vocal and instead leads by example.

“He does a good job of bringing the young guys along, so I’ve been pretty pleased with what we’ve seen from the leadership standpoint,” Brown noted.

Lenton played in four games and started in three last season after returning from an Achilles injury he had sustained in April. He had 15 tackles and an interception.

Brown also likes what he’s seen from other safeties Tyjon Jones and Marcus Hooker, and at corner he took note of Warren G. Harding graduate Troy Jakubec, Natavious Payne and Valley Christian graduate Jordan Trowers, who Brown said has been a “surprise” and “really good for us.”

Jones enters his sophomore season and played in nine games in 2021, including five starts. He had 26 tackles, including a career-best eight against North Dakota State. Jakubec started in seven games last year and appeared in all 10, and had 26 total tackles and seven pa$$ breakups. He also will be a sophomore.

Payne played in nine games and started in two last season and had 19 tackles.

Hooker, meanwhile, transferred to YSU from Ohio State and will look to make an immediate impact for the Penguins.

Also returning to the defensive backfield this year that have previous experience at YSU are Ezekiel Blake, D’Marco Augustin, Amarian Robinson, Gage Salyers and Alijah Curtis.

In addition, the Penguins picked up Caleb Burr (Lafayette) and Andrew Hardin (Monroe) in the portal, and like at linebacker, have a bevy of undercla$$men looking to grow in the program.

And as a whole, are there any concerns for Brown as the season begins next Saturday?

“Not yet. I think we did a good job of cleaning things up (during camp),” he said.

YSU begins its season Sept. 3 against Duquesne.

--- End quote ---

Ahhh..... nothing like an article full of cliches, generalities, and coach speak to fill up some space in the paper this week.  I can't believe both the writer and coach are paid actual money based on the content of this interview between the two.  Let's see how many bullsh** answers we've gotten to describe the "turn around" and state of affairs on defense:

1".play fast and play physical'
2."we’ve done a really good job,”
3. “I think that’s where it starts. It starts up front on both sides of the ball.”
4. "The first part of doing that is making sure guys understand what they’re doing.'
5. "things are meshing well'
6. 'have been “very vocal” leaders,"
7." I think we did a good job of cleaning things up"
8. "He does a good job of bringing the young guys along,"
9. "he isn’t as vocal and instead leads by example."

There are more in there but you get the drift.  At least he could provide us with philosophy, what type of defense he wants to run, how he is adapting his defense to the talent, speaking about specific kids and their strengths etc.

Nope.

Instead we get this article that's completely useless.  Hell, I could have looked up the player information & statistics and then thrown in some general comments that coaches overuse to waste the readers time. That's basically what you've got here

Maybe I'm just getting old, but you have to do better with a native Youngstown audience that knows football very well.  I miss the days of Joe Scalzo writing.  He had a way of getting some nugget out of each interview because he would get satirical of the coach speak if he got zero content.  Hell, he would sometimes do it anyway even after the unspoken agreement was understood and certain lines were not to be crossed (remember some of those articles on Wolford's defense?).

What a waste of words and time. We demand higher standards from both the coach and the writers. Period.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version