YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

RMU

<< < (5/5)

guinpen:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 02, 2022, 07:45:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dmorton on March 02, 2022, 06:05:39 PM ---Still have to see what Lucrotti and Irwin bring to the table!  I'm tired of just being competitive enough to go out in the play-offs.  I know the league is tough, but we have to take the next step!  We really disappointed a pretty large crowd in YSU terms last night!  Frustrating!

--- End quote ---

Just a point on the larger crowd that some posters have alluded to.  I started going to games in 70s when Beeghly was new .   The place was SRO for games againt Gannon,Akron and some others.  The upper bleachers were packed and the place was loud so when I hear about last nights crowd it still does not compare to the steal mill era.
Their loss to Randolph Macon in 1977 was probably one of toughest punch in the gut feelings I've had.  This was the first round of division 2 NCAA tournament that YSU hosted and we way more talented but they had great shooters and Jeff Covington had foul trouble that night.  RMC went all the way to the final and lost to Tennessee
Chattanooga.

--- End quote ---

You had to remind me about the Randolph Macon game, I was at the game. So excited at the start and so dejected at the end.

Crowds were much larger then, recall that Philadelphia Textile usually packed in the folks also.

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: guinpen on March 02, 2022, 09:07:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 02, 2022, 07:45:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dmorton on March 02, 2022, 06:05:39 PM ---Still have to see what Lucrotti and Irwin bring to the table!  I'm tired of just being competitive enough to go out in the play-offs.  I know the league is tough, but we have to take the next step!  We really disappointed a pretty large crowd in YSU terms last night!  Frustrating!

--- End quote ---

Just a point on the larger crowd that some posters have alluded to.  I started going to games in 70s when Beeghly was new .   The place was SRO for games againt Gannon,Akron and some others.  The upper bleachers were packed and the place was loud so when I hear about last nights crowd it still does not compare to the steal mill era.
Their loss to Randolph Macon in 1977 was probably one of toughest punch in the gut feelings I've had.  This was the first round of division 2 NCAA tournament that YSU hosted and we way more talented but they had great shooters and Jeff Covington had foul trouble that night.  RMC went all the way to the final and lost to Tennessee
Chattanooga.

--- End quote ---

You had to remind me about the Randolph Macon game, I was at the game. So excited at the start and so dejected at the end.

Crowds were much larger then, recall that Philadelphia Textile usually packed in the folks also.

--- End quote ---

I remember the Textile coach pushing the chair on the floor after the game.   Not quite Bobby Knight.   They had a guard named Emery Sammons that was one of the best at D2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version